I had my fourth round of chemo today, 4 half way! of arythmycin, I believe, and four to

Alison Webb
Alison Webb Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I am doing 8 rounds of chemo in 4 months. 4 of Adriamycin and of Clcophosphamide and 4 of Taxol. Anyway Ladies,I am a mess. I am in full on menopause, I am bald, boob-less, and I see absolutely nothing attractive about myself physically, at this time. I just start crying for no apparent reason and that make my sweet husband feel sad. WOW I am left flabbergasted!!!! God Bless you..

Comments

• mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Oh Alison
    Isnt this fun??? I just finished 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan and just started taxol/herceptin on friday. I am bald and boobless too...My right breast looks like it went thru a lawn mower. On the positive end, the a/c is done. I have less stomach side effects but the taxol is really making me ache. I just took 800mg of ibuprofen so I could sleep. I feel like I just ran 18 miles!!! I ache all over.

WEll if its anything like a/c I should be feeling better by the end of the week I hope.

Take care

Linda T
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    It will get better
    I know that is what EVERYBODY says. Alison, it really is true. Undergoing chemo is one of the toughest things you'll ever have to do and you are just barely healed from surgery. I think the key is taking it a day at a time. And just think, you are 1/2 way through chemo.

Concentrate on you and take good care of yourself. Crying is good; not crying is the pits. Get all the support you can - from your cancer center, from friends, from neighbors, from relatives, from your place of worship...etc. Does your cancer center have a social worker? Social workers can provide great emotional support.

I think Pammy knows of a book for husbands. Maybe she can chime in with the title.

There are many of us here who have walked in your shoes. We are here to pray for you and support you. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    lynn1950 said:

It will get better
    I know that is what EVERYBODY says. Alison, it really is true. Undergoing chemo is one of the toughest things you'll ever have to do and you are just barely healed from surgery. I think the key is taking it a day at a time. And just think, you are 1/2 way through chemo.

Concentrate on you and take good care of yourself. Crying is good; not crying is the pits. Get all the support you can - from your cancer center, from friends, from neighbors, from relatives, from your place of worship...etc. Does your cancer center have a social worker? Social workers can provide great emotional support.

I think Pammy knows of a book for husbands. Maybe she can chime in with the title.

There are many of us here who have walked in your shoes. We are here to pray for you and support you. xoxoxoxo Lynn

So sorry Allison. But, you
    So sorry Allison. But, you are halfway thru! That is a huge accomplishment!

A great book for husbands is Breast Cancer Husband by Marc Silver. Everyone husband should read it.

Feel better!

Leeza
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Awwww.....Alison
    I'll start with my famous words....cancer sucks! I think alot of what you are going though with feeling down about everything is partly from the menopause. I have been struggling with having to go through this part because I want to be able to handle the side effects of menopause gracefully and I just don't think that is possible. I will be put into menopause next week and know I am not ready for it! So I have warned everyone that I will just be a mess for awhile and they will have to understand (I think they have bags packed and ready to bolt if I should turn into the wicked witch of the west!).
    There is a book that will help your husband tremendously to understand what you are going through. It is called "The Breast Cancer Husband" and will help to put his mind at ease. Men like to "fix" things and this is just one thing he can not fix. But there are ways he can make things better. My hubby just sent me a HUGE GORGEOUS bouquet today, because I was having a crying episode in the middle of the night (came downstairs so he wouldn't hear but guess it didn't work). He didn't call and order them. He walked into the shop and said I want a bouquet special just for my wife! I want to make her feel better....and it worked!! He would not have known to do this before reading the book. He recommends it to all husbands of BC women!
    I hope you get past the saddness you are going through right now and your spirits are lifted soon. Remember, being attractive is not just something you see on the outside....it is mostly the beauty that comes from within that true people will see shining through! I will keep you in my prayers.
    Pammy
  • Alison Webb
    Alison Webb Member Posts: 13
    mlmjt1 said:

Oh Alison
    Isnt this fun??? I just finished 4 rounds of adriamycin/cytoxan and just started taxol/herceptin on friday. I am bald and boobless too...My right breast looks like it went thru a lawn mower. On the positive end, the a/c is done. I have less stomach side effects but the taxol is really making me ache. I just took 800mg of ibuprofen so I could sleep. I feel like I just ran 18 miles!!! I ache all over.

WEll if its anything like a/c I should be feeling better by the end of the week I hope.

Take care

Linda T

Thank you
    Thank you Linda for responding to my post. I am curious as to what a/c refers to. This who experiance has been so life changing for the time being I still wake up at night sometimes and just for a second think maybe it was a nightmare. I'll be starting taxol two weeks from yesterterday. I was really caught off guard by the sverity of menopause systems about how quickly they came on. Oh well, I will just get through it that much quicker. Thank you again,
    Please keep it touch, are you doing recon?d
    Take care
    Alison
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    hang in there!
    Allison, I know it is a bit of a cliche, but true. You are through the toughest chemo (A/C), and the Taxol has the bone ache side effects, but much more tolerable. Being slammed into menopause by the chemo doesn't help either.
    Being bald can be kinda cool, and the boobless thing, well, I bet your hubby doesn't agree with the unattractive idea. If you are feeling really down, talk to your onc, get help, do not let it catch hold. Visit here often and vent if you need to. We are here, and most of us have gone through it too.
    Take care and hope you feel better soon.
    Cat
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Alison
    Im going through the same cocktail right now. I have two to go. I know how you are feeling. Im boobless, bald and also feel totally unattractive these days. Im thankful i have my kids that tell me that im still pretty because i dont have a husband or boyfriend, so its just us. Im not into menopause yet THANK GOD! I guess you have every right to feel like you are loosing it!! HAHA im just kidding. Please keep coming back and posting. We all know how you feel right now. Take care of yourself.

laura
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537

Thank you
    Thank you Linda for responding to my post. I am curious as to what a/c refers to. This who experiance has been so life changing for the time being I still wake up at night sometimes and just for a second think maybe it was a nightmare. I'll be starting taxol two weeks from yesterterday. I was really caught off guard by the sverity of menopause systems about how quickly they came on. Oh well, I will just get through it that much quicker. Thank you again,
    Please keep it touch, are you doing recon?d
    Take care
    Alison

Hi Allison
    A/C refers to adriamycin/cytoxan. I am doing reconstruction eventually. I had expanders placed during surgery and had complications on the cancer side which required removing the expander on the right. I will eventually have to have the expander replaced then will move on with the fill of saline in the expander then surgery with reconstruction. That will be a while...Ive used alot of sick time so I will need to wait until sometime next year.

Let us know how you are doing

HUgs
    LInda T