Question about White Blood Counts

countrypharmgirl
countrypharmgirl Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My last day of chemo was 6/16/2009 (I had 20 weeks of chemo) I went 2 1/2 months without getting any blood work done and got it taken again last week. My WBC didn't change AT ALL!! How long does it take for those numbers to go back up??

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    HI COUNTRY
    That would be a great question for your onc.doc to answer. I would be curious also to see how long it takes, as I'm on chemo now and have 8 more weeks to go!! Hugs, Diane
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Country .. I'm with Diane
    Great question for your onc. I get pricked every chemo or herceptin treatment 6 cycles. Very interesting .. indeed.

VickiSam
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    countrypharmgirl
    Glad to meet you here. I finishechemo in May, radiation in July and and still on Herceptin, they still do blood draws each Herceptin treatment, and the Onc. said my counts are coming up VERY slowly. I hear sometimes it is months even years? I wonder how long it was for our other sisters here?
    hugs, Jackie
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Blood Counts
    I have been out of chemo since the beginning of March and my blood counts are only starting to come back up now. I had to go to my oncologist once a week for shots and last month she told me to come back in a month (which is this Friday). I would imagine it takes some time for the chemo to leave your system. I will ask her on Friday and let you know what her opinion is on how long it takes. It just seems its taking forever! I take B12 tablets and one a day with iron and eat a lot of red meat to try to get it back where it should be.
    Pat
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nuelasta
    Did you receive the Nuelasta injection the day after each chemo? I did and my counts have been great through the entire process.....I finished chemo 3 1/2 weeks ago and FINALLY as of two days ago, feel my energy starting to return.....just in time to start rads next week..!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    MAJW said:

Nuelasta
    Did you receive the Nuelasta injection the day after each chemo? I did and my counts have been great through the entire process.....I finished chemo 3 1/2 weeks ago and FINALLY as of two days ago, feel my energy starting to return.....just in time to start rads next week..!

I was given Neulasta for the
    I was given Neulasta for the A/C and then Neupogen during Taxol. My WBC count never got below 4.1 (4.5 was the minimum for the normal range) and that was at the very end of treatment. I did have trouble with my RBC, though.

I hope that you are feeling better soon.

To my sisters who are on chemo....glutamine helped, Neulasta (outrageously $$$$$) helped, and the Neupogen helped. xoxoxoxo Lynn