PET Scan and upcoming surgery

nikrap
nikrap Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good afternoon everyone,

I had another week of doctor appointments and test. Thankfully, the PET scan came up clean (except what we already know about). I met with an oncologist earlier in the week. He thinks things look promising and feels that we caught things early. I met with a new surgeon and a new plastic surgeon this week as well. I really like them both. Right now we have a bilateral scheduled for Sept 22 with immediate reconstruction.

I would like to emphasize how important it is to move on to another doctor if you do not feel comfortable with any one of them that are going to be taking care of you. The first surgeon and plastic surgeon both gave me a very uneasy feeling. I felt more like a breast cancer patient than a person. The 2 new guys (surgeon and plastic surgeon) I went to were very empathetic and both seemed generally concerned about my well being. I have also learned that the 2 new guys are highly regarded in the Raleigh area.

I had an MRI on Friday and will be seeing my surgeon early this week to discuss the results.

Even though my surgery is already scheduled, I have an appointment at Duke this week for a 3rd opinion. I want to make sure that Duke agrees with the course of action the new guys have planned for me.

Now that surgery is planned, I have had more time for things to settle in emotionally. I have been all over the map with my emotions and can go from being angry to tears in a nano second. I know having a bilateral is the right way to go, I am just so upset that I am losing my breasts. I am sure each and everyone of you have felt the same way.

Once again, thanks for letting me vent.

-Carolyn

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Carolyn,
    First off allow me

Carolyn,

First off allow me to welcome you to this site. The members here are wonderful, you will find a wealth of support, information and friendship. I am sorry for the reason that brought you here, but since you have been dx'd, it really is a great place for you to be.

My journey is different from yours, as others will be, but there will also be many who will have walked the same journey as yours that will be able to help you with questions... I just wanted to welcome you.

The emotional roller coaster however, is one that we have all experienced. Regardless of our different treatment plans, to hear our name and "cancer" in the same sentence, brings with it an emotional storm. I'm aftaid that doesn't change so easily. Allow yourself the emotions... tears are healthy, our anger is healthy, all of it is healthy and normal.

Please feel free to "vent" anytime... and I couldn't agree more with finding another doctor if the first one or even second one makes you feel uncomfortable.

Best wishes, and sincere hugs,

~T
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    H i Carolyn
    I think it was such a good idea to get all the second, third opinions. What a good idea. I had a double mastectomy myself and even though i didnt loose much haha when they did it, it was still very difficult to accept it. I was so depressed when i had it done. I felt very ugly and so unatractive. But on to the good part of it. I had expanders placed in the same time they did the mastectomy. I go every two weeks now and they fill them with saline to stretch my skin and to get to the point of knowing what size i want to be. Im already a little bigger than i was before. It is so exciting for me that im getting a boob job that i always wanted. Yes it is a hell of a reason as to why i am getting that boob job, but sooo awesome. When the filling process is over they will remove the expanders and do the implant part. I know everyone on the board can relate to the emotional rollercoster. I still get depressed about everything. I am doing chemo right now. I ask all time why did this happen to me. Why do i have to go through so much to get it treated. I cry alot, but its good therapy for me. I am finally coming to terms with my condition and now what is getting me through it is i know one day i will be free and look back a be proud of myself for fighting this. Try to get outside support if you can. and definatly keep coming to the board and vent all you want. If you dont feel like venting then read other posts. That helps alot. Know that you arent alone. It is so normal for your emotions to be all out of wack. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

take care
    laura
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    taleena said:

Carolyn,
    First off allow me

Carolyn,

First off allow me to welcome you to this site. The members here are wonderful, you will find a wealth of support, information and friendship. I am sorry for the reason that brought you here, but since you have been dx'd, it really is a great place for you to be.

My journey is different from yours, as others will be, but there will also be many who will have walked the same journey as yours that will be able to help you with questions... I just wanted to welcome you.

The emotional roller coaster however, is one that we have all experienced. Regardless of our different treatment plans, to hear our name and "cancer" in the same sentence, brings with it an emotional storm. I'm aftaid that doesn't change so easily. Allow yourself the emotions... tears are healthy, our anger is healthy, all of it is healthy and normal.

Please feel free to "vent" anytime... and I couldn't agree more with finding another doctor if the first one or even second one makes you feel uncomfortable.

Best wishes, and sincere hugs,

~T

Welcome Carolyn and good
    Welcome Carolyn and good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Hugs