After a week away!

Tyari
Tyari Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm Back! I got my port in last tuesday and had my chemo teaching that friday. and everyone under the sun at my house! lol I love my family but sheesh!

I start my chemo thursday eek! I guess the sooner I start the sooner it's over! And something really neat, when I was leaving my teaching on friday, the nurse handed me a post it note with the URL to these boards on it. She said I could find help, support and friends here. I just smiled and said I know.

Thank you ladies! Your support means so much to so many.

Have a Happy Day!!
Ty

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    That was really thoughtful
    That was really thoughtful of the nurse. I didn't find this site until way after treatment. Good luck with starting chemo.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    We'll both be doing chemo on
    We'll both be doing chemo on Thursday. It's my 2nd treatment but it's great to have someone to do it with. Good luck and we'll conpare notes afterward.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Hi Ty
    Sounds like things are moving forward for you...I have 3 more treatments to go then on to herceptin for 52 weeks every 3 wks.

YOu will really like the port..it makes things so much easier. ASk your doctor for some emla cream to put on the port so when they access it it wont bother you. You apply a big gob of the cream over the port about 1 hour before you go in. Cover it with a bandaid so it doesnt get all over the place and it should be really easy for you when they do labs or chemo.

Hang in there

Hugs
    Linda T
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Very thoughtful of your RN~
    Very thoughtful of your RN~ and she is right, too! :-)

I am 7 years post treatment, but I am convinced I was left totally in the dark~ what, if I may ask, was the"chemo teaching" you referred to? I am sure I didn't have any~ I was told what day/time/place my chemo would begin, I showed up, and yup...I had chemo! Didn't know what to expect or how long it would take, what the rooms would look like~ nada!

I hope never to have to experience chemo again, of course, but I sure wouldn't mind suggesting that the cancer center I went to start a chemo teaching class for those who will soon be getting treatment.

You sound quite ready to move forward and get this part both started and finished! Let us know how we can help you! We are holding your hand every step of the way, you know!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Tyari
    chenheart said:

Very thoughtful of your RN~
    Very thoughtful of your RN~ and she is right, too! :-)

I am 7 years post treatment, but I am convinced I was left totally in the dark~ what, if I may ask, was the"chemo teaching" you referred to? I am sure I didn't have any~ I was told what day/time/place my chemo would begin, I showed up, and yup...I had chemo! Didn't know what to expect or how long it would take, what the rooms would look like~ nada!

I hope never to have to experience chemo again, of course, but I sure wouldn't mind suggesting that the cancer center I went to start a chemo teaching class for those who will soon be getting treatment.

You sound quite ready to move forward and get this part both started and finished! Let us know how we can help you! We are holding your hand every step of the way, you know!

Hugs,
    Claudia

The Teaching I got was just
    The Teaching I got was just that! I went to a room with the Nurse and my hubby. She had a ton of information about all the meds I get. What I need to do before I get there, what drugs they give first, then the 2 drugs I get in the drip. and the meds I take for the next 2 days.

She then went over my next phase of treatments, and what drug(s) I would be getting then. She went over my Nulasta shots and eveything, side effects of all the meds. Then she took us on a tour, where to put paperwork the waiting room and the treatment room.

I'm going to be in very good hands there. I'm still scared witless, but the teaching is making it a lot eaiser. Every place that treats chemo patients should have this kind of teaching.

The Nurse I had was wonderful, when I broke down and cried she held one hand and my hubby the other and we all cried together! lol
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Tyari said:

The Teaching I got was just that! I went to a room with the Nurse and my hubby. She had a ton of information about all the meds I get. What I need to do before I get there, what drugs they give first, then the 2 drugs I get in the drip. and the meds I take for the next 2 days.

She then went over my next phase of treatments, and what drug(s) I would be getting then. She went over my Nulasta shots and eveything, side effects of all the meds. Then she took us on a tour, where to put paperwork the waiting room and the treatment room.

I'm going to be in very good hands there. I'm still scared witless, but the teaching is making it a lot eaiser. Every place that treats chemo patients should have this kind of teaching.

The Nurse I had was wonderful, when I broke down and cried she held one hand and my hubby the other and we all cried together! lol

I am 4 treatment in. Your so
    I am 4 treatment in. Your so right the sooner you start the sooner its over.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Tyari said:

So jealous!
    I'm so jealous of you, Tyari, but very happy that you have a chemo center that has that kind of support for you.

