my doc did say 75% chance of it coming back

xskeetshooter
xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
thats after doing chemo and radation. 75% of returning .then put me on a blocker for 5-10 years and it drops it to 30% of coming back,,havnt started yet.had to get 2 teeth pulled, because of infection.should be friday.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Sounds like you need to hit this HARD!!!!
    Is your cancer Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC)? If so, well, that would explain the reoccurance stats. BUT, regardless, remember, these estimates are based on figures from up to 5 years ago...heavens, treatment protocol for breast cancer has changed at least twice since then!

It's always a personal choice about treating or not. I wanted to do everything possible to lengthen my life, so I went thru the chemo/rads, even though I had just finished chemo, rads, and surgery for stage III rectal cancer 6 months earlier. I don't know what I'll do if either of my cancers (the breast was stage II) return...in true 'Scarlett O'hara' fashion, "I'll think about that tomorrow". You could be one of the lucky ones that breeze thru treatment...they DO exist, and in significant numbers....

The 'blocker' you mentioned is fairly standard as well. I take Tamoxifen daily, and don't have any major side effects. An occasional hot flash, maybe.

Welcome to the board, and please keep us posted.

Hugs, Kathi
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Stay Positive!
    Skeet I know it is difficult but try to stay positive, even if it should come back you will fight it again and you will rise above this nasty cancer. Remember that every year we survive is one year closer to them finding the cure. They are numbers and someone has to beat the odds so why not you!!! I have done it three times and I live a very happy and full life despite cancer, you will too!!!

Hugs,

RE
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi xskeetshooter
    I hope everything is healing ok from having your teeth pulled. Hang in there and do what they tell you. I just met a women that was given your stats and she is a 4 year survivor so far. I like to believe that we are a new generation that will change the stats!! Keep us posted. Pammy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    These are just estimates
    These are just estimates based on figures that are dated. Nowadays there are many, many people that beat the odds they're given. You'll be one of them and especially with the support and positive attitude on your part.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    xskeet
    the ladies on here are right-those are only statistics and don't let them get you down! You and your medical team are going to be doing everything you and they can to get yourself better and fight it,just concentrate on that!
    And we'll be here for you every step of the way!
    By the way,the little girl is so cute-is she your daughter?
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member

xskeet
    the ladies on here are right-those are only statistics and don't let them get you down! You and your medical team are going to be doing everything you and they can to get yourself better and fight it,just concentrate on that!
    And we'll be here for you every step of the way!
    By the way,the little girl is so cute-is she your daughter?

I agree with the others.
    I agree with the others. They are only stats. If you do your treatment and have a positive attitude, you can lead a full, long life.

♥Noel
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Noel said:

I agree with the others.
    I agree with the others. They are only stats. If you do your treatment and have a positive attitude, you can lead a full, long life.

♥Noel

Just want to let you know
    Just want to let you know xskeet that you are in my prayers!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • butterfly343
    butterfly343 Member Posts: 39
    I hope you can take to heart
    I hope you can take to heart power of positive thinking. Those are just that, statistics, not a guarented(sp?) result. keep thinking postitive and take all treatments availabe.
    Julie
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

I hope you can take to heart
    I hope you can take to heart power of positive thinking. Those are just that, statistics, not a guarented(sp?) result. keep thinking postitive and take all treatments availabe.
    Julie

Be sure and update us. We
    Be sure and update us. We are all praying for you and prayer does work skeet!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    I am a six year survivor...
    After surgery/chemotherapy/radiation and now medication, my risk of recurrence rate stands at 20% - not too far off from what yours could be. That 20% risk level will not begin to diminish for me until my 10 year anniversary of diagnosis.

Please don't allow the "numbers" to frighten you away from treatment. The other way to look at it is that you'll have a 70% chance of NO recurrence.

Best wishes to you.