chemo question

4slurpee
4slurpee Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all,

Quick question, I keep hearing people say they are getting six rounds of chemo. My onc. has stated I will have four, now don't get me wrong, I prefer not to have more, but is four normal?

Thanks!

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    It is different for each of us
    It seems that almost everyone's cancer is somehow different. You are lucky only to need 4. Your Onc. could answer and explain this to you.
    Hugs, Jackie
  • Sherry_Ranuio
    Sherry_Ranuio Member Posts: 28
    Chemo sessions
    I go in every Thur. for 3 weeks and then get the 4th Thur. off. This will continue for 5 or 6 months. Be thankful that you (hopefully)won't need any more than 4 treatment sessions! Will you be having surgery or radiation? That also makes a difference. I wish the best for you!

Take care and God Bless
    Sherry
  • missgogo
    missgogo Member Posts: 58
    TREATMENTS
    I had 4 treatment of AC and 12 weeks of Taxol. But i agree things might be different for other people.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    4slurpee
    Im only having four of AC myself. I think everyones treatments are different.

laura
  • Sherry_Ranuio
    Sherry_Ranuio Member Posts: 28
    lolad said:

4slurpee
    Im only having four of AC myself. I think everyones treatments are different.

laura

AC??
    What is AC? I have been on Avastin and Taxol.

Sherry
  • MCJ
    MCJ Member Posts: 59
    keep quiet maybe he/she lost
    keep quiet maybe he/she lost count

really though the more we learn the more we know there are variations in treatment. we went to two oncologists and had two treatment opinons, they did not vary too much though
    good luck
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    I have been scheduled for 4 to 6 cycles .. starting Tuesday
    I thought I would be having chemo 3 days consecutively .. surprise .. each Tuesday for 3 weeks, 1 week off. Repeat for 4 to 6 months.

I don't know what normal is .. however, I do not from conversations with others chemo can last longer than 6 months.

Keep positive.

VickiSam
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    VickiSam said:

I have been scheduled for 4 to 6 cycles .. starting Tuesday
    I thought I would be having chemo 3 days consecutively .. surprise .. each Tuesday for 3 weeks, 1 week off. Repeat for 4 to 6 months.

I don't know what normal is .. however, I do not from conversations with others chemo can last longer than 6 months.

Keep positive.

VickiSam

4 rounds of TC
    Hey, Slurpee -

Before my surgery, my oncologist estimated that he would recommend 6 rounds of TC (Taxotere/Cytoxan), based on what we knew going into surgery. It sounded to me like that was the "standard" for my type of case.

Post-surgery, when my lymph nodes came back negative, he took the number down to 4, specifically because I had no lymph node involvement.

So there was a "method to his madness" -- but I made him explain that to me, and also explain why he chose TC for me rather than another regimen. I definitely make my oncologist *work* for his money! :-) Make yours explain it to you, too.

Traci
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

AC??
    What is AC? I have been on Avastin and Taxol.

Sherry

AC
    Is Adrymiacin and Cytoxin probably not spelled right though. Havent lost count here.

laura
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

4 rounds of TC
    Hey, Slurpee -

Before my surgery, my oncologist estimated that he would recommend 6 rounds of TC (Taxotere/Cytoxan), based on what we knew going into surgery. It sounded to me like that was the "standard" for my type of case.

Post-surgery, when my lymph nodes came back negative, he took the number down to 4, specifically because I had no lymph node involvement.

So there was a "method to his madness" -- but I made him explain that to me, and also explain why he chose TC for me rather than another regimen. I definitely make my oncologist *work* for his money! :-) Make yours explain it to you, too.

Traci

Why did you have to have
    Why did you have to have chemo TracinLA if your nodes were clean? I didn't know you would have to if they were clear.

Sue :)
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Wishing you good luck
    Wishing you good luck Slurpee! Love your name!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Ritzy said:

Why did you have to have
    Why did you have to have chemo TracinLA if your nodes were clean? I didn't know you would have to if they were clear.

Chemo was optional
    Hi, Sue -

Because my lymph nodes were clean, chemo was optional for me. My oncologist ran a rough computer simulation based on my data, which estimated that chemo would lower my chances of recurrence by 3-4%.

My tumors are ER+ and I'm only 40, so I have a lot of estrogen-filled years ahead of me before menopause. For me, I knew in my gut that I had to do EVERYTHING I could to never have to deal with this again, even if that meant fighting my way through chemo for an additional 3-4%.

For me, the bottom line was, what if the cancer comes back 5, 10, 20 years from now? I couldn't live with myself then if I was looking back saying, what if I'd done chemo?

It's such a personal choice, but I always, always advise anyone to go with what your gut tells you is best for you.

Traci
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Ritzy said:

Why did you have to have

Yeah -
    My lymph nodes were clean and I had to have 6 rounds of chemo (taxotere/carboplaten) and then 36 rad sessions. Maybe because the Oncotype score was 34? I dunno!
    Pat
  • BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    susie09 said:

Wishing you good luck
    Wishing you good luck Slurpee! Love your name!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

TC X 4
    I am also on the 4 x TC chemo treatment. It is my understanding that the selection of the treatment plans consider many factors including size of tumor, grade, node status, Her2 status, age, type of tumor, oncotype score, etc. I'd ask your oncologist. I just had treatment #3 of TC yesterday and am looking forward to having #4 behind me! Good luck! Jane
  • Tyari
    Tyari Member Posts: 36
    Hello!
    I had cancer in some of my sentiel lymphnodes, but not any of the others. I have to ahve 4 treatments of Adria w/Cytoxan and 4 treatments of Taxol over the next 16 weeks. I had my first treatment today. Feeling kinda wonky lol. after that I have 5 weeks of Rads and 2 years of hormone therapy.

Before I had my mastectomy all my doctors were all pretty sure that I wouldn't have to get any at all, just maybe hormones. So it really seems to rely on that they find after pathology.

Good luck to you! If you have to get it at all I hope your only get 4!!!
    TY
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    TraciInLA said:

Chemo was optional
    Hi, Sue -

Because my lymph nodes were clean, chemo was optional for me. My oncologist ran a rough computer simulation based on my data, which estimated that chemo would lower my chances of recurrence by 3-4%.

My tumors are ER+ and I'm only 40, so I have a lot of estrogen-filled years ahead of me before menopause. For me, I knew in my gut that I had to do EVERYTHING I could to never have to deal with this again, even if that meant fighting my way through chemo for an additional 3-4%.

For me, the bottom line was, what if the cancer comes back 5, 10, 20 years from now? I couldn't live with myself then if I was looking back saying, what if I'd done chemo?

It's such a personal choice, but I always, always advise anyone to go with what your gut tells you is best for you.

Traci

Thanks Traci
    I just didn't understand why you would take chemo, but, you explained it to me. You are very smart! You are doing everything and then some!

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator