Could it be cancer?????

Hi all! For the last few years I have had severe bone and muscle pain and have worried what if it is some sort of cancer. Also, I have had so many female problems- heavy periods, sometimes months at a time of bleeding, pain, etc. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. That prompted me to make a few appointments just to rule out something as serious as cancer for myself. My PCP refuses to give me an order for a bone scan despite frequently complaining of bone pain. I am also on steroids for my asthma so I thought I should prob. have some sort of bone test anyway since I have been on this steroid-containing asthma med. for 13 years or so. I have been seeing my PCP, Cardiologist, Gyn, and GI doctor for different issues and tests.

In the last 6 months all of the following results have been found:
elevated serum AST level
*low vitamin D level
*thickened endometrial stripe
*Focal area of endometrial thickening
*Many small ovarian cysts
*One ovary has enlarged between the time of two ultrasounds (3 months apart)
*Numerous cervical cysts
*2 cm kidney lesion
*And just this week I have found a small lump in my vagina that has begun to bleed on and off

The female issues have been so terrible. If I did not want any more children, I would ask my Dr. to just do a hysterectomy. What I am really afraid of is that all these cysts and symptoms could be cancer. I just have this horrible feeling….I just wish they would do some test that would say for sure yes or no there is nothing to worry about. Every time they find something small wrong they say it is not big and I am young (29) so I should not worry. I have a 6 year old daughter who has epilepsy and autism and I just want to make sure I will be around a long time to take care of her.

I just wonder, is it possible to have cancer without any large tumor? Could my problems be gyn. cancer? Or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks for listening! ~Anna

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    Anna,
    It sounds like you

Anna,
    It sounds like you have been following up on a regular basis with any/all of your symptoms. It is possible to have cancer without large tumors and I think one of your docs would have followed up on any of your symptoms if they had an inkling that cancer was a possibility...they usually don't mess around if they suspect somethings amok. Take a deep breath and don't jump ahead of yourself. Go get checked out if you feel somethings out of place. We know our own bodies better than anyone else. Good luck!
  • tlva
    tlva Member Posts: 56
    Find another gynecologist
    I would RUN to another doctor. You should ask for a colposcopy with scope, where they use vinegar on the cervix to look for any abnormalities and then they biopsy to confirm. Or a D&C where the lining of the uterus is also looked at with a scope and tissue is removed from the uterus for pathology.
    I was 46 and had an unusual pap that my doctor would not rest on till we had an answer. I could not have biopsy because cervix would not dialate, ultrasound showed some endometrial thickening, and D&C showed only polyps that don't normally become cancer. Two days later, my doctor was calling to tell me it was endometrial cancer. It was microscopic, so nothing big was showing on scopes or ultrasound. Age has nothing to do with any cancer, but some doctors are so afraid the insurance company won't pay them they won't go any further. My cancer was almost 5 years ago and I'm fine. This February, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a bilateral mastectomy and radiation. Both of my cancers were diagnosed at the earliset stages and my prognosis is excellent in both cases. All of my doctors are professors at the local medical school and I received my treatment in a university hospital setting. Maybe you should try that route if you have a medical school in the university near you?
    Please go back and jump on that doctors head until you get some answers. I'll be praying for you!
  • Anna711
    Anna711 Member Posts: 6
    tlva said:

Find another gynecologist
    I would RUN to another doctor. You should ask for a colposcopy with scope, where they use vinegar on the cervix to look for any abnormalities and then they biopsy to confirm. Or a D&C where the lining of the uterus is also looked at with a scope and tissue is removed from the uterus for pathology.
    I was 46 and had an unusual pap that my doctor would not rest on till we had an answer. I could not have biopsy because cervix would not dialate, ultrasound showed some endometrial thickening, and D&C showed only polyps that don't normally become cancer. Two days later, my doctor was calling to tell me it was endometrial cancer. It was microscopic, so nothing big was showing on scopes or ultrasound. Age has nothing to do with any cancer, but some doctors are so afraid the insurance company won't pay them they won't go any further. My cancer was almost 5 years ago and I'm fine. This February, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a bilateral mastectomy and radiation. Both of my cancers were diagnosed at the earliset stages and my prognosis is excellent in both cases. All of my doctors are professors at the local medical school and I received my treatment in a university hospital setting. Maybe you should try that route if you have a medical school in the university near you?
    Please go back and jump on that doctors head until you get some answers. I'll be praying for you!

tlva- thank you
    Thank you for your response...as I have said before of course I want to be healthy and I would love if there was some quick fix to my pain and bleeding issues....but I just feel like something is wrong....I cannot put that scared feeling to rest. When my Dr. says don't worry I am relieved and think I am being paranoid but then I still keep having this feeling that they are missing something. I am 29 but some days I feel 92 with the overwhelming fatigue, nausea and pain. I just know something is not right and it could be some type of systemic disease or disorder- given that I have other health problems/symptoms but I guess what I am hoping for is that they will take some sort of sample so they can say certainly it is not cancer....you know...get my worst fear ruled out.

Thank you again! I will let you know what my gyn. says today.

~Anna