chemo

ppurdin
ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,i will be starting Chemo in 2weeks.I am curios.I have been reading where you have to be careful with about germs and people with colds and such.My dr. I am sure will tell me allthis when i go for treatments.But if some of you will tell me what to exspect.I know everyone is different with it I hear.do you feel any different the first treatment.Iv been told I will lose my hair after second treatment.I would appriatte your views good or bad.Thank you.God bless.

Comments

• Ms_Nellie
    Ms_Nellie Member Posts: 40
    Chemo Experience
    I started my chemotheraphy on August 4, 2009. I was diagnoised with stage 2A infilterating breast cancer. I had some nausea that I took the anti-nausea pills for. I felt tired more than usual. My hair started to come out the second week after treatment (about 14 days). I got my head shaved right away to minimize the trauma of prolonged hair loss. I also decided not to wear a wig, I just wear scarves and bandannas to work. I think I am beautiful bald.

It is very important to be careful around sick people and crowds. The immune system is very challenged due to the treatment. It is a lot easier to get infections during the chemotheraphy.

I returned to work three days after my first treatment and everything was OK. I rode my motorcycle today for the first time after treatment started and it felt great. I actually haven't had many bad days.

My second treatment cycle (Aug. 25) was actually a bit easier than the first. I didn't have as mush nausea. I did have some bone pain from the day after shot I take. The shot promotes the bone marrow to produce more white blood cells.

I found it is very important to to short rest breaks to re-energize throughout the day. I haven't had any problems with mouth sores so far. I have been able to eat any and everything I want to. I also drink lots of fluids the day before theraphy, the day of theraphy and after especially after treatment.

A positive attitude is one of your best allies through all of this. And being a Christian has helped me to keep things in perspective and trust and depend on God to help me through this journey.

I also participate in a breast cancer survior support group through the Wellness Community. It helps to talk to others going through this and provide support for each other.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that you have the courage, strength, hope and faith needed for your journey.

Take Care and laugh a lot.

Nellie

Although chemotheraphy is as individual as the survior we do experience a lot of the same things.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I had my port in on the Aug.
    I had my port in on the Aug. 25th and first AC on 26th. I was given an education lesson (about 1 hr.) directly before going back to start. I have IBC so Chemo is the first round of treatment (at least for me). Had no nausea at all but did get a 'brain freeze' so they slowed down the infusion and it was gone. Still have had no nausea but did get real sleepy/tired on Sunday afternoon and stayed very tired/sleepy until Tuesday afternoon. Since then I've been getting closer back to "normal" every day. Still have hair (LOL) but figure it's getting real close to being on borrowed time. Son (30 y/o) is planning on getting to shave my head when it starts 'leaving'.
    Will see what next Wed. brings - blood work first, meet with Dr.T, then to chemo, neulasta the next day IF goes as planned right now.
  • Rague
    I had my port in on the Aug. 25th and first AC on 26th. I was given an education lesson (about 1 hr.) directly before going back to start. I have IBC so Chemo is the first round of treatment (at least for me). Had no nausea at all but did get a 'brain freeze' so they slowed down the infusion and it was gone. Still have had no nausea but did get real sleepy/tired on Sunday afternoon and stayed very tired/sleepy until Tuesday afternoon. Since then I've been getting closer back to "normal" every day. Still have hair (LOL) but figure it's getting real close to being on borrowed time. Son (30 y/o) is planning on getting to shave my head when it starts 'leaving'.
    Will see what next Wed. brings - blood work first, meet with Dr.T, then to chemo, neulasta the next day IF goes as planned right now.
  • Rague
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Hi there
    I am on chemo now and have had two rounds. They should give you nausea meds to take home with you. Take them starting the day after chemo (they gave me pre meds of nausea and steroids before chemo) in the morning even if you have no nausea. This will help keep it away. The nausea meds are wonderful. Drink plenty of water after chemo too. My hair started to fall out about 11 days after my first treatment. It was a little at first, but then i couldnt brush it or wash it without clumps coming out. Then it even fell out when i was just sitting down, so i shaved the rest and it was actually a relief. About the third to the fifth or sixth day after chemo for me i am real drained and tired. I dont sleep well though. I have had night sweats after treatments in the same time frame. I also get a rash in my mouth and my taste buds are gone. I brush my teeth constantly, but i still get the rash. Its like thrush. They have a mouth swish that they can prescribe for this. As far as germs go, you have to be extra careful around anyone. Use hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap, wipes. My onc told me that days 10-14 after chemo is when my immune system would be the lowest or most volnerable. Getting any kind of fever you have to call your onc right away. The treatment itself was not as bad as i thought it would be. The worst part was on my first one i didnt have a port yet and they had to stick me six times before they got a vein. You will do just fine. Hope it goes well for you. Keep us posted
    laura
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    If you are having A/C
    you may have trouble sleeping the first night or so, from the steroids they give you as pre-meds. I didn't expect the insomnia following my first treatment. It doesn't feel bad...just annoying. The next treatment, I was given ativan so I could sleep. That solved the problem.