HI,CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THE MEETINGS ARE LIKE ACS has to show you how to look better

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,i have an appointment to go to this meeting with the American Cancer society .Its for showing us how to look and feel better about ourselfs.It sounds like fun,do they have wigs as well as makeup.Sounds like fun to me.thanks(Pat)

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    There is actually a web
    There is actually a web page which tells about it! www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org
    They even have a video of the "transformation"....hope that helps! Have fun and let us know how you enjoy your day!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Look Good, Feel Better
    I went to this workshop a couple weeks ago. It was pretty fun - lots of bonding with other people and discussion about how everyone is doing and handling everything. It was taught by a professional makeup artist who also happened to be a bc survivor. There were four other hair/makeup professionals there who had been trained to work with cancer patients. They give you a big bag of make up and show you how to apply it then you get to take it home with you. They were nice cosmetics - all donated by companies like Clinique, Lancome, Revlon etc. They talked a bit about dealing with eyebrows/eyelashs falling out and how you can do your makeup to work with that. They give you a couple booklets about wigs and scarves and another about makeup application. They did have wigs too and if you found one you liked it was yours to take home. I had a lot of fun playing in the make up and when I got home my kids actually told me (unpromted!) that I looked really good.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    mickeymom said:

Look Good, Feel Better
    I went to this workshop a couple weeks ago. It was pretty fun - lots of bonding with other people and discussion about how everyone is doing and handling everything. It was taught by a professional makeup artist who also happened to be a bc survivor. There were four other hair/makeup professionals there who had been trained to work with cancer patients. They give you a big bag of make up and show you how to apply it then you get to take it home with you. They were nice cosmetics - all donated by companies like Clinique, Lancome, Revlon etc. They talked a bit about dealing with eyebrows/eyelashs falling out and how you can do your makeup to work with that. They give you a couple booklets about wigs and scarves and another about makeup application. They did have wigs too and if you found one you liked it was yours to take home. I had a lot of fun playing in the make up and when I got home my kids actually told me (unpromted!) that I looked really good.

Thanks ladies for the information ...
    I looked on line last week .. thought about it, then forgot about it. I thought if I went .. it would be vain. Now that I see the postings, and think about it again, why not look your best .. hair or no hair.

Thanks for the information and courage.

VickiSam
  • chenheart
    VickiSam said:

I looked on line last week .. thought about it, then forgot about it. I thought if I went .. it would be vain. Now that I see the postings, and think about it again, why not look your best .. hair or no hair.

VickiSam

Vain, you say??? LOL LOL
    Hmmmmmm...didn't you also post about getting cheap ( but fun and no doubt spunky!) eye glasses, pop the lens out so that if you weren't wearing make up you would still look put together???? Are you the one who loses your make up bag regularly?? I am giggling here, So Cal neighbor; I think Look Good Feel Better has Vicki Sam written all over it!!! If you find another one, go for it! :-)

HUgs,
    Chen♥
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

Not vain....
    I figured the person that came up with this idea must have figured something good may as well come out of having BC. It can't be an "all bad" diagnosis. So they came up with the makeup idea. I for one certainly would not want to see her efforts go to waste!! I believe I am helping this program to be a success. Besides....with all the unexpected expenses, $250.00 worth of make up is now a luxury and no longer on the list (well, that amount never was in the first place) so I am very thankful to receive it! The multibillion dollar companies are donating the products and if you don't take them, then they are given out as free samples anyway. It's advertising for them and free for us!! Hope you sign up for one and have fun!!! Pammy
  • chenheart
    Akiss4me said:

Not vain....
    I figured the person that came up with this idea must have figured something good may as well come out of having BC. It can't be an "all bad" diagnosis. So they came up with the makeup idea. I for one certainly would not want to see her efforts go to waste!! I believe I am helping this program to be a success. Besides....with all the unexpected expenses, $250.00 worth of make up is now a luxury and no longer on the list (well, that amount never was in the first place) so I am very thankful to receive it! The multibillion dollar companies are donating the products and if you don't take them, then they are given out as free samples anyway. It's advertising for them and free for us!! Hope you sign up for one and have fun!!! Pammy