My oncology nurse pretty much went over all that with me, too -- AFTER she had hooked me up to the first iv on Chemo Day 1 and I was already drippin' away! Apparently medical professionals can't get Claudia and me out of there fast enough! :-)

I'm also so glad to hear that there's a medical professional out there recommending this board -- my oncologist is SO suspicious of the fact that I'm on a message board. Anytime I say, "A woman on the board mentioned...," he rolls his eyes -- I think he's had his share of patients who get major misinformation on the internet, and/or wander onto other boards that are very different from this one. Poor guy is scarred....:-)

Traci
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    TraciInLA said:

So jealous!
    I'm so jealous of you, Tyari, but very happy that you have a chemo center that has that kind of support for you.

My oncology nurse pretty much went over all that with me, too -- AFTER she had hooked me up to the first iv on Chemo Day 1 and I was already drippin' away! Apparently medical professionals can't get Claudia and me out of there fast enough! :-)

I'm also so glad to hear that there's a medical professional out there recommending this board -- my oncologist is SO suspicious of the fact that I'm on a message board. Anytime I say, "A woman on the board mentioned...," he rolls his eyes -- I think he's had his share of patients who get major misinformation on the internet, and/or wander onto other boards that are very different from this one. Poor guy is scarred....:-)

Traci

I'm with Claudia and Traci -- what is a chemo class?
    My chemo starts on Tuesday, 9/8, and I have not been offered a chemo class. In fact, I have more questions for my onc regarding my treatment. I have left 2 messages today.

I neglected to mention that besides myself, my sister and girlfriend were with me at my onc appointment .. 2 hours of Dr. M making graphs and charts .. all related to clinical trials. The 3 of us walked out confused. We compared notes, and nothing matched. We all did hear the same 1 phase .. Herceptin Herceptin Herceptin is all I heard. Dr. M went as far as to mention that MOST women on THC do NOT have many side affects. I was FLOORED ...my mouth dropped open, as I am on acs board daily. When I mentioned our bc website, Dr. M asked me not relay on our website for information.

Angry and confused .. VickiSam
  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    VickiSam said:

My chemo starts on Tuesday, 9/8, and I have not been offered a chemo class. In fact, I have more questions for my onc regarding my treatment. I have left 2 messages today.

I neglected to mention that besides myself, my sister and girlfriend were with me at my onc appointment .. 2 hours of Dr. M making graphs and charts .. all related to clinical trials. The 3 of us walked out confused. We compared notes, and nothing matched. We all did hear the same 1 phase .. Herceptin Herceptin Herceptin is all I heard. Dr. M went as far as to mention that MOST women on THC do NOT have many side affects. I was FLOORED ...my mouth dropped open, as I am on acs board daily. When I mentioned our bc website, Dr. M asked me not relay on our website for information.

I had a chemo class if that
    I had a chemo class if that is what you call it. She went over my drugs and side effects and showed me where they do the treatments. I am having my 4th treatment (last of a/c) on Thursday too. Then I will have four left of taxol. Good Luck!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    VickiSam said:

My opinion
    How rude of your Doctor, Vicki. Sometimes I think Doctors try to minimize the side effects not to scare us off and then address them as they happen. This is bad pratice but something they apparently feel works. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    I have been fortunate. All my Doctors (over half have become personal friends) are very up front with us. I laugh sometimes because I always tell my hubby they are afraid of him because he carries a gun!! But I have heard others say their Doctors didn't explain anything or blew off their concerns. This is sad. I was told by my Doctors to use this website and two others only (they suggested it!).
    I tell anyone that makes a negative comment about me being on this board....I can get information from ANYWHERE, I come here for the comadre, wisdom and experience. I come here because this is where my friends are with the best suggestions. I come here because no one can possibly understand except those that have been there. I come here because I believe I can help make a difference to SOMEBODY with my stories. I come here because I WANT to (then I usually stick out my tongue at this point because I have become quite defensive and need to break the tension with a chuckle!)
    Then my husband usually chimes in and tells them "what ever she needs to do to get through this I will back her 100% and that board has been a lifesaver for both of us!" (I couldn't talk him into a mansion, a boat, a lamborgini, or island vacation home. He wasn't buying it that I needed those things to get through this! Guess I'll have to keep cleaning our 1920's home, floating the soap in the bathtube, driving the chevy, and staying at a hotel for vacation!).
    Pammy
    PS) Ty.....glad they helped to ease your anxiety with a class. Hope more places realize how helpful this is and adopt the same procedure.
  • Tyari
    Akiss4me said:

