I feel liberated ... I cut my own hair last night

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Appointments, procedures, xrays, ct & bone scans .. along with medicine from my pharmacy. I am overwhelmed.

My chemo starts next week. Onc along with sisters in pink stated hair starts to fall out 10 to 14 days after first chemo treatment. I took inventory of my scarves and hats (14 total) - this does not include the 5 hats and 4 scarves in transist via UPS - further down the road .. I will donate all items to ACS.

What to do ?? .. antsy .. Color coordinated hats with scarves .. hummm .... matched outfits to outerwear.. hummm ... what to do ?? I know -- I'll cut my own hair, it will be like playing dress up when I was a young girl .. make up, new hair .. new outlook on bc life. Pulled my hair into ponytail and start chopping away. It didn't take long before I was having the time of my LIFE... snip .. snip .. snip went my scissors .. It felt GREAT, my hair cut didn't look too bad, maybe I missed my calling as a stylist? It's only HAIR, and hair grows. Well it's been 12 hours, and I am so very PROUD of myself. My hair lost is on my own terms, not chemo. I cut off about 10 inches. I feel liberated, and strong. Yes, it was my decision (as chemo treatment, surgeries etc are out of our control).

Next stop .. the buzz ..he he he ..

short and sassy ... VickiSam

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Vicki
    Great to see your positive attitude in your words! And yes,great to hear that you took control of your hair soon to fall out with you cutting it already.I hope that that positive attitude will stay with you,though please know that it is absolutely normal to have the down times as well.
    I am just really glad to hear that you are facing the beast and ready to fight!!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow!
    Way to go~~~ You are Woman, hear you roar! LOL We have no control of our hair loss, and being that you TOOK control is awesome! Know, for the record, that short hair is still going to come out when you start chemo, but the shock factor shouldn't be so great! Oftentimes the chemo reaction makes our scalp ache. It is like the feeling you get when you leave a rubber-band in a pony tail for too long. The instant remedy for that is to :-( shave your head!
    Do you also know that ANYWHERE you have hair, you won't???? I never put that 2 and 2 together, and I was freaked out! So, TMI is better than not enough!

So, way to go Short and Sassy VickiSam! You totally, totally rock!!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

PS...I am sure you know, but you can donate that 10 inches of hair to Locks Of Love!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Yeah.....
    You did better than "wash that gray right out of your hair"!! You should be very proud for taking control. I would have had a tough time and admire all you women who grab the bull by the horns!! Pammy
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    short and sassy is IN
    I did the same, ponytail and scissors, I didn't do that great of a job so I had hubby even it out for me. But yes, it felt like you had some control over what was happening. Glad you were feeling good about it, now go out and go bald!!
    Cat
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hey VickiSam
    YOu are just one gutsy chick...I couldnt have done that...I cried thru it.

HOpe you continue to stay so positive. Your attitude is great but if you ever have a down day or need to vent you know where to go woman!!!

Have a nice day

Hugs
    LInda t
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    mlmjt1 said:

Hey VickiSam
    YOu are just one gutsy chick...I couldnt have done that...I cried thru it.

HOpe you continue to stay so positive. Your attitude is great but if you ever have a down day or need to vent you know where to go woman!!!

Have a nice day

Hugs
    LInda t

Way to take charge!!
    More power to you VS!! You are brave!
  • butterfly343
    butterfly343 Member Posts: 39
    Hi VikiSam,
    I did the same

Hi VikiSam,
    I did the same thing. The day before my first chemo, i had a big bbq and had my family and friends shave my head. It was so empowering to do it myseld instead of loosing it to the toxic drugs. I am so glad you found the power in taking control of this mess. I just had my second chemo and have noticed that the hair on my legs and underarms has stopped growing, and the hair on my head is starting to fall out. It has been 15 days since my first chemo( i'm on dose dense cycle, every 2 weeks).
    Keep that feeling of being liberated, strong and in control!
    Julie
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hi VikiSam,
    I did the same

Hi VikiSam,
    I did the same thing. The day before my first chemo, i had a big bbq and had my family and friends shave my head. It was so empowering to do it myseld instead of loosing it to the toxic drugs. I am so glad you found the power in taking control of this mess. I just had my second chemo and have noticed that the hair on my legs and underarms has stopped growing, and the hair on my head is starting to fall out. It has been 15 days since my first chemo( i'm on dose dense cycle, every 2 weeks).
    Keep that feeling of being liberated, strong and in control!
    Julie

WTG Vicki! That was so
    WTG Vicki! That was so brave of you, it really was!

HUGS
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

WTG Vicki! That was so
    WTG Vicki! That was so brave of you, it really was!

HUGS

Vicki
    I had to laugh at your post about all the hats and scarfs. You go girl!!! I cut my long hair up to my chin before it started to fall out from chemo, then it started about 10 days or so coming out in chunks. Couldnt wash it, brush it, it was coming out everywhere. So, my kids and i shaved the rest off and it felt like a huge wave of relief and my kids think i look cool. Keep up that positive attitude. And thats an awesome idea about donating to ACS when you are done with the hats. You are right, its just hair, it will grow back. And we will survive!!!!

laura
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Proud of you :)
    Vicki, you are so positive and I love reading what you write. Good luck to you! You are very brave as the others said!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Way to take charge!!
    More power to you VS!! You are brave!

Vicki, you took the bull by
    Vicki, you took the bull by the horns and took charge! Proud of you!

Leeza