Food ideas for after chemo

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello, all -

I could use some ideas: For about the first week+ after chemo, my stomach is just off -- I'm not having major nausea or any vomiting, but just kind of queasy, don't want to eat much, lots of things just don't sit well.

I think it's so important to maintain a healthy diet as much as humanly possible during treatment, and I'm trying to really focus on that -- if nothing else, it makes me feel like I'm participating in my treatment, not just being assaulted by it.

Cottage cheese and yogurt have become my new best friends, so I'm getting a good amount of protein, and fruit and fruit juices usually sit well. What I'm finding, though, is that I'm not getting any vegetables at all -- do any of you have any ideas for getting some vegetables in that would be easy on my stomach?

Thanks,

Traci

Comments

• chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Traci
    I find myself eating alot of squash and potatoes during my chemo treatments. The only things that taste ok to me are yogurt,cheese and eggs for my protein. It's weird!! Like you any fruit is good! Hugs, Diane
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    mmmmm-scalloped potatoes....
    It was the only thing I could keep down after chemo. I would bake a bowl of it beforehand(smelling food would turn my stomach), and then pop it in the fridge, spooning servings out and microwaving...

Then, strangely, on the Sunday morning following a Wednesday infusion, I would bake a pan of crescent rolls, eat 2 or 3, and then for lunch I would have thai fried rice...mmmm...STILL love that stuff...

Another tip: I drank LOTS of water. Tried for 2-4 quarts the day before, the day of, and the day after infusion. It flushed the chemo from places it didn't need to be...like my bladder and kidneys....

Hugs, Kathi
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Yeah the only vegetable I
    Yeah the only vegetable I want is potatoes.....rice...starchy stuff seems to settle the queasyness.
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    What I ate was mostly
    Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, even fried potatoes! Squash. Almost any cooked vegetable. Also strangely enough raw tomatoes. But nothing with tomato sauce.
    I also could still taste hamburgers and pickles! Pudding jello and applesauce. Most fruit tastes funny. The only juice that tastes right is orange-pineapple.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Here are some foods i liked
    Here are some foods i liked to eat during chemo, applesauce with cinnamon, add fruit to your cottage cheese--especially blueberries.
    As far as veggies go, cut up tomato and cucumbers and put olive oil on it, another idea is to shred carrots and add to what ever you are cooking. Also, you can add any veggie to scrambled eggs. If you bake, try baking a zucchini bread with shredded carrots. You can also add nuts for extra protein. It tastes great too. I also liked to eat canned peas. Always remember to drink lots of water. Take care!
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Traci
    Ive been eating lots of watermelon, corn, mashed potatoes, rice but youre right, veggies are kind of tough.

Smoothies are always good and sit well...and again, lots and lots of fluids.

Hang in there
    Linda T
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    mlmjt1 said:

Hi Traci
    Ive been eating lots of watermelon, corn, mashed potatoes, rice but youre right, veggies are kind of tough.

Smoothies are always good and sit well...and again, lots and lots of fluids.

Hang in there
    Linda T

Watching ,reading and learning ...
    Round 1 of 6 starts for me tomorrow. Thanks for the great input ..

Veggie's .. only thing i can think of is a weight watchers soup .. Water, canned tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, or anything you may have in the fridge (i would forget the cabbage) .. bring to a boil, and eat when soup has cooled.

Light and filling ..

VickiSam
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Traci
    my taste buds were fried from chemo-that was the one side effect I just couldn't get over! One thing that I found that I liked was homemade soup and thankfully I have a friend who made it all of the time when I was going through chemo and always made enough to share with my hubby and I! She put in spices,but not so much that it was too salty for me.She made this wonderful soup with all sorts of veggies and little meatballs and macaroni-if you want the recipe,just ask me and I'll give it to you...
    The same friend who made the soup introduced me to vanilla yogurt with frozen blueberries in it-something I had never tried until chemo. And tuna fish subs from Subway were good! Just keep experimenting-you'll find out what tastes good and what doesn't and just keep eating what tastes good!
    I lost about 40 some pounds during chemo and rads. My husband was always on me about not eating enough and how I needed to eat(he loves me and was worried about me). It started frustrating me after a while though-I told him,"You don't understand,I don't want to starve myself. I'm hungry,it's just that nothing tastes good!"I told my onc about it and how frustrated I was and he gave me some very sound advice that I'll never forget. He told me to not listen when people were getting on me about it,but when I did eat-to make wise choices(foods that I could handle that were high in protein and nutritious). I know to some you may be thinking-that was horrible advice,why would he say that to her?! But he understood me and I "got" what he was saying!
    So Traci,do some experimenting!And tell us what you come up with!!
  • ainvista
    ainvista Member Posts: 7
    Hi, Traci
    I would eat a half a bagel, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes,
    Skinny Cow ice cream bars, or anything bready to sop up those
    chemo drugs. Your stomach will tell you if it likes what you're
    putting in it. I found that iced tea settled my stomach too. I
    hope this helps.

Good Luck,
    Andrea
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    ainvista said:

Hi, Traci
    I would eat a half a bagel, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes,
    Skinny Cow ice cream bars, or anything bready to sop up those
    chemo drugs. Your stomach will tell you if it likes what you're
    putting in it. I found that iced tea settled my stomach too. I
    hope this helps.

Good Luck,
    Andrea

Comfort Food!
    During the 4 to 5 days following chemo., I like comfort foods best, with macaroni and cheese topping the list of favorites. I find myself eating several small meals, instead of full meals as my stomach is too queasy. Save the special dark chocolate for the night before chemo.!