Breast Cancer - MammoSite RTS

Options
lesliekostka
lesliekostka Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just posted my story in the Gallery. This is a relatively new procedure. Please read my story. This may not be for you but anyone with breast cancer needs to ask their surgeon if they qualify for this option. Search MammoSite.

Comments

• elizagain
    elizagain Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Your sister has quite a sense of humor! Best wishes.
  • mrsbetty2
    mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Leslie, Congratulations on using the new procedure for fighting breast cancer.When i had my surgery, this wasn't even an option. Then about 4 months later one of our local hospitals was advertising it. Wish it had been an option for me, but i opted for the total breast removal.Went thru 8 chemo treatments and now on Arimidex for 5 years. Hopefully we have beat the beast. My prayers to you. Betty
  • jgpaulson
    jgpaulson Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Need directions
    Hi Leslie,

Can you provide step-by-steo directions on how to read your expressions story.

Thanks so much.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    jgpaulson said:

Need directions
    Hi Leslie,

Can you provide step-by-steo directions on how to read your expressions story.

Thanks so much.

I don't think that Leslie is

I don't think that Leslie is active on the boards, so I don't think that she'll see your post and respond. I checked out her member page, and I think you have to do the following:

From this post click on her screen name, which will take you to her member page.
    The post that she mentions is on her Expressions, so you now click on 'Expressions'.
    You can read the beginning of the post from here, or you can click 'Read more' for the entire post.

She also refers you to the web page Mammosite.com.

Most women who are part of CSN have had regular radiation, so they are not too familiar with mammosite, but there are a few with some experience. You may notice that some of the old posts have a lot of disagreement about this procedure. It's still new, so somewhat unproven, but I had stereotactic and sentinel lymph node biopsies when they were very new, and ten years later they are the standard of care. Your doctor is the best person to help you understand the risks and rewards of any treatment. It's good to learn as much as possible about any procedure or treatment but there are a lot of websites that give you bad information, so it's really best to seek information from doctors that you trust and respect.

Joyce
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    mammosite
    I am happy to hear that it worked so well!
    I also had brachytherapy. I had the Mammosite catheter but it was replaced by the Savi catheter.
    Unfortunately neither filled the entire cavity properly so part of it was not receiving the radiation. I wound up only having 6 treatments instead of 10 and I will be starting external radiation around the end of the month or early October.
    I found the catheter to be extremely uncomfortable and even painful but I thought it would be worth it because this would only last a week and my radiation would have been done. This was before my chemo.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    elm3544 said:

mammosite
    I am happy to hear that it worked so well!
    I also had brachytherapy. I had the Mammosite catheter but it was replaced by the Savi catheter.
    Unfortunately neither filled the entire cavity properly so part of it was not receiving the radiation. I wound up only having 6 treatments instead of 10 and I will be starting external radiation around the end of the month or early October.
    I found the catheter to be extremely uncomfortable and even painful but I thought it would be worth it because this would only last a week and my radiation would have been done. This was before my chemo.

wow I just noticed this was
    wow I just noticed this was an old post! Chemo Brain is to blame...