Sillly question

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Once a port is put in - will it cause the security metal decetors at airports/court houses/etc. to "go off"? Hubby was asking about that last night.

Comments

• m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    I was told no.
    It's about the size of a quarter, so probably too small to be a security threat. The way it was described to me, it's a self-sealing silicone "bulb" and tube. If you google "chemo port", there is a website that shows a diagram of the chest area and how the device is installed. "Image--Port for Chemotherapy"...its close to the top of the list. There's also another site that shows an actual photo of a port.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

I was told no.
    It's about the size of a quarter, so probably too small to be a security threat. The way it was described to me, it's a self-sealing silicone "bulb" and tube. If you google "chemo port", there is a website that shows a diagram of the chest area and how the device is installed. "Image--Port for Chemotherapy"...its close to the top of the list. There's also another site that shows an actual photo of a port.

Yesterday Dr. showed me one
    Yesterday Dr. showed me one like he was putting in and it looked like the 'case' part of it was metallic. It kind of looked like purple aluminium (sp?) with the center area being some sort of soft 'stuff'. (It's a Power Port made by BARD)
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Im not sure, but they gave
    Im not sure, but they gave me a card that says i had one put in. So, just ask them about getting one and carry that with you at all times. And by the way, no question here is a silly one.

laura
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    lolad said:

Im not sure, but they gave me a card that says i had one put in. So, just ask them about getting one and carry that with you at all times. And by the way, no question here is a silly one.

laura

I have a card
    I have a card for not only my port but the tissue expanders.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I have a card
    I have a card for not only my port but the tissue expanders.

No question is silly!
    They should give you a card, just incase. Ask your onocologist for one.

Hugs!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I had a port in for 18
    I had a port in for 18 months, and never set off any alarms! For the record, my daughter (sadly, in my opinion) has her nipples pierced ewwwwww! as well as her belly button and she wears metal jewelry. She recently went to Europe and back, and not once did she set off an alarm! I think you are fine! You may open some garage random doors, or remote control airplanes may go off course, and you may slam into the automatic doors going into a supermarket, but aside from that; you will be fine! :-) :-)KIDDING No worries, even IF you were to set off an alarm in an airport...they would just have to know why! No big! But it isn'y at all likely!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    chenheart said:

I had a port in for 18
    I had a port in for 18 months, and never set off any alarms! For the record, my daughter (sadly, in my opinion) has her nipples pierced ewwwwww! as well as her belly button and she wears metal jewelry. She recently went to Europe and back, and not once did she set off an alarm! I think you are fine! You may open some garage random doors, or remote control airplanes may go off course, and you may slam into the automatic doors going into a supermarket, but aside from that; you will be fine! :-) :-)KIDDING No worries, even IF you were to set off an alarm in an airport...they would just have to know why! No big! But it isn'y at all likely!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

You might just ask for a
    You might just ask for a card from your doctor. It can't hurt.

Lex♥
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    LOL No it won't and I
    LOL No it won't and I traveled a lot both for business and pleasure while I had the port inserted. Now, my belt buckle is another story. Hugs, Lili
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    No. I just flew to Chicago.
    No. I just flew to Chicago. No problemas.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

No. I just flew to Chicago.
    No. I just flew to Chicago. No problemas.

I had trouble with my belt
    I had trouble with my belt buckle too. But, you might see if your oncologist gives out cards or something that says you have a port in.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    lolad said:

laura

I don't know if all give out
    I don't know if all give out a card, but, a friend of mine got one. So, just ask your doc for one.

Leeza
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    the one i had didnt when i
    the one i had didnt when i went airport