housekeeping!

prv
prv Member Posts: 107
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My house looks like a bomb blew up in it! does anyone else have trouble keeping up with everything? I wasn't that great at keeping things neat before chemo!

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Don't worry about it prv.
    Don't worry about it prv. You just take care of yourself. If anyone comes by, they come to see you, not your house.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    hi there
    you need to take of your self. mine still looks like that one of these days good luck hand in there
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    I'm with you prv, blaaaaah!

I'm with you prv, blaaaaah!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Right there with you. xoxoxo
    Right there with you. xoxoxo Lynn
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Take people up on their offers....
    When people come over or call and say "If there's anything I can do...." say "Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm having difficulty doing all my housework. Do you think you could vacuum my floor or put my dishes in the dishwasher while you are here visiting? It would really help me out."

I HATE asking for help from others. I've had three co-workers and a friend come over in the past week and each of them has brought food. I felt strange because my husband cooks and my teenage kids are old enough to make their own food, but I realized that they WANTED to do something for me and I accepted and appreciated their efforts. The food was welcomed by all because they brought things like lasagna, a great pasta dish, homeade soup and fancy cookies and muffins that wouldn't have been made by my husband or kids. I also got a bag full of magazines and movies and a fall centerpiece for my diningroom table (no need to decorate further). Another friend and business contact bought me new pajamas, a book, and a breast cancer (pink) coffee mug before I went in for surgery. She plans to visit next week and is bringing dinner.

My advice to you would be to work on things that can be done in small bits of time or from the comfort of your bed or chair as much as possible such as organizing paperwork, writing out bills, folding laundry and writing to do lists of what you need done. Let others help with the rest of the chores. It may not be done to your level of cleanliness, but if it gets done you won't have to do it yourself (or worry about it).

I've also looked at things that I've put on the back burner because I didn't have time to finish them while I was working. I'm finishing knitting a shawl I started (over a year ago) and have repaired a few old quilts that needed mending. My next goal is to read some of the books I have on my shelves since I haven't had time to read them for the past few years due to my hectic work/school schedule.

I hope this helps.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Wolfi said:

Take people up on their offers....
    When people come over or call and say "If there's anything I can do...." say "Yes, as a matter of fact, I'm having difficulty doing all my housework. Do you think you could vacuum my floor or put my dishes in the dishwasher while you are here visiting? It would really help me out."

I HATE asking for help from others. I've had three co-workers and a friend come over in the past week and each of them has brought food. I felt strange because my husband cooks and my teenage kids are old enough to make their own food, but I realized that they WANTED to do something for me and I accepted and appreciated their efforts. The food was welcomed by all because they brought things like lasagna, a great pasta dish, homeade soup and fancy cookies and muffins that wouldn't have been made by my husband or kids. I also got a bag full of magazines and movies and a fall centerpiece for my diningroom table (no need to decorate further). Another friend and business contact bought me new pajamas, a book, and a breast cancer (pink) coffee mug before I went in for surgery. She plans to visit next week and is bringing dinner.

My advice to you would be to work on things that can be done in small bits of time or from the comfort of your bed or chair as much as possible such as organizing paperwork, writing out bills, folding laundry and writing to do lists of what you need done. Let others help with the rest of the chores. It may not be done to your level of cleanliness, but if it gets done you won't have to do it yourself (or worry about it).

I've also looked at things that I've put on the back burner because I didn't have time to finish them while I was working. I'm finishing knitting a shawl I started (over a year ago) and have repaired a few old quilts that needed mending. My next goal is to read some of the books I have on my shelves since I haven't had time to read them for the past few years due to my hectic work/school schedule.

I hope this helps.

Housekeeping
    What I did was dust the living room and dining room one day and then the next do the two bedroom and computer room one day do Jake's bathroom and then the next day do my bathroom and then I do all the vacuuming on another day. I do one load of laundry every 2 or 3 days.

I can't do the whole house in one day anymore unless I want to wear myself out and fall asleep before 7pm--really can't do that with a 6 year old.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I've heard of service that
    I've heard of service that helps with cleaning while you are on chemo. I have not used the services but just passing info along. It's www.cleaningforareason.org.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Absolutely! I wasn't good
    Absolutely! I wasn't good w/keeping up before, during and after!! Don't worry about it!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565

Housekeeping
    What I did was dust the living room and dining room one day and then the next do the two bedroom and computer room one day do Jake's bathroom and then the next day do my bathroom and then I do all the vacuuming on another day. I do one load of laundry every 2 or 3 days.

I can't do the whole house in one day anymore unless I want to wear myself out and fall asleep before 7pm--really can't do that with a 6 year old.

Hugs,
    Margo

Margo,
    that sounds like a plan that I will try to use,cause I can't clean the house in one day and it's just my husband and I.Do a few things every day.
    And Marcia,I've heard about that program-what a great idea!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I've heard of service that
    I've heard of service that helps with cleaning while you are on chemo. I have not used the services but just passing info along. It's www.cleaningforareason.org.

Marcia .. Thanks for the information
    I may check into this ...
  • Tyari
    Tyari Member Posts: 36
    Eil4186 said:

Absolutely! I wasn't good
    Absolutely! I wasn't good w/keeping up before, during and after!! Don't worry about it!

I tell people if they come
    I tell people if they come to see me, come on over. If they are coming to see the house make an appointment!

TY
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Just take it one step at a
    Just take it one step at a time. We're not the same people we were before this journey and our priorities are a little different right now. That's not a bad thing!