I didn't "dodge the bullet" this time

lovelylola
lovelylola Member Posts: 279
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello to all my BC sisters. I'm a newbie both with breast cancer and the electronic chatting. Ever since my mother had breast cancer and a double mastectomy over 40 years ago. She survived almost 39 years through a time when women didn't only to succumb to pancreatic cancer at age 79. Since my mid-twenties I have faithfully had a mammogram every year. Had a couple biopsies, but nothing to "write home about". Since both my mom and her mom had cancer, I have always known it was a possibility, but I kept dodging the bullet. Well, in my life's "Showdown at the OK Coral", I didn't dodge it this time.
The build up to the showdown started right after the beginning of 2009. Since I was turning 60 this year (OMG!) I decided that I wasn't going to enter that decade of my life weighing of 200 pounds. Now I had a ways to go. After losing 52 pounds, I noticed that my left breast looked a little different. Upon self-exam, it felt different too. I think I knew at that moment what it was but did all the things I should. Went to my doctor, had mammograms, ultrasounds, and finally a needle biopsy (by the way not a fun procedure). The process took almost 4 weeks between scheduling appointments and getting results back. I'm not going to "tattle" on which of those bad guys at the OK Coral got me, but the fence post wasn't big enough.
I have met with my breast surgeon and have opted for a double mastectomy based on my family history. I have surgery on Sept 10th on Oahu. I am feeling really good about my decision and my children and siblings are supporting it as well.
It is strange to think how things happen for a reason. I'm going into surgery generally healthier than I was last year. I moved in with my son and his wife 2 months ago to help save up to pay off bills (Oh, Well!) but it means I won't be living and recuperating alone.
Since my formal diagnosis a week ago, I've done alot of computer research on recovery, options, services available. There is alot of support out there for women like me. One of the biggest supports is being able to reach out to others.
My second son was diagnosed with Naso-pharyngeal cancer when he was 32. He started a website that he maintained with posting throughout his treatment and that his wife (my Alaskan daughter) continued to post to after his death. He told me that it was a good way to talk about his life and educate others on his cancer as well as other cancers. I hope to follow his example.
This is my first trip down the yellow brick road to the LAND of BLOG and Chatrooms. Can anyone tell I love old movies?? I hope to educate, amuse and make new friends. Here's looking at you... Lola

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    "I'll think about that tomorrow...."
    LOL. Welcome Lola.
    Actually, Scarlett had a plan, I think. This whole process, as I am sure you have already figured out, is a one-step-at-a-time, don't borrow trouble, breathe in - breathe out kind of journey. I am glad you have decided to join us here and I know you will meet some amazing sisters (and brothers on occasion).
    If you have any questions about how the site works or what you can expect after surgery, or just ANYTHING (we also have a recipe thread....we are not ALL about cancer), please don't hesitate to ask.
    As you move along on your journey you will gain valuable information and experience which will, in turn, help those who come along the way after you. That's the way it works.
    God bless and keep posting.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hi lola and welcome! I wish
    Hi lola and welcome! I wish you good luck with all that you will go thru to fight the beast. We will be here to help you all the way!

Hugs
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Welcome Lola, I love your
    Welcome Lola, I love your sense of humour! Sounds like you have things in order and good support from your family. This goes a long way in getting through it. Just to understand correctly...the mammogram did not pick this up until you lost weight???

This is a great site with wonderful women, so if you have any questions concerning upcoming surgeries/procedures someone here will help you out. All my best to you and hope it all goes well.

jan
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Lola
    Welcome to the site of the pink sisterhood. Where you will find so much info from warm caring people. Sorry to hear of your dx. Best of Luck through your journey. We will be here to support each other and get through this! Hugs, Diane
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome Lola. I, too, love
    Welcome Lola. I, too, love your sense of humor. All of the support and answers to questions you may have will be available to you on this site. There are many caring and supportive individuals here to help every step of the way.
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Hi Lola
    And welcome to a great site, please come a share often, we are all here you you. You have a great attitude and wonderful sense of humor, you're going to fit right in here!

Glad to hear you have support at home and in place for you, and sorry to hear about your other son, but what an inspirational son he must of been!

Good luck with surgury on Thrusady, get plenty of rest and post whrn can,

Aurora
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Welcome, Lola
    For me, too - this was the very first on-line discussion board I joined.

A member not too long ago posted these words, which I now think of every time I'm here on this site (if the writer reads this - my apologies for not remembering who you are, so cannot give proper credit):

Hope lives here.

Visit often, whenever you'd like or need to. The board is available 24/7, each and every day.

Best wishes to you. And, "The Wizard of Oz" is my very favorite movie of all time! Always wanted - actually, still do! - a pair of those magical Ruby Slippers... :-)
  • lovelylola
    lovelylola Member Posts: 279

Welcome Lola, I love your
    Welcome Lola, I love your sense of humour! Sounds like you have things in order and good support from your family. This goes a long way in getting through it. Just to understand correctly...the mammogram did not pick this up until you lost weight???

This is a great site with wonderful women, so if you have any questions concerning upcoming surgeries/procedures someone here will help you out. All my best to you and hope it all goes well.

jan

Hiding or quick growing
    Every time I would have a mammogram, they would have difficulty since I have large, dense breasts (and to think at one time I was a 32B). This thing either was hiding at my last mammo 11/08 or as I don't like to think - fast growing. One advantage of the double mastectomy is I can finally pick what size I want to be. I'm starting with the 40C (a definite improvement over the 48DD I was in January). When I finish my weight loss journey (and yes I still plan on being under 200 lbs by the end of October - even if I'm cheating a bit), I want to be a 36B! Hey, I can dream can't I. I'm getting packed tonight. The post-surgical camis I ordered came in today. I was so worried that they wouldn't make it. I was laying out my clothes like I always do for trips. I had already packed the post-mastectomy gear when I looked down and I was packing my bras. OOPS! I won't need those ones anymore.
    Hey I come from the era of the burning bra. Of course I was too staid and proper so didn't. Maybe I'll get together with a couple of my survivor friends here and have a bra burning. I can be an "activist" in my old age.
    Thanks for the response. I is so nice to know there are sisters out there. My sense of humor is what gets me through.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    welcome
    Good luck to you! Do you live in Hawaii?
    I enjoyed reading your post. I am so sorry for your loss of your son. Is the website still up and running?
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Lola
    Welcome. Glad you found us though sorry for the reason. Pammy
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Good luck tomorrow!
    I had my double mastectomy two weeks ago. I hope your surgery goes well and that you can spend plenty of time resting and recovering afterwards. It will be good to be with your son and his wife - don't try to do too much yourself while you are healing.

There is a thread on this site where people list their favorite movies. If you like old movies you should list some of your favorites on there to give some of us more ideas of good movies to watch while we're recovering.

Take care!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Wolfi said:

Good luck tomorrow!
    I had my double mastectomy two weeks ago. I hope your surgery goes well and that you can spend plenty of time resting and recovering afterwards. It will be good to be with your son and his wife - don't try to do too much yourself while you are healing.

There is a thread on this site where people list their favorite movies. If you like old movies you should list some of your favorites on there to give some of us more ideas of good movies to watch while we're recovering.

Take care!

Welcome Lola and I pray that
    Welcome Lola and I pray that your surgery went well and that you recuperate quickly.

Lex♥