Radiation.... where do I buy Aloe

taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Alright... I thought I was already ... and I guess I am, (or as ready as I'll ever be)... though when I think about it, I get butterflies in my stomach and my palms get sweaty... and have I told you how much I hate sweaty hands.. YUCK!

I think about going in tomorrow for my first zap, and find tears in my eyes... yikes... I hate crying too!! Always makes my face look all contorted... ugh!

When I went in last week I did soooo good... I wasnt' nervous... well, while I was in WA in July my sister gave me a neckalace it's a circle with colorful stones... it represents "family", when she gave it to me she told me "this is to remind you that though we can't be with you in person during your treatments, we are still with you, in thought, spirit and love"... awe... well when I took off the gown for the CT and tattoo's, the tech told me I would have to take it off... so I did get teary eyed then... and told her... "but it's my family... so their with me..." She must of thought I was nuts!! The certifiable kind... lol

Alright anyway so today is the day I need to make sure I have everything I need on hand... Doctor says to start using the Aloe immediately.... from day one... so where do I buy it???? Also was told to wear 100% cotton tee shirts from about week two... do they sell womens shirts made from 100% cotton... never been much of a shopper except at Christmas time.. ;0)

Deoderant... I've seen some posts a while back about aluminumm free deo's... where do you buy that??

check list:

Aloe************* where do you buy it?
Deoderant******** where and name?
Tee shirts******* any ideas?
Soap********* someone (I think it was Chen) mentioned soap... what is it?? where??

Okay... so I know what soap is... before someone gets smart..lol you all know what I mean!

My last day of treatments are scheduled at this point for Oct. 27th right in time for halloween... maybe I can turn out the lights and scare the kids... you know... by glowing in the dark!

Hugs,
~T

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    T
    everything above you mentioned could probably be found at Walmart! I bought "Crystal" deodorant and I know there are a couple of other kinds out there as well-you are right,buy the aluminum free.Tshirts-yes,there are 100% cotton tshirts.I think a lot of them are made that way these days. Just look on the back label to be sure. If I had to do it again I might buy some men's tshirts-big ones!Soap-I can't remember what Chen said,Chen,what did you say?!!
    My rads onc told me he wanted me to wear wireless bras-no underwire!!! Some of the ladies on here have opted to not wear them at all-just camis and tees.For me it was justification for going out and buying new lingerie-a perk for me!!
    For me it was fear of the unknown. I cried when they did the sim for me. But,T,you will be just fine! And your other bc sisters who have been through it,and those who havn't will be cheering you on!
    Keep us posted on how things go-and read some of those rads diaries by a few on here!
    Love,
    Patty
    Also,don't know if your onc told you this or not,but they don't want you to have any deodorant or lotion or anything on when you go in for treatments. I always brought mine with me and put it on after each time!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

T
    everything above you mentioned could probably be found at Walmart! I bought "Crystal" deodorant and I know there are a couple of other kinds out there as well-you are right,buy the aluminum free.Tshirts-yes,there are 100% cotton tshirts.I think a lot of them are made that way these days. Just look on the back label to be sure. If I had to do it again I might buy some men's tshirts-big ones!Soap-I can't remember what Chen said,Chen,what did you say?!!
    My rads onc told me he wanted me to wear wireless bras-no underwire!!! Some of the ladies on here have opted to not wear them at all-just camis and tees.For me it was justification for going out and buying new lingerie-a perk for me!!
    For me it was fear of the unknown. I cried when they did the sim for me. But,T,you will be just fine! And your other bc sisters who have been through it,and those who havn't will be cheering you on!
    Keep us posted on how things go-and read some of those rads diaries by a few on here!
    Love,
    Patty
    Also,don't know if your onc told you this or not,but they don't want you to have any deodorant or lotion or anything on when you go in for treatments. I always brought mine with me and put it on after each time!

Taleena
    You're going to do just fine with radiation. You don't feel a thing and it takes several treatments before you start getting that sunburned look and feeling. Personally, I found it fascinating. That huge big machine ... and the techs get you lined up etc. Amazing.

