chemo

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,i thought i had made my mind up to get the chemo.starting Sept.22.The closer it gets i do n,t know if i made the right decision.I woder,d if i could have some input from you on this websight.Right now I have a 18% chance of recuring Cancer without the Chemo.It drops another 7% with the Chemo.I would still have radiation and the pill for 5yrs.I like you dread the chemo side effects.Your coments would be appriatted.would you do the chemo for this percent less?Thank you.(Pat)

Comments

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    3-4% for me
    Pat,

I chose to do chemo for an estimated 3-4% drop in the chance of recurrence -- I knew that I couldn't live with myself if the cancer were to come back sometime in the future, and I was looking back saying, what if I'd done chemo?

That's just how I feel -- but I think you really have to think long-term when you make your decision.

Traci
  • ppurdin
    TraciInLA said:

3-4% for me
    Pat,

I chose to do chemo for an estimated 3-4% drop in the chance of recurrence -- I knew that I couldn't live with myself if the cancer were to come back sometime in the future, and I was looking back saying, what if I'd done chemo?

That's just how I feel -- but I think you really have to think long-term when you make your decision.

Traci

traci
    That is what changed my mind to do chemo.I didn,t want me or my two kids to say I didn,t do everything I could.i just dread it so bad,I am usually not this bad about changing my mind about some thing.i guess i am really scared of the unknown.thank you for your reply.(pat).
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Myself, I'm waiting on the
    Myself, I'm waiting on the Oncotype DX test results. If my numbers are high like above 40, I guess I will have to get Chemo, but I will dread it. If I were in my 40's maybe I would have an easier decision to make, but I'll be 60 next month. I don't know why they can't say you have an 80% chance of it NOT returning.
  • Ksstizme
    Ksstizme Member Posts: 12
    lanie940 said:

Myself, I'm waiting on the
    Myself, I'm waiting on the Oncotype DX test results. If my numbers are high like above 40, I guess I will have to get Chemo, but I will dread it. If I were in my 40's maybe I would have an easier decision to make, but I'll be 60 next month. I don't know why they can't say you have an 80% chance of it NOT returning.

just my input
    I have a teacher at school who did not take chemo when she had a masdectomy 5 years ago. Her's has come back and it is now in her rib, lyhmp nodes, lung and chest wall. I asked her why she didn't since my doctor did not give me a choice. She had a low chance of reoccurance, although I am not sure what.
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Ksstizme said:

just my input
    I have a teacher at school who did not take chemo when she had a masdectomy 5 years ago. Her's has come back and it is now in her rib, lyhmp nodes, lung and chest wall. I asked her why she didn't since my doctor did not give me a choice. She had a low chance of reoccurance, although I am not sure what.

I think one just doesn't
    I think one just doesn't know. Afterall it is statistics, we are all different. I have 2 friends who never had chemo or radiation, one had BC at age 25 and mastectomy, she is now 33 yrs without re-occurance. Another had a mastectomy 11 yrs ago, no re-occurance. then my cousin had BC twice once in each breast. Seven years after the second time, they find distant mestasticies in her kidney area. She got Chemo this last time,but now it has gone to her bones. So you just don't know for sure.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Chemo........
    I just finished chemo, 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan, 3 weeks ago today..... I wasn't expecting to have chemo, but the oncologist again gave me the %'s and I talked everything over with my gynecologist.......all were in agreement that I should do EVERYTHING possible to prevent a possible recurrence so I did it! Honestly, for me, and everyone is different, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...don't get me wrong, it's no day at the beach, but for me it wasn't horrible either, not like some of the horror stories we've all heard over the years. I never had the first wave of nausea, due to all the anti nausea medications...my oncologist is very agressive in that area and also with pain medications for after the Nuelasta injection that I took the day after chemo. Of course there are side effects, again everyone is different and not everyone experiences the same......for me I hated the fact that my taste buds would be VERY OFF for almost a week, nothing tastes right..and I lost my hair 14 days after the first in fusion, have a great wig, though. Didn't lose my eyebrows or eyelashes like they said, I'm thrilled about that, such a small thing, isn't it? They said they are the last to go, well mine never went!

