Great NEWS

amcp
amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have not posted in a while but some of you may remember me. My husband was dx 8/24/06 with stage IV colorectal cancer with mets to liver, had surgery on 9/15/06 to remove the cancer and he got his colostomy. Then followed by two plus years of chemo..every kind. In 12/08 oncologist told us there was nothing more they could do for Frank. Chemo was not working. He had been told at the beginning of his diagnosis liver was inoperable and with chemo he might have two years. In 12/08 they sent us to Vanderbilt in Nashville to meet with a Dr Laura Goff for the possiblity of a clinical trial. We met with her on the 12/29/08 and she said that she thought all Frank would qualify for would be Stage 1 which is the experimental trial which is first being tested on humans. It has been tested on human cells in the lab. We went home not excited but at least there was something to try. A week or so later we got a call from Dr Goff and she told us that she had carried Frank's case before the board of doctors and they thought that he was indeed a candidate for liver surgery. She made us an appt with a Liver surgeon and we went back to Nashville to meet with him. He said YES we can do liver surgery but you have a lump in your lung which we already knew but our own oncologist had told us that the liver cancer would kill Frank before the lung cancer would. So we were then sent to a lung surgeon, he told my husband Frank that he could do the lung surgery but he would have to quit smoking before he would do the surgery. That was on Jan 15, 2009 and Frank quit smoking that very night. Two weeks later we were back in Nashville and the lung surgeon scheduled lung surgery for Feb. We were told they would have to take 1/2 of his right lung out but only had to remove 4% of his lung. Recovered for a few months and then liver surgery was scheduled for the end of April. During all this his CEA went up to over 16,000.00. They did the liver surgery and removed 75% of the right lobe of his liver along with the cancer that had now grown and attached to his sternam. His CEA went down to the 200's. In July we returned for a recheck and CT scan was clear but CEA was still 39.6. Today he had another CT scan and another CEA. He then had an appt with the liver surgeon, Dr
Alexander Parikh, who told us the CT was clear and Frank's CEA was now 3.5. The doctor was amazed and so were we. Sorry for this being so very long and repeating alot if you have read us in the past but I just wanted to share with you that there is HOPE...never ever give us..continue to fight and get second or third opinions. We are so truly blessed and thankful !!

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Sounds like a miracle story
    Sounds like a miracle story to me :)

Really an incredible story - thanks for the post!

-Craig
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    great news!
    Thank you for sharing the uplifting story. I'm so glad to hear such good news.
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Thanks for sharing your
    Thanks for sharing your story with us, amazing things happen everyday and that day was definitely your husbands. God bless.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Wow!
    Wow! I do remember your posts from before, and I'm amazed at how beautifully this story has turned out. What a wonderful, uplifting thing to hear! Thank you for sharing!

I'll be praying for continued good health.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    That really is great news!
    I recall months ago when you posted about your husband stopping smoking cold turkey in preparation for lung surgery. I am so happy that things are going well and continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best,
    Amy
  • amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    mom_2_3 said:

That really is great news!
    I recall months ago when you posted about your husband stopping smoking cold turkey in preparation for lung surgery. I am so happy that things are going well and continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

All the best,
    Amy

Thanks
    Thank each of you for your encouraging words and for keeping Frank in your prayers. We continue to pray for each of you and hope that you get the great news like we got. Keep the faith and think positive.
    Hugs,
    Anna
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    I would
    love to open hand smack every doctor and surgeon that tells a patient there is nothing more they can do or you are not a candidate for you only have so many yrs / mos left.

It pisses me off sooo much (yell, scream, ugh, sigh, okay, I'm better)
  • zhguo48
    zhguo48 Member Posts: 23
    What a wonderful news!!!
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful news. It's sooo encouraging. I'm happy for you.
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Thank you
    Thank you for sharing these worderful news with this wonderful on line family, so that everyone as you said keep their hope up.
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Happy Dance
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. You both are great role models of self-advocacy, perseverance, and grace, though I'm sure it's been quite the up and down path.

Leslie
  • Janet3
    Janet3 Member Posts: 59
    Miracle!
    More proof that miracles happen every day! Thanks for sharing!
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Janet3 said:

Miracle!
    More proof that miracles happen every day! Thanks for sharing!

What a great story - and
    What a great story - and motivation to research to find the help needed.

Congrats to your husband for quitting smoking! Taking charge of our own bodies and our health is very important - even more important for those of us with the added challenge of cancer - but important for everyone, regardless of cancer status.