I survived France!!!

KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Whew! What a day!!! We boarded the 'luxury' bus (it was nice...complete with coffee for 80 Euro cents per cup, and a toilet on board...lol...always looking for that) at 5am yesterday. Rode for 5 hours thru Belgium and into France to Lille, to the biggest antique market in western Europe! It was huge! And, at the same time, there was a marathon going thru...lol! Got dropped off back home at 12:30am...loooong day!

It was a nice day, dry but breezy, and there were many, many people...many were dutch speaking. I was very much struck when we were sitting at a cafe, outside, and there was a group of young men sitting next. The guy closest to me held up a cigarette, and said something in french. I indicated that I couldn't speak french, but I thought he was looking for a light. NOT AT ALL!!! He was asking (he said in broken, but still understandable, english) if I minded him smoking. I was VERY surprised...the french are not known for offering to bypass their smoking, plus, english was not very popular there for a very long time. The effects of the 'global community', I'm sure!!!!

Tuesday is The Hague, and then on to Switzerland...I wonder what surprises await!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Miracles CAN Happen
    That's an amazing story about asking if you minded if he smoked.
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Awesome Trip
    Hi Kathi,
    Sounds like you're having a great trip. Thanks for checking in and keeping us up-to-date.

Safe travels... Rob: in Vancouver

"Unless one says good-bye to what one loves,
    and unless one travels to completely new territories,
    one can expect merely a long wearing away of oneself
    and eventual extinction."
    Jean Dubuffet
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wow
    It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. How long are you planning to be there. I would love to spend some time traveling like that. Enjoy!

Kim
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Trying not to be jealous
    Man, I am trying really hard not to be jealous. I've always wanted to go to France. I'm happy for you. Sounds like you're having such a fabulous time!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    enjoy hearing about your trip
    Hi Kathi,

I enjoy hearing about your travels! My husband and I were just talking earlier today about some of our trips overseas. We had a great trip in '05 to China and Thailand & another overseas trip in 1999 to the "Holy Land"- Israel, Egypt, and Greece. They were amazing!
    In Europe, I've just been to Amsterdam, as it was our stopover for a half day on our way to Egypt. I was actually born on an army base in Heidelberg, Germany, but I was too young to remember anything of course, so I really do hope to go to Europe some day with my hubby!

I, too, am impressed with the French guy asking you if you minded him smoking!

I wish you a continued great trip- take care!!!!

Lia