Oncologist appt. today - one step back....

Options
Wolfi
Wolfi Member Posts: 425
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Back from the oncologist appointment today with a small setback:

Although my margins were clean and they removed all the cancer, it was within .1 mm of my chest wall (there is a decimal in front of the one).

The oncologist said I had basically three choices:
1. Do nothing and hope the cancer doesn't end up coming back later on
2. Have my surgeon open me up again and remove my chest muscles in that area
3. Start a radiology/tamoxifen therapy to make sure everything is gone for good.

I decided on the radiology/tamoxifen and will meet with a radiologist in two weeks.

I've been told this whole time I wouldn't have to have radiation so now I'll have to go back and read all of your radiation posts in more detail so I know what may come up during treatment.

I'm still smiling though - this shouldn't be as bad as what I've already been through so far.

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    You have one more
    You have one more option....or at least something to put in the mix:

What would your Dr recommend if this was his favorite niece, only daughter, loving mom, amazing wife??????? That's a pretty good touch-stone, in my book. Ask him!

Hugs, and I know WHATEVER you decide you will handle it with the grace, dignity, and courage you have already shown.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Booberta
    Booberta Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Oh Wolfi
    Does the fun never end? I hope your choice of treatment goes well for you. I hope you're able to avoid further surgery. From what I hear, rads and chemo are no walk in the park.

Best wishes for you. I know that you will do what is right for you.

Love and Peace
    Roberta
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Booberta said:

Oh Wolfi
    Does the fun never end? I hope your choice of treatment goes well for you. I hope you're able to avoid further surgery. From what I hear, rads and chemo are no walk in the park.

Best wishes for you. I know that you will do what is right for you.

Love and Peace
    Roberta

Claudia is right: I learn a

Claudia is right: I learn a lot by asking what a doctor would recommend for a loved one. I often find that their advice is the direction that I was leaning toward and it helps to give me peace with my decision.

It's really hard to keep thinking that you're done with treatments and then find out you need more: I've been there and know how frustrating it can be. I found radiation to be a walk in the park compared to the surgeries, waiting and wondering. If you go that route, just make sure to treat yourself well, and don't exhaust yourself. On the other hand, the less you think about it, the better, so I've found for me it's not good to put the rest of my life totally on hold while I had treatments. I hope this last step is easy for you and quickly resolved.

Joyce
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    jk1952 said:

Claudia is right: I learn a

Claudia is right: I learn a lot by asking what a doctor would recommend for a loved one. I often find that their advice is the direction that I was leaning toward and it helps to give me peace with my decision.

It's really hard to keep thinking that you're done with treatments and then find out you need more: I've been there and know how frustrating it can be. I found radiation to be a walk in the park compared to the surgeries, waiting and wondering. If you go that route, just make sure to treat yourself well, and don't exhaust yourself. On the other hand, the less you think about it, the better, so I've found for me it's not good to put the rest of my life totally on hold while I had treatments. I hope this last step is easy for you and quickly resolved.

Joyce

wolfi
    It is a very difficult decission when the balls in your court and you have to decide on what to do with it. I would do something and not nothing at all and i think it was rather rude of the dr to suggest that and say just hope it doesnt come back. Nobody can make the decission for you and im sorry that you have to do something now that you thought you wouldnt have to. From what it sounds like though, rads arent that bad. I dont know though, im just having chemo. I guess really i shouldnt say rads arent that bad, nobody wants to do it. That was a pretty stupid comment on my part and im sorry. Just know that one day, you will be looking back on this day and your treatments and be dancing with NED. Take care
    laura
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Options
    lolad said:

wolfi
    It is a very difficult decission when the balls in your court and you have to decide on what to do with it. I would do something and not nothing at all and i think it was rather rude of the dr to suggest that and say just hope it doesnt come back. Nobody can make the decission for you and im sorry that you have to do something now that you thought you wouldnt have to. From what it sounds like though, rads arent that bad. I dont know though, im just having chemo. I guess really i shouldnt say rads arent that bad, nobody wants to do it. That was a pretty stupid comment on my part and im sorry. Just know that one day, you will be looking back on this day and your treatments and be dancing with NED. Take care
    laura

Doing something
    I didn't get the impression from the oncologist that he would recommend doing nothing - he was just telling me the options I had. I'm comfortable with my decision for radiation/meds and I got the impression it was what he (the doctor) would recommend to a relative. It seems to be the least invasive/best outcome solution possible and although it may be overkill (no pun intended) to get blasted with radiation, it certainly will keep me further away from the percentage of patients who have reoccurances later in life.

From what I've read so far about rads they (like surgery, chemo or medication) cause different reactions for different people. I'm not expecting to have it be painless or easy (just the daily appointments 45 minutes away will be enough of a problem), but I am looking towards the future and will deal with any skin issues, exhaustion or pain knowing it will end at some point.
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wolfi said:

Doing something
    I didn't get the impression from the oncologist that he would recommend doing nothing - he was just telling me the options I had. I'm comfortable with my decision for radiation/meds and I got the impression it was what he (the doctor) would recommend to a relative. It seems to be the least invasive/best outcome solution possible and although it may be overkill (no pun intended) to get blasted with radiation, it certainly will keep me further away from the percentage of patients who have reoccurances later in life.

From what I've read so far about rads they (like surgery, chemo or medication) cause different reactions for different people. I'm not expecting to have it be painless or easy (just the daily appointments 45 minutes away will be enough of a problem), but I am looking towards the future and will deal with any skin issues, exhaustion or pain knowing it will end at some point.

Wolfi
    You've got the right attitude, and I think it was the choice I would of made too, if put in you shoes. Good luck with rad's, I'll be starting around the 15th, looks like we'll be doing this together.

God Bless,

Aurora