MRI

j916
j916 Member Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is everyone given an mri after chemo for BC? My onc isn't ordering one...i asked.

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    No standard practice
    When Moopy completed her six rounds of TAC in mid-May, her oncologist here at home didn't order any tests. He told her "you are cancer-free," which was certainly nice to hear, and there was no doubt that he believed it. But still, it didn't cut the mustard with us.

It also didn't cut the mustard with her NCI oncologist in St. Louis. She ordered up a PET scan and her office even got it pre-approved (wow). Of course, she also wanted it to be done in St. Louis, so we took the road trip on up. It wasn't fun, there was some genuinely painful waiting, and the person who broke the news to us was surprised we hadn't heard it already. But the news was worth the trouble: NED is an official member of the Moopy/Aortus family, and we're keeping him around for good.

You might try pestering your onc, or even getting a second opinion. As Moopy would be the first to tell you, the squeaky wheel gets the greas.

Best,
    Joe
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    My oncologist did NOT order
    My oncologist did NOT order one although my surgeon did, but only after I passed the "magic 5 year" mark. She ordered the MRI so that she could release me as a patient,and I became part of the general population again!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    chenheart said:

My oncologist did NOT order
    My oncologist did NOT order one although my surgeon did, but only after I passed the "magic 5 year" mark. She ordered the MRI so that she could release me as a patient,and I became part of the general population again!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Once a year
    I was told I will have one once a year for the rest of my life now. It will be my Surgeon that will order it. Said I am patient for life now. Pammy
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    None for me
    Now, it has me wondering. I have not had an MRI since before my breast cancer surgery in April, '08.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    lynn1950 said:

None for me
    Now, it has me wondering. I have not had an MRI since before my breast cancer surgery in April, '08.

Opinions Differ on MRIs
    I asked my surgeon about breast MRIs at my last appt. He said there are too many false positives with MRIs, causing unnecessary anxiety and further testing. So I am getting mammograms, not MRIs on my remaining breast. At least under his care.

Not sure what my med. onc. in St. Louis will want. Last time I saw her, she said she will let me know at my next appt what tests I should have. She did ask when my mammo was scheduled, so I am thinking she is satisfied with the mammo for me and not MRI. We will see.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Moopy23 said:

Opinions Differ on MRIs
    I asked my surgeon about breast MRIs at my last appt. He said there are too many false positives with MRIs, causing unnecessary anxiety and further testing. So I am getting mammograms, not MRIs on my remaining breast. At least under his care.

Not sure what my med. onc. in St. Louis will want. Last time I saw her, she said she will let me know at my next appt what tests I should have. She did ask when my mammo was scheduled, so I am thinking she is satisfied with the mammo for me and not MRI. We will see.

Yep I get one
    My oncologist said I will get one once a year forever. I hate the dam* things, but, I feel better having one done.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    My doctor at the breast
    My doctor at the breast center where I had my mammograms(the same doc who caught my cancer)insisted on an MRI 3 months into my chemo and one annually in addition to a mammogram. My oncologist is in agreement.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    My doctor at the breast
    My doctor at the breast center where I had my mammograms(the same doc who caught my cancer)insisted on an MRI 3 months into my chemo and one annually in addition to a mammogram. My oncologist is in agreement.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Eil4186 said:

My doctor at the breast

My oncologist told me that
    My oncologist told me that he would like to see me get a mammo every 6 months for the first year and a MRI every year forever. I am not for sure about the mammo, but, that is a ways off yet. Afraid it will hurt :(

Sue :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Ritzy said:

My oncologist told me that
    My oncologist told me that he would like to see me get a mammo every 6 months for the first year and a MRI every year forever. I am not for sure about the mammo, but, that is a ways off yet. Afraid it will hurt :(

RITZY .. I love your Garfield .. he makes me laugh ..
    too funny! needed a good laugh tonight ..

Thanks!!!!!!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

RITZY .. I love your Garfield .. he makes me laugh ..
    too funny! needed a good laugh tonight ..

Thanks!!!!!!!

Good!
    LOL You are welcome Vicki! If I made you laugh with it, then my work is done! LOL

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Moopy23 said:

Opinions Differ on MRIs

Moopy... you are soooooo
    Moopy... you are soooooo right!!!! Thus the two additional biopsies that have delayed my treatment...
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Ritzy said:

Good!
    LOL You are welcome Vicki! If I made you laugh with it, then my work is done! LOL

I will get one once a year
    I will get one once a year along with my mammo.