And is the picture you
    And is the picture you posted your Before or After the Look Good non-vain cosmetics grabbing, Pammy???? Not being judgmental or anything, jjust wondering... hehehehehe

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    class
    I also debated whether to take this class and look "vain" I loved it.I had only 3 ladies in my group plus the instructor. my husband and another woman's husband braved it out with us and they learned a lot too.It was nice to learn how to put new colors on to look "healthy" cause let me tell you i was pretty sad when i got there and almost went out to dinner after i felt so good! good luck! i loved it!
  • chenheart
    mberg said:

class
    I also debated whether to take this class and look "vain" I loved it.I had only 3 ladies in my group plus the instructor. my husband and another woman's husband braved it out with us and they learned a lot too.It was nice to learn how to put new colors on to look "healthy" cause let me tell you i was pretty sad when i got there and almost went out to dinner after i felt so good! good luck! i loved it!

Great endorsement! And your
    Great endorsement! And your picture is beautiful! It sounds as if you had a wonderful time!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    ACS makeup class
    Thanks Ladys,I have my class next Week.I would have never known about it if you had not told me.i am excited about it.God Bless you all. (pat)
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    ppurdin said:

ACS makeup class
    Thanks Ladys,I have my class next Week.I would have never known about it if you had not told me.i am excited about it.God Bless you all. (pat)

I am glad you are going Pat.
    I am glad you are going Pat. I have heard that it is great and that you feel like a million bucks when you leave.

Sue :)
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    LG,FB for radiation, too?
    Hi. I know that the Look Good, Feel Better classes are for people going through chemo (because of the hair loss), but was wondering if anyone who didn't have chemo but has other bc treatments (such as radiation or surgery) has gone to them.

Just wondering.

Thanks.
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    I am going on ......
    October 5th with my daughter. Since she is taking me, at the class I am going to, she gets to put makeup on too so it should be fun. Everyone who is going to a class, have fun!!!

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I'm going on Tuesday (Sept.
    I'm going on Tuesday (Sept. 8th) - looking forward to it as I don't really keep up on what is the current 'style' in make-up. There are 2 different classes here every month - 1 at the ACS office and 1 at the Cancer Care Institute (the 1 I'm going to). I may still have hair that night (it'll be day 14) but I've been told to be sure and bring the wig I've already been given with me - might be a 'better' match for me there then and I can exchange it if there is.

Susan
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Wolfi said:

LG,FB for radiation, too?
    Hi. I know that the Look Good, Feel Better classes are for people going through chemo (because of the hair loss), but was wondering if anyone who didn't have chemo but has other bc treatments (such as radiation or surgery) has gone to them.

Just wondering.

Thanks.

You can go!
    It is for anyone that has been touched by cancer and is in any kind of treatment. A friend went with me that had skin cancer. I went and really enjoyed it. You should go! Pammy
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    VickiSam said:

VickiSam

VAIN!!! VickiSam! It's like
    VAIN!!! VickiSam! It's like $300. worth of free high end makeup....I'm talking Chanel, Dior
    ..the good stuff! Go get some!
  • VickiSam
    chenheart said:

Vain, you say??? LOL LOL
    Hmmmmmm...didn't you also post about getting cheap ( but fun and no doubt spunky!) eye glasses, pop the lens out so that if you weren't wearing make up you would still look put together???? Are you the one who loses your make up bag regularly?? I am giggling here, So Cal neighbor; I think Look Good Feel Better has Vicki Sam written all over it!!! If you find another one, go for it! :-)

HUgs,
    Chen♥

Chen .. I LOVE you .. You know me so well! hehhehhehe
    Yes .. this acs class has Vicki Sam written all over it .. make up bag and all. I will be attending a class in 2 weeks ..

Thanks for calling me out .. cheap glassess and all! My sister told me to throw the glasses away .. did frame my eye's as I had hoped..

VickiSam
  • VickiSam
    dyaneb123 said:

VAIN!!! VickiSam! It's like
    VAIN!!! VickiSam! It's like $300. worth of free high end makeup....I'm talking Chanel, Dior
    ..the good stuff! Go get some!

ok ok ok .. I' m going .. Thanks for the input ...
    God knows I love makeup ..

Thanks ... my cubbing fingers can't dial fast enough to my local acs center ..

hehehehe

VickiSam