ostomy reversal on sept 22.

mommyof2kds
mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am so excited to get this reversal. I know there will be other issues to deal with after, but I am redy to have my ileostomy gone. We were going to wait to the end of chemo to do it, but we decided yesterday that now would be a good time. I have had the ostomy for 3 months and so that is 3 mths with no muscle use( I have no rectum, just enough so the intestine could be hooked up) so some incontnence expected for a while. My hospital has a bowel re-training program that I will be placed in to help with that. we will only take 1 mth of treatment and will start the chemo again 2 wks after the reversal. we have also decided to do the entire 12 cycles of chemo instead of the 8, even though reasearch is proving that 8 may be as effective as 12, we are not 100% sure of that , so we will do the whole 12 cycles. After 3 weeks of no muscle use, we are hoping that the re-training will be better than if we had to wait another 3 mths of no use. Hoping for the best... I did have a reaction to the oxy. yesterday and had to get benadryl and steroids. It was my 10th dose of the drug, guess that is a common time for rxn. so I guess it is a good time to take a break from it anyway.. Take care... Petrina

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Wishing you the best always...
    Mornin' Petrina

Wow, you've got the big day coming soon...I am praying that it all works out as you have planned. I'm sure you are excited, I can tell you are.

I bombed out on Oxy #8, so I can't be of any help there...you have finished 10 of 12 and I hope the last 2 go ok for you...I always wonder about the side effects becoming permanent with each dosage, but that's a 50/50 proposition. I'm sure you and your doctor will do what both of you think is best for you.

Always nice talking to you...hang in there, you've done great!

-Craig
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Sundanceh said:

Mornin' Petrina

Wow, you've got the big day coming soon...I am praying that it all works out as you have planned. I'm sure you are excited, I can tell you are.

I bombed out on Oxy #8, so I can't be of any help there...you have finished 10 of 12 and I hope the last 2 go ok for you...I always wonder about the side effects becoming permanent with each dosage, but that's a 50/50 proposition. I'm sure you and your doctor will do what both of you think is best for you.

-Craig

Cool!
    Good luck with that reversal mommy, I'm so scared to get it done, it isn't funny..I have a temporary colostomy that I think in October the 6 months is up, and am scared to death of going back. I been thinking of just keeping it.

I hope you never have any problems, I'm sure things will go great, I wish you all the best!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • mommyof2kds
    Sundanceh said:

Mornin' Petrina

-Craig

Hi Craig, I actually have
    Hi Craig, I actually have done 5 of 8 cycles, but have decided to do 12 cycles just for peace of mind I guess. So oct 5 will be my #6 of 12....I haven't had any neuropathy, guess I have been lucky, just the cold sensitivities which I can deal with, it usually resolves after 5 days, I think the mag and ca infusion works well for me..
    Hope you are doing well. Graet to hear from you. Petrina
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    The best thing my surgeon did was to have me wait to have my reversal after I finished chemo. My reversal was done 2 months after my last treatment. I had a chance to have some of the side effects subside. I only wish he would've prepared me before hand. I didn't have a clue. I hope that you're reversal is easier on you than mine was. I'm finally just now after 21 months not having much pain issues, having pretty good control, and can be active with the help of the meds. It has been a rough difficult time to get this far.
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Hooray!!
    I'm so happy for you, Petrina!!

Your hospital has a bowel retraining program?? That's just incredible! I wish mine did something like that!!

I'm sure you're going to have very minimal problems. I don't think your bowels have had much of a chance to get too lazy. It seems like the longer you wait for takedown, the harder it is to recover.

I will be praying for you to have a quick recovery! The surgery was a piece of cake compared to the resection. Do you know if you'll get a wound VAC?

Hugs!
    Krista
  • mommyof2kds

Hooray!!
    I'm so happy for you, Petrina!!

Your hospital has a bowel retraining program?? That's just incredible! I wish mine did something like that!!

I'm sure you're going to have very minimal problems. I don't think your bowels have had much of a chance to get too lazy. It seems like the longer you wait for takedown, the harder it is to recover.

I will be praying for you to have a quick recovery! The surgery was a piece of cake compared to the resection. Do you know if you'll get a wound VAC?

Hugs!
    Krista

HI Krista, I have no ida
    HI Krista, I have no ida about the wound vac. I meet with the surgeon the day before the surgery , so I will know more then. Yes, I am so lucky that they have a bowel-retraining program here, I am sure it will be beneficial. I will have a hypaque enema done the day before surgery to make sure there is no leaking anywhere and then the 22nd is the big day for me.. I am hoping for a quick recovery, but I guess i have to deal with whatever it may be.. Thanks for all the info.. Petrina