Question about Eye

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My eye's are so red and itch and burn. I just finished 4 treatments of AC and I will now start Taxol. I have not started the Taxol yet. My eye's hurt in the sunlight and just bother me a lot. Has anyone had this happen. It's driving me crazy. I do see my Onc this week but I was just wondering what you all have to say. I have never had this before.

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    eye symptoms
    The eyes are easily affected by chemo. I used to wear contacts, but decided to not have anything foreign in my eyes during chemo. You would think your onc would tell you that one. But I did notice after chemo, my vision changed drastically and my eyes are now dry and the opthamologist recommended fish oil and a couple other things to keep the tears flowing. So it is probably the chemo, but better to be safe and talk to the onc about it.
    Cat
  • Derbygirl
    Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
    I have the red eyes problem,
    I have the red eyes problem, but they don't itch and burn. I had chemo and radiation that ended on 12/24/08. Oncologist referred me to ophthalmology to make sure nothing was wrong. Turns out it was dry eyes for which Thera Tears (over the counter) was prescribed. Seems to be working. I have dry mouth and dry skin also. Oncologist said chemo took the moisture out of my body and he felt it would get better with time. I always talk to my Onco. about new problems and I encourage you to do the same. Good luck!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Eye Symptoms
    Kathy, my eyes would redden and burn due to dehydration. Whenever I had those eye symptoms, I guzzled more water.

In addition, I experienced blurred vision after my first chemo. Thought it was chemo, but turned out to be low potassium. An emergency visit to the clinic for a 3-hour potassium infusion solved that problem, and I have been taking potassium tablets ever since. However, I have been having blurred vision again lately and am nervous about that. My potassium levels are being checked weekly, and I will see my onc. Friday.

Hope drinking more water will help with your eye symptoms. If you weren't having chemo, I'd say it was allergies. The ragwood is just horrible here this summer.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    I had the same thing
    I also did 4 treatments of AC and now Taxol (I've had 2/4 treatments of that) and my eyes were super dry with the AC. I also found sunlight hard to take. Sometimes I would wake up and feel like my eyes were glued shut and had sand in them. AC made my skin and my nose and my eyes all really dry all the time. I used artificial tears several times a day to help keep my eyes from hurting so much. I will say that since starting on Taxol this has eased up quite a bit. I still get a bit of dry eye but nothing like it was. Hopefully getting through the AC (congratulations, by the way - that's a big accomplishment!) will help give you some relief.
  • missgogo
    missgogo Member Posts: 58
    EYES
    THE SUNLIGHT BOTHER ME WHEN I WENT THROUGHT MY CHEMO TREATMENTS ALSO. THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A SIDEFFECT OF THE AC TREATMENTS AND TO STAY OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT AND WERE SUNGLASS. BUT THEY WILL GET BETTER.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    missgogo said:

EYES
    THE SUNLIGHT BOTHER ME WHEN I WENT THROUGHT MY CHEMO TREATMENTS ALSO. THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WAS A SIDEFFECT OF THE AC TREATMENTS AND TO STAY OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT AND WERE SUNGLASS. BUT THEY WILL GET BETTER.

thank you
    Thanks to all. I saw onc today and she said the same thing. Just a new problem I had not heard of. Again thanks