The radiation center gave me a special deoderant to use and I don't remember what it was ... but I do know that my best friend was ALOE! It helped with the burning and then when the peeling and itching started it helped with that too. It wasn't nearly as messy as some of the creams and lotions suggested. I also found that baby foaming (tear-free) bath soap was terrific. It comes out nice and foamy so it's easy to slather on your boob and rinses off easily. (I think it was Johnsons foaming baby soap). Of course you should check with your radiation oncologist before you use anything they don't specifically recommend.

Since I work full time ... going braless was not a option ... but I have some very comfortable wireless Bali bras that did just fine. Of course as soon as I'd get home from work I'd take the bra off and put something loser on.

Try not to stew about radiation too much ... you'll do just fine.

hugs.
    teena
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Hi, Taleena, you can get
    Hi, Taleena, you can get 100% Aloe Vera pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Walgreens, 2 tubes for $5, I think. (That's what the radiation clinic gave me initially.) Be sure to get the clear tubes, not the ones with extra stuff.

I wore (and stilll do) men's Hanes or Fruit of the Loom t-shirts, the ones you can buy in packages of 3 or more. I get extra large sizes so that the 100% cotton is not tight against my skin. Of course, this is for home wear. For public, I wear camisoles and 100% cotton summer tops with ruffles or other details on top, so that you can't tell I'm not wearing bras. I bought inexpensive camisoles from Target and JCPenney and Walmart. Also, lightweight vests and jackets help.

As far as soap, Claudia and my friend Joy recommended Aveeno (generic is fine) body wash, and I use that. Claudia wrote that she poured the body wash on a natural sea sponge, then squeezed the sponge over the radiated area. I use a detachable shower head and do not let the spray hit my chest directly. I have the showerhead directed on my neck and back, with rivulets getting to my chest. No direct water spray on the radiated area.

Finally, I was scared, too, and remained so for awhile. Everyone said they loved their techs, but I didn't feel it--at first. Also, I can tell you this: I found out later that techs can be curious and nervous about new patients and how they will react.

One confided to me that they look at the photos of new patients and try to tell how that new person may be: nice or difficult, calm or upset....The tech told me that they have patients who cry the whole time, from the waiting room through the treatments. They have patients who are grumpy and do not follow instructions...you name it. So, just keep this in mind: the techs are wondering what to expect from you, too. And they do notice and realize you are a person. When the hyperthermia machine went down and I was told it might not be fixed in time for me to get the full number of treatments, I said nothing as I lay there, but a single tear fell. When I got off the table, Tina came to me and said Bill, the medical physicist, would be coming to talk with me. She had also alerted my doctor's nurse that I was upset.

So you see, you will be surrounded by people. People with work to do--making sure you get precise radiation--but also human beings. You won't be alone. And all of us will be thinking of you. I'll be with you in spirit, Taleena. The worst part--being diagnosed, and in your case, revisiting the diagnosis! and waiting to know what's next--is over.
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Glowing in the dark?
    That was funny!

I bought Tom's of Maine Natural Deoderant at our local health food store. I'm sure grocery stores like Whole Foods would also have deoderant that is aluminum-free.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Walmart should have the
    Walmart should have the things on the list. They also have women's Hanes 100% cotton tees in a variety of styles. The "relaxed fit" are more comfortable. "Tom's of Maine" makes deodorant that is aluminum-free. If you don't find it at Walmart or Walgreens, if there is a Whole Foods Market in your area, or some other natural foods store, look there. I believe it may also be availabe online? Is that "soap" without perfumes or other caustic ingredients? I stopped using bar soap years ago, and switched to Aveeno liquid. I hope your rads go well, without complications. God bless. Gracie
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member

Walmart should have the
    Walmart should have the things on the list. They also have women's Hanes 100% cotton tees in a variety of styles. The "relaxed fit" are more comfortable. "Tom's of Maine" makes deodorant that is aluminum-free. If you don't find it at Walmart or Walgreens, if there is a Whole Foods Market in your area, or some other natural foods store, look there. I believe it may also be availabe online? Is that "soap" without perfumes or other caustic ingredients? I stopped using bar soap years ago, and switched to Aveeno liquid. I hope your rads go well, without complications. God bless. Gracie

