Johnnybegood, how did your port removal go?

dianetavegia
dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I did NOT like it at all! I'm having some pain. I don't DO pain pills but will take some Ibuprofen tonight! Filled the gauze with blood within minutes and the doctor had to change the bandage for me. OUCH

I prayed for you while he was yanking at my chest and yanking, pulling, yanking, pulling... Hope yours went well and that you're not in a lot of pain!

Diane

Comments

• johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    doing good
    they did not put me completely under i could feel them pulling and tugging but felt no pain until now.i do take pain pills could not have made it thru the past year.hope yours went well Godbless......johnnybegood
  • dianetavegia

doing good
    they did not put me completely under i could feel them pulling and tugging but felt no pain until now.i do take pain pills could not have made it thru the past year.hope yours went well Godbless......johnnybegood

Painful
    My spot is quite painful today. In fact, in an area about the size of my palm. I took another Ibuprofen and am going to take it easy with housework, etc. today.

Glad you did okay and hope you're not in much pain this morning.

Diane
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Painful
    My spot is quite painful today. In fact, in an area about the size of my palm. I took another Ibuprofen and am going to take it easy with housework, etc. today.

Glad you did okay and hope you're not in much pain this morning.

Diane

Port
    Glad you both got through that ok. Diane so sorry you felt pain and being uncomfortable. The plus is that you have it out and it should be healing each and every day. I'm sure in a couple days that th pain will subside. Was thinking about the both of you and hoping it all went well. You have one more thing removed to remind you of cancer. Yipeeee!!

Hugs!

Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    at least the port is out for both of you!
    Diane and Johnnybegood,

Time will heal, of course, at least the port is out!! That must be a relief to you. :) It is a bummer, Diane, that your hurt so much. I've heard from other people that getting the port out was a simple painless procedure. I had a lot of pain when mine was put in whereas other people didn't seem to have that problem, so I would be surprised if mine hurt upon getting it out someday (if I ever see that day!)

Take care and God bless,
    Lisa
  • colocolo2
    colocolo2 Member Posts: 5

doing good

Port
    Are you all saying they do not take the port out the way the put it in.
    I still have 2yrs before my Dr. will remove it. But what it sounds like, I'd rather leave it in.
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    colocolo2 said:

Port
    Are you all saying they do not take the port out the way the put it in.
    I still have 2yrs before my Dr. will remove it. But what it sounds like, I'd rather leave it in.

colocolo2
    for me it was taken out in the outpatient.i was put under just enough i could hear them talking but was so loopy from the meds that i just kept my eyes shut.it was not bad at all.sorry you have to have yours in for so long.good luck and Godbless....johnnybegood
  • dianetavegia
    lisa42 said:

at least the port is out for both of you!
    Diane and Johnnybegood,

Time will heal, of course, at least the port is out!! That must be a relief to you. :) It is a bummer, Diane, that your hurt so much. I've heard from other people that getting the port out was a simple painless procedure. I had a lot of pain when mine was put in whereas other people didn't seem to have that problem, so I would be surprised if mine hurt upon getting it out someday (if I ever see that day!)

Take care and God bless,
    Lisa

Port
    HI Guys, First, I'm no longer in pain. The spot is still sore and bruised and did hurt this morning when I woke up. I was sleeping on my left side and it was 'crunched up'. :o) I worked in the yard for 4 hours on Saturday and had no discomfort.

Lisa, I had no pain after insertion. I had some discomfort once in a while if I'd slept on my port or if a strap rubbed at it.... but I didn't even leave the hospital with a bandage.

Colocolo2, My port and most ports are removed in the doctor's office. I was given a number of shots in my chest. It didn't hurt while being removed but I'd grown some scar tissue around the port (it had only been in since early Feb. 09) and took about 15 minutes to remove.

A friend from church had her port removed in the local hospital under anesthesia. She was totally knocked out.

Glad you're doing okay, Johnnybegood.