If I can help you in anyway,relating MY experience, please don't hesitate to ask.....
    Prayers and best wishes
    Nancy
  • rosebud5
    rosebud5 Member Posts: 15
    MAJW said:

Chemo........
    I just finished chemo, 4 rounds of Taxotere and Cytoxan, 3 weeks ago today..... I wasn't expecting to have chemo, but the oncologist again gave me the %'s and I talked everything over with my gynecologist.......all were in agreement that I should do EVERYTHING possible to prevent a possible recurrence so I did it! Honestly, for me, and everyone is different, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...don't get me wrong, it's no day at the beach, but for me it wasn't horrible either, not like some of the horror stories we've all heard over the years. I never had the first wave of nausea, due to all the anti nausea medications...my oncologist is very agressive in that area and also with pain medications for after the Nuelasta injection that I took the day after chemo. Of course there are side effects, again everyone is different and not everyone experiences the same......for me I hated the fact that my taste buds would be VERY OFF for almost a week, nothing tastes right..and I lost my hair 14 days after the first in fusion, have a great wig, though. Didn't lose my eyebrows or eyelashes like they said, I'm thrilled about that, such a small thing, isn't it? They said they are the last to go, well mine never went!

If I can help you in anyway,relating MY experience, please don't hesitate to ask.....
    Prayers and best wishes
    Nancy

new & start chemo on wed
    Nancy, I'm afraid of the naussea. I start Adreimicyn and cytoxan on wednesday. Any suggestions on what to eat or drink the morning of and the weeks after the first chemo?
    My doctor is aware of my fear & wiil give me antinausea meds, but it seem people still get sick. ( my problem is that I can't get it out of my head.)
    Any info you can give me would be welcomed.
    Thanks,
    Cheryl
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    rosebud5 said:

new & start chemo on wed
    Nancy, I'm afraid of the naussea. I start Adreimicyn and cytoxan on wednesday. Any suggestions on what to eat or drink the morning of and the weeks after the first chemo?
    My doctor is aware of my fear & wiil give me antinausea meds, but it seem people still get sick. ( my problem is that I can't get it out of my head.)
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

Not everybody gets sick
    Rosebud - I started A/C on Aug 26th (will have second dose this Wed.) and did not have a single minute of any nausea. They gave anti- nuasea drugs via port before they stated with the chemo. Was given more anti-nausea pills after and ones to take for 4 more days. I was also given some to take any time IF I needed them - didn't though. There is so much that can be done today.

I drank a lot of water (about twice what I normally do and I'm a big water drinker anyway) and ate 2 big bananas.

I'm a big believer in the power of positive thinking - so Think positive - you aren't going to be sick. If you have already decided that you'll be sick - the odds are you will.

Good Luck

Susan
  • ppurdin
    MAJW said:

Chemo........

Prayers and best wishes
    Nancy

Nancy
    Thanks for your reply.You made me feel better.Maybe I will be lucky like you and not be as bad as I think.And worried about losing hair,brows and lashes is a big deal.It has broke my heart just thinking about it.Iv cryed many many tears over this.But I am getting me a wig and going to make the best of it.Thanks again and God bless you.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    ppurdin said:

Nancy
    Thanks for your reply.You made me feel better.Maybe I will be lucky like you and not be as bad as I think.And worried about losing hair,brows and lashes is a big deal.It has broke my heart just thinking about it.Iv cryed many many tears over this.But I am getting me a wig and going to make the best of it.Thanks again and God bless you.

You enjoy your vacation Pat!
    You enjoy your vacation Pat!

♥ Noel
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    rosebud5 said:

new & start chemo on wed
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

ROSEBUD.........
    Cheryl,
    I was told to eat something that would "stick with me" before chemo...they also fed us during chemo......I ate a bagel with peanut butter....oatmeal, sometimes. I think the biggest thing is the anti nausea medications, and steroids. I started steroids (DECADRON) the day before each chemo the day of and the day after. Also anti nausea meds were given for 15 minutes via the IV before chemo......then I took ZOFRAN the day of chemo, (at home) and for the next 3 days. My oncologist is very agressive with the anti nausea meds....I took them even though I never had any nausea, not one bit. Take them even if you don't feel nauseated..better to prevent it than try to get it under control. I ate pretty much what ever I wanted, especially the day of chemo when I got home......usually my husband and I would go to dinner that evening, because starting the next day, my taste buds would leave me for about 6-7 days. That is because taste buds are continuing dividing cells, which is what the chemo goes after...food didn't taste "bad" it just had no taste, so I just had to make my self eat...I loved watermelon, because I could somewhat taste that....popsicles were good...ice cream sandwitches.....just eat........biggest thing is DRINK DRINK DRINK water or whatever.....PLENTY Of liquids.
    I hope and pray it all goes well for you......
    Nancy