Thank you ladies I knew I
    Thank you ladies I knew I could count on some responses before I run out the door and head to the store... you are all right on time.. just finished showering and dressing and heading out the door with hubby to get all the "stuff".... Okay... Walmart, Walgreens and a natural store are all close... luckily for shirts so is JC Penny's and Target.... shouldn't have to burn too much gas... they are all within 2 to 3 miles of the house! Lucky break there and I will take all of those that I can get! :-)

Aveeno... I do remember that one... don't have a hand held shower head... wondering if hubby is feeling a little handymanish today... (wink) Moopy did Joe install that for you... may have to have him give Dennis some pointers.. lol

Okay well this is it... I am trying to remind myself that I have been waiting anxiously to get it over with... gulp.. now that it's here well... hum... think I could get away with hiding under the bed?? Probably not... okay.... Jackie... if your out there ... I'm putting on the big girl panties... Thank you my dear friends... I truly would be lost without you all!

♥ & hugs,

~T
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    taleena said:

Thank you ladies I knew I could count on some responses before I run out the door and head to the store... you are all right on time.. just finished showering and dressing and heading out the door with hubby to get all the "stuff".... Okay... Walmart, Walgreens and a natural store are all close... luckily for shirts so is JC Penny's and Target.... shouldn't have to burn too much gas... they are all within 2 to 3 miles of the house! Lucky break there and I will take all of those that I can get! :-)

Aveeno... I do remember that one... don't have a hand held shower head... wondering if hubby is feeling a little handymanish today... (wink) Moopy did Joe install that for you... may have to have him give Dennis some pointers.. lol

Okay well this is it... I am trying to remind myself that I have been waiting anxiously to get it over with... gulp.. now that it's here well... hum... think I could get away with hiding under the bed?? Probably not... okay.... Jackie... if your out there ... I'm putting on the big girl panties... Thank you my dear friends... I truly would be lost without you all!

♥ & hugs,

~T

As Moopy said ...
    I just wanted to chime in with Moopy ... to be sure the Aloe is the clear gel type stuff ... I've found it in bottles and tubes. Do NOT get lotion or cream WITH aloe ... they have stuff in them that you shouldn't use (scents etc.)... just be sure to get the clear stuff!

Happy shopping...

hugs.
    teena
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    taleena said:

♥ & hugs,

~T

Hand Shower
    Yep, my man Aortus did install a hand held shower head--well, actually a couple, including the place in St. Charles where we stayed this summer. He does not think of himself as being a "handyman," but he does a lot around the house. (and he doesn't even curse, much, in the process)

By the way, the water-conserving models not only conserve water, but the weaker pressure helps protect your skin. The one we got recently is the Waterpic Eco Flow, but any should be fine.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Taleena...
    I hope you were able to find everything on your list as I know this will help ease your mind to be prepared! It did me.
    Tomorrow will be your start and my end of radiation. It will cause some apprehension the first few days, as you just don't know what it will actually be like and the unknown is pretty scary. Relax, take a deep breath. You will be sooooo releaved once you make it through the first one and realized "that's it? That's all there is to it? Geesh".
    A few pointers:
    It is normal to hear a humming noise off and on....this is the machine working.
    Relax....lay comfortably, and let the techs position you. In the beginning, if they moved me, I would try to "hold" that position (freeze in place). Don't...it's hard to do and you'll worry you moved! They prefer you stayed relaxed.
    Smile, your on candid camera!! When they leave the room....they can still see you! There are camera's placed in several areas in the room to see you at different angles. And they can hear you to! So....no picking your nose or passing gas because you think you are alone!! (LOL).
    Most of all....breath!! I kept wanting to "hold" my breath as I was comparing my experience to getting an x-ray (which is what it's like).
    You will zip through this tomorrow and I will be anxiously waiting to see your first post about it!! And hold your necklace in your hand if you want your family there with you! This will not interfere with where you are being ratiated!
    Hang in there...we are all going to be with you!
    Pammy
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    tgf said:

Taleena
    You're going to do just fine with radiation. You don't feel a thing and it takes several treatments before you start getting that sunburned look and feeling. Personally, I found it fascinating. That huge big machine ... and the techs get you lined up etc. Amazing.