My opinion
    How rude of your Doctor, Vicki. Sometimes I think Doctors try to minimize the side effects not to scare us off and then address them as they happen. This is bad pratice but something they apparently feel works. Unfortunately it doesn't.
    I have been fortunate. All my Doctors (over half have become personal friends) are very up front with us. I laugh sometimes because I always tell my hubby they are afraid of him because he carries a gun!! But I have heard others say their Doctors didn't explain anything or blew off their concerns. This is sad. I was told by my Doctors to use this website and two others only (they suggested it!).
    I tell anyone that makes a negative comment about me being on this board....I can get information from ANYWHERE, I come here for the comadre, wisdom and experience. I come here because this is where my friends are with the best suggestions. I come here because no one can possibly understand except those that have been there. I come here because I believe I can help make a difference to SOMEBODY with my stories. I come here because I WANT to (then I usually stick out my tongue at this point because I have become quite defensive and need to break the tension with a chuckle!)
    Then my husband usually chimes in and tells them "what ever she needs to do to get through this I will back her 100% and that board has been a lifesaver for both of us!" (I couldn't talk him into a mansion, a boat, a lamborgini, or island vacation home. He wasn't buying it that I needed those things to get through this! Guess I'll have to keep cleaning our 1920's home, floating the soap in the bathtube, driving the chevy, and staying at a hotel for vacation!).
    Pammy
    PS) Ty.....glad they helped to ease your anxiety with a class. Hope more places realize how helpful this is and adopt the same procedure.

I'm happy that my Nurse took
    I'm happy that my Nurse took the time too talk all this over with me. I would love to see all centers do this. It did help.

I also think the some Med profs neeed to realise that we come to these boards to chat and laugh and share with people that understand what we are going through. Not to get a "second opinion" lol but that just MHO

Had my first treatment this morning, have a headache, and feel kinda icky. lol And my port was very tender only being in for little over a week. But all in all the teaching help me know what to expect and the nuse told and showed me everything before she even started it.

And if anyone can talk their hubbys in to an island vac home, let me know how you did it k? So I can work on mine lol

Thank you all, for all the support!

TY
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    VickiSam said:

Drs!!!!
    Yeah Vicki Sam~ don't even THINK about coming to these boards and asking anything about treatment/side effects/emotional and physical aspects of cancer/sex/exhaustion/hair loss/food/friends/...what in the world would any of us know about that??? Don't disobey your Dr...just try and understand what charts and journals he is referring to, and by Jove, soon you can see yourself as a statistic of something or other in one of those charts! Whooo-hooooo!!! Give me a break~ those Drs should come in here and read for a day! They might learn something valuable.

I do appreciate the knowledge and time these Drs have spent in medical school, and I also trust that my Dr wants me to live a long, healthy, cancer free life. But my Dr isn't a cancer patient! And he is not a Sister in Pink. And most certainly, not one of my Kindred Spirits! But you are! So, I invite you to rely on us and our expertise and compassion as often ans you want or need to! LOL

You will come through all of this just fine, but it sure can be a frustration, can't it?

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Akiss4me said:

My opinion
    Pammy

I have to agre with Pammy,
    When I had my first appt with my onco, she was very informative and answered my questions etc. But I also felt as if she minimized the side effects a bit. Especially for the tamoxifen and at the time possible chemo. I was kind of overwhelmed, like everyone is so I accepted her answers and figured when I got to that bridge I would cross it. What I did find was that when I mentioned possible depression she was more than willing to prescibe me something, so I got the feeling that if I needed something she would be there for me.

I found the same attitude from the rad's doctor, she made it sound like rad's are no big deal and working would not be a challenge. But of course I know better, even tough I do plan to work, I'm also planning on taking some time off, at the end or right before the end. And I told her that, she also seemed very understanding as well.

The one thing that both of them had in common though was when I mentioned the ACS/and this board, they both said "No wonder you are so informed" that is was a very good place to find support. This that said I new I had the right doctors. I think most doctors hope that each patient they see will be one of the ones who have lighter side effects, so the wait until the patient shows or complains. We all way need to be our own advocate, and if your doctor truely is minimizing what your going through either emotionally or physically, then I think it's time to get another doctor. So far I feel really lucky.

Good luck to everyone going the chemo and rad's right now

Aurora