Tamoxifen and dosage

Akiss4me
Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone. Just got a phone call I had to share.
I broke down and took my script for Tamoxifen to CVS to be filled. Mind you, I've had it in my posession for 2 months!!
The pharmacist called me and said he was going to call my Medical Oncologist before he filled it because he thinks the dosage is wrong. Apparently the script was for 10mg once a day. He said it should be twice a day for 10mg or changed to 20mg once a day. He just called back a few minutes ago. He was correct and it was changed to 20mg once a day...
So glad he had my back!! I would not have been taking enough to benefit me if this was not caught.
My Med Onc office called and apologized for the error. They said it would have been caught when I went back in November, but this was no excuse for the wrong dosage in the first place. I understand mistakes can happen and the nurse that filled out the script was reprimanded. No harm done and my trust in my Doc has not been comprimised. I have just been another lesson in life to them to be more diligent in what they are doing. No foul, no harm.
So, now I'm curious....does this mean twice the intensity of side effects since it is now twice the dose? LOL, Maybe my hubby should think about camping out at the Pharmacists house when Cybil comes to visit? After all...he started this!!
Pammy

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Stirring up some dirt!
    Nope...it simply means that you will be remain cancer free TWICE as long! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
    While on the subject of "moodiness" and believe me, I know this will not be met with agreement, and of course there are always exceptions to most every rule ever written, but I have a theory. (OH NO!!!)

I think, generally speaking, saying we are PMS-ing or Pre-Peri-Meno-or Post-menopausal and then being mean, rude, or otherwise B**chy is just an excuse for bad behaviour! If, while going through these same days, we were invited to have lunch with Brad Pitt, or Michelle Obama, or Bono , or The Pope, or Derek Jeter, or Oprah, or we had to go to traffic court and face a judge, well, fill in the blanks. Betcha dollars to donuts most of us would be gracious, giddy, kind and in all around Good behaviour! I say this by having watched 3 teenage girls maneuver their way at home with parents and then with their peers .....night and day difference.

But, as with lots of things, I know I can be 100% wrong, too! LOL I just won't admit it! hahaha

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Tamoxifen...
    It is my layman's understanding (am not a doctor, nor pharmacist!) that Tamoxifen is quickly metabolized by the system, and that 20mg per day/24 hours is standard dosage. In other words, 20mg will take 24 hours to be absorbed by your system; then, it's gone. Which is also why it's very important to take it at the same time each day.

However, if a patient experiences/complains of intense side effects (and since everyone's metabolism varies) - the prescription can then become 10mg twice per day/one pill every 12 hours. Again, very important to take the pills at the same time each day. Same total dosage per day/24 hours.

I took Tamoxifen for 2 years - then, was switched to Arimidex (which I still take, 3+ years now and still counting...). Had the 20mg/one pill per day script.

Hope this helps, Pammy.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Akiss4me
    chenheart said:

Stirring up some dirt!
    Nope...it simply means that you will be remain cancer free TWICE as long! That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
    While on the subject of "moodiness" and believe me, I know this will not be met with agreement, and of course there are always exceptions to most every rule ever written, but I have a theory. (OH NO!!!)

I think, generally speaking, saying we are PMS-ing or Pre-Peri-Meno-or Post-menopausal and then being mean, rude, or otherwise B**chy is just an excuse for bad behaviour! If, while going through these same days, we were invited to have lunch with Brad Pitt, or Michelle Obama, or Bono , or The Pope, or Derek Jeter, or Oprah, or we had to go to traffic court and face a judge, well, fill in the blanks. Betcha dollars to donuts most of us would be gracious, giddy, kind and in all around Good behaviour! I say this by having watched 3 teenage girls maneuver their way at home with parents and then with their peers .....night and day difference.

But, as with lots of things, I know I can be 100% wrong, too! LOL I just won't admit it! hahaha

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Yep
    I totally agree with you, Chen! Pammy
  • Akiss4me

Tamoxifen...
    It is my layman's understanding (am not a doctor, nor pharmacist!) that Tamoxifen is quickly metabolized by the system, and that 20mg per day/24 hours is standard dosage. In other words, 20mg will take 24 hours to be absorbed by your system; then, it's gone. Which is also why it's very important to take it at the same time each day.

However, if a patient experiences/complains of intense side effects (and since everyone's metabolism varies) - the prescription can then become 10mg twice per day/one pill every 12 hours. Again, very important to take the pills at the same time each day. Same total dosage per day/24 hours.

I took Tamoxifen for 2 years - then, was switched to Arimidex (which I still take, 3+ years now and still counting...). Had the 20mg/one pill per day script.

Hope this helps, Pammy.

Kind regards, Susan

Yep
    You are absolutely correct on this, Susan! Pammy
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member

Tamoxifen...

Hope this helps, Pammy.

Kind regards, Susan

FYI
    Just a datapoint: I'm on 20 mg per day and I break them in half and take half in the morning and half at night. So that the hot flashes aren't as bad--it seems to be helping.

Maureen