The radiation center gave me a special deoderant to use and I don't remember what it was ... but I do know that my best friend was ALOE! It helped with the burning and then when the peeling and itching started it helped with that too. It wasn't nearly as messy as some of the creams and lotions suggested. I also found that baby foaming (tear-free) bath soap was terrific. It comes out nice and foamy so it's easy to slather on your boob and rinses off easily. (I think it was Johnsons foaming baby soap). Of course you should check with your radiation oncologist before you use anything they don't specifically recommend.

Since I work full time ... going braless was not a option ... but I have some very comfortable wireless Bali bras that did just fine. Of course as soon as I'd get home from work I'd take the bra off and put something loser on.

Try not to stew about radiation too much ... you'll do just fine.

hugs.
    teena

I love my Bali Bras. Soft
    I love my Bali Bras. Soft material, but I have a ton of cotton tank tops and cotton T's to wear also. so when I start RADS, I'll see what feels best. It will be a pain going to them after I take my grandson to school. It's like a less than 20 min ride from my grandson's school.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    mine came from
    drue store good look
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    taleena said:

♥ & hugs,

~T

I'm Here Talena
    Pull up those big girl panties, and I know you will be just fine hun. I have a hand held shower head at home but not in the motels I stayed in, so when I got really pink I just took a bath and poured water over the radiated area with a cup.

If you find a alovera plant, that works good...just don't over-water it! LOL!

Best of luck Taleena!
    hugs, Jackie
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    ladybug22 said:

mine came from
    drue store good look

Taleena
    I am always

Taleena

I am always apprehensive about the unknown. Once you start you will be fine. Follow your doctors advice and use your aloe. The gals have already given you great advice which I totally ditto. My positive thoughts will be with you as you begin your rads tomorrow.

And Pammy, my happy thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you complete your rads. Done, but hopefully not well done. A nice medium rare is good. Don't overdo the celebrating. Maybe do an ice cream party with cake and candy and it will be a different kind of hang over.

Stef
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    fauxma said:

Taleena
    I am always

Taleena

I am always apprehensive about the unknown. Once you start you will be fine. Follow your doctors advice and use your aloe. The gals have already given you great advice which I totally ditto. My positive thoughts will be with you as you begin your rads tomorrow.

And Pammy, my happy thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you complete your rads. Done, but hopefully not well done. A nice medium rare is good. Don't overdo the celebrating. Maybe do an ice cream party with cake and candy and it will be a different kind of hang over.

Stef

Talleena, good luck with
    Talleena, good luck with your rads - once you get started the time goes fast! I am only allowed to use the cream provided by the radiation nurse & no deodorant, even the health store kind. They also are picky about soap - I already use plain glycerin & hypoallergenic laundry soap. Also, only plain cornstarch allowed.

They said to wear cotton bras in a size larger than I usually wear--I got "Just My Size" in cotton & they are comfy--I might just stick with them, around the house anyway.

Good luck!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Akiss4me said:

Taleena...
    I hope you were able to find everything on your list as I know this will help ease your mind to be prepared! It did me.
    Tomorrow will be your start and my end of radiation. It will cause some apprehension the first few days, as you just don't know what it will actually be like and the unknown is pretty scary. Relax, take a deep breath. You will be sooooo releaved once you make it through the first one and realized "that's it? That's all there is to it? Geesh".
    A few pointers:
    It is normal to hear a humming noise off and on....this is the machine working.
    Relax....lay comfortably, and let the techs position you. In the beginning, if they moved me, I would try to "hold" that position (freeze in place). Don't...it's hard to do and you'll worry you moved! They prefer you stayed relaxed.
    Smile, your on candid camera!! When they leave the room....they can still see you! There are camera's placed in several areas in the room to see you at different angles. And they can hear you to! So....no picking your nose or passing gas because you think you are alone!! (LOL).
    Most of all....breath!! I kept wanting to "hold" my breath as I was comparing my experience to getting an x-ray (which is what it's like).
    You will zip through this tomorrow and I will be anxiously waiting to see your first post about it!! And hold your necklace in your hand if you want your family there with you! This will not interfere with where you are being ratiated!
    Hang in there...we are all going to be with you!
    Pammy

Pammy,
    I'm so happy for you-one more to go!!