Fightformylove...How did surgery go?

kristasplace
kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
How did the surgery go yesterday? I am thinking of you both, and hoping that all went perfectly well!

Many hugs,
Krista

Comments

• Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Oh,dear Krista,thank you for
    Oh,dear Krista,thank you for asking.I finally made home and got a little time to log in the forum.Anyway long in short,the surgeon told me it would take 4-5 hours for the surgery,but it turned out to be 8 hours!I was scared to death.But finally we made it,sounds like the surgeon got all of it,but my husband has a permanent colostomy.We are still waiting for the pathology report,hope everything is ok.Thank you guys,your prayers and support mean a lot to me,without you guys,I couldn't make it.Thank you and have a good weekend!
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member

Oh,dear Krista,thank you for asking.I finally made home and got a little time to log in the forum.Anyway long in short,the surgeon told me it would take 4-5 hours for the surgery,but it turned out to be 8 hours!I was scared to death.But finally we made it,sounds like the surgeon got all of it,but my husband has a permanent colostomy.We are still waiting for the pathology report,hope everything is ok.Thank you guys,your prayers and support mean a lot to me,without you guys,I couldn't make it.Thank you and have a good weekend!

8 hours?!?
    Wow! That's a long time! Mine took a little longer than the norm (i had to get a blood transfusion afterwards, but they never told me what happened), so i wonder what they ran into that took them so long? Funny how the docs never explain what goes on in that little operating room. We should go in with, or send our loved ones in with a hidden camera!

I'm so glad he made it through the hard part. Now all he has to do is rest for a couple months, and enjoy getting babied! The colostomy will be hard to get used to, but i've heard that in time many learn how to control (or predict) when an event is going to take place, and go for periods of time without having to wear a bag. I guess it depends on exactly where the ostomy is.

Remember to take care of yourself some during this healing time. Nice long baths with smelly candles, favorite music, maybe a favorite food item? I totally use the bathroom as my retreat for peace and serenity. I think i've come to know it as the most comfortable room in the house because that's where i spend all my time!!

Thank you for the update, and i'll be looking forward to another real soon!

Hugs,
    Krista
  • mac1212
    mac1212 Member Posts: 31

Still thinking of you
    Just wanted to touch base and see how things are progressing.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery
    Wow that is a long time for surgery. I'm glad that they think they got it all. You must have been so frightened when it took that long. I know some surgeons never tell you what is going on and seem to leave you hanging. Your husband is going to need lots of TLC for some time to come and I know by your loving thoughts you will be a perfect one to help him through this. The ostomy is going to take some time to adjust to mentally and physically. I belong to an ostomy group that are so caring and giving of themselves. I started attending meetings before my surgery. It will be just a new "normal" for your husband. Make sure he gets up an walks, walks, walks. This will enable him to heal more faster and to help circulation. He is going to be sore, but a few walks around the room will be good for him. You are both in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Kim