New taxol/herceptin question

mlmjt1
mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I definitely am feeling the aches and pains from the taxol, I am assuming it is not from the herceptin and am wondering what everyone else did for the achiness? I am up to 800mg ibuprofen which I just took tonight before bed with food of course and will try that tomorrow. Did anyone else try anything else??

Thanks for the tips
Hugs
Linda T

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Linda
    Linda,
    If I had pains I didn't notice because I took a Claritin everyday which my oncologist recommended. I know that if a ran out or forgot to take it I had pains the next day so I guess I did have pain once in awhile.

I still take Claritin everyday--I don't want to take any chances of pain again. It also helps my sinuses so I get two helps from it.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • butterfly343
    butterfly343 Member Posts: 39
    Hi Linda,
    I also was up to

Hi Linda,
    I also was up to the limit on the ibuprofen and it did not help. I asked my onc nurse what else to do and she suggested the claritin day of chemo, and two days after the neulasta shot. Unfortuntly it did not help me at all. I go today for my second round of Taxol and will speak to my onc to see what else he can recomend for the pain. I'll post later tonight and let you know. Hopefully something will help. Nothing I did could touch the bone deep pain, although, very warm bubblebaths did sooth my aches.
    Julie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    You could try this....
    Linda, it looks like Julie gave you my suggestion....warm relaxing baths. Moist heat always helps me with aches & pains. Another thing that really helps me is massage. If I get a professional massage, it will make me feel good for the whole week. And then there is nothing like a "hot tottie" (whiskey and tea). This is good for relaxing right before bed especially. Hope you find a solution that works for you. Pammy
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Pain management
    Linda,
    My chemo was Taxotere (family of Taxol) and Cytoxan.....I had bone pain and muscle pain from that, big time and that was really compounded by the Neulasta injection the next day.... The first injection of Nuelasta almost did me in 5 days later....My oncologist didn't mess around with Advil, etc. He gave me an Rx for Vicodin........that worked! He said there is absolutely no sense in having pain, and I agree! That also helps with sleeping, which I had a great problem with and still am..I had my last, thankfully, chemo two weeks ago and am still experienceing big time fatigue.......will start radiation sometime in September.....
    I hope you feel better.........
    Nancy
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Hi Linda
    My onc made sure if otc pain meds did not work, she gave me a prescription for Vicodin. I took it when needed (in fact I still had it for my most recent surgery, the date I filled it was 9/07). It helps, but we all try not to rely on it. Hope things get better for you.
    Cat
  • butterfly343
    butterfly343 Member Posts: 39
    Hi Linda,
    Sorry my post is

Hi Linda,
    Sorry my post is this am and not last night, but my chemo yesterday wiped me out. I talked to my onc about the bone pain and he gave me a rx for Tramadol. It's pretty mild, but really works on the deep bone pain. Hope this helps,
    Julie
  • Terrina
    Terrina Member Posts: 6
    Toxal pain
    Those of you who could get through Taxol with little or no pain meds are my heroes. I was on Dilaudid pills and Fentanyl patches from my second Taxol on. If you go on pain meds remember the laxatives. I spent time on the "Ward" because my Onc. forgot to tell me to take the little buggers! Take care of yourself and hydrate.