he's done! Thank you!

emrose
emrose Member Posts: 136
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone

My husband was disconnected from his 12th and final treatment today!! He's crashed on the coach right now, but we are both silently celebrating inside :) He did have to get the Neulasta shot, which is a bummer cause it seems to drag out his recovery a bit, but HEY - it's number 12 so we aren't complaining!!

Today is exactly 5 weeks from my due date, so I'm hoping that gives my husband some time to rest and recoup and prepare to be a first time daddy :) Since he switched from the folfox to folfiri, the time it takes him to recover has gone way down and, while I'm sure it will be a while before he is back to 100%, I am confident come our son's birthday he'll be ready to go!

He has his first CEA check on October 2nd, and will schedule a colonoscopy and CT scan at that time. (Talk about nerve wrecking - with our baby due on the 10th!) I posted about this before and it sounds like we are following standard follow up protocol. My only concern is that because he was misdiagnosed and the cancer wasn't discovered until he was having surgery, they never tested his CEA when he actually had the cancer in him... so I'm not sure how we'll ever know if its a good indicator for him. But our oncologist said we'll be testing it every 3 months and only doing scans annually. If we had gotten a baseline CEA before his surgery that would make more sense to me. I'll ask the DR about it on the 2nd.

Anyway - the support of this board has been AMAZING! We've been so busy, so I don't post a lot but I stop by EVERY day. I am SOOO thrilled he made it through this tough journey they call chemo - and I am continuously amazed by all of you as well... you have got to be some of the toughest, bravest people I know!

Thanks!
Laura

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Woohoo!
    Laura,

That's just GREAT! I hope your hubby's feeling so strong and healthy when your baby gets here. And then the greatest adventure of your life begins-parenthood!

Please stop by occasionally (or more often) to let us know how tests and things go, and we certainly want to know about that baby.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    Yeah
    Dear Laura,

So glad to hear your good news. No more chemo and a baby to celebrate. I pray this will be a time of recovery and refreshment as you welcome this precious baby into the world. I will be praying for all of you.

I too was misdiagnosed and ended up with emergency surgery Oct 2007 for 2 bowel obstructions. Ended up 1 of them was a lemon size cancer, 8/38 lymph nodes positive, Stage IIIc, resection -12IN. and 6 months chemo. I didn't have a baseline CEA either yet I still get that and a CT every 3 months. They are very happy with my levels now but like you, I would have liked to have known what they were prior to surgery. Oh well, am having labs and CT scan next week for my doctors appt. Sept 14th. Still get anxious about the results.

Please let us know what the doctor says about the CEA and also about that sweet baby. Hope this starts a wonderful peaceful time for you.

Blessings to you,

Debbie (gramma)
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    What a relief!!
    It is so nice to finish the last treatment! You both have so much to look forward to.

Peace and blessings... Rob:in Vancouver

"We have only begun to imagine
    the fullness of life.
    How could we tire of hope?
    So much is in the bud."
    Denise Levertov
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm dancing with you!!!
    This is GREAT news!!!

Now, take care of you and your soon-to-be little one!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    KathiM said:

I'm dancing with you!!!
    This is GREAT news!!!

Now, take care of you and your soon-to-be little one!!!

Hugs, Kathi

so happy
    for you hubby,and baby too. i know its a big relief to be done.and i hope your husband has a great recovery.my recovery has not been so well i have bad neuropathy from the oxy but i am trying to take one day at a time.keep us posted and good to hear from you.Godbless....johnnybegood
  • emrose
    emrose Member Posts: 136
    Thank you!!
    I really appreciate all your comments!!! And, I'll continue to stop by and keep everyone posted!

Grammadebbie- thanks for sharing your story. The oncologist said my husband only needs CT scans annually, but I would feel more comfortable if he did them more often, like you. I'll let you know what he says!

Johnnybegood - I've read some of your posts and know the recovery process has been difficult for you! I'm sorry it's been such a rough process and hope that things improve soon! I'm just impressed you made it through 10 treatments with the oxi... My husband switched after 3. Stay strong!!!

Again, thanks to all of you for you kind words! We are very hopeful about the future :)
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    emrose said:

Thank you!!
    I really appreciate all your comments!!! And, I'll continue to stop by and keep everyone posted!

Grammadebbie- thanks for sharing your story. The oncologist said my husband only needs CT scans annually, but I would feel more comfortable if he did them more often, like you. I'll let you know what he says!

Johnnybegood - I've read some of your posts and know the recovery process has been difficult for you! I'm sorry it's been such a rough process and hope that things improve soon! I'm just impressed you made it through 10 treatments with the oxi... My husband switched after 3. Stay strong!!!

Again, thanks to all of you for you kind words! We are very hopeful about the future :)

your baby
    I have the utmost faith that your baby will be the best medicine ever for you both through all this. Please post a photo of th little one when he or she is born.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Great!
    Laura,
    Thanks for sharing in this great news! You have soooo much to look forward to. Blessings to all of you!!!!

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    CONGRATS
    on getting disconnected. He has reached a milestone and should celebrate to the best of his ability :)

I am hoping and praying that this will be the end of his journey and he will soon be dancing with NED.

Make sure to provide us with a pic of the new arrival :)