need sleep

Options
DeeBe
DeeBe Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am writing for my sister in law. she had her 2nd chemo last week and she still can't sleep. the dr gave her ambien last week but she can only sleep a couple of hours and is awake again and cannot go back to sleep. is there something else she can ask for that will help or does anyone have some tips i can pass on to her. I love this discussion board and have been reading it since she was diagnosed about 2 months ago. This is the first time i have posted. i have tried to get her to come here and vent and get some encouragement from all of you wonderful people but she says she is not ready. in the mean time i read and research for her and pass on what i think will be helpful to her.

Comments

• tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    You are a wonderful frined
    You are a wonderful frined and sister-in-law, what a loving thing you are doing for her. She might need a different kind of sleeping pill, and she may be getting a steriod with her chemo which will interfer with her sleeping pattern.
    Welcome to the family DeeBE, you and your family will be in my prayers
    tj
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    tjhay said:

You are a wonderful frined
    You are a wonderful frined and sister-in-law, what a loving thing you are doing for her. She might need a different kind of sleeping pill, and she may be getting a steriod with her chemo which will interfer with her sleeping pattern.
    Welcome to the family DeeBE, you and your family will be in my prayers
    tj

steroid
    If she does take a steroid she may consider taking it in the morning. It can jazz you up. But if she gets ativan that can help
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    carkris said:

steroid
    If she does take a steroid she may consider taking it in the morning. It can jazz you up. But if she gets ativan that can help

Steroids will keep her up,
    Steroids will keep her up, or, they usually do. Have her ask her oncologist for something else. There are lots of meds he can try with her. And, welcome!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • DeeBe
    DeeBe Member Posts: 2
    Options
    susie09 said:

Steroids will keep her up,
    Steroids will keep her up, or, they usually do. Have her ask her oncologist for something else. There are lots of meds he can try with her. And, welcome!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

thanks to all for your
    thanks to all for your input. I am going to check with her to see exactly when she is taking her meds and then have her call her doctor again.
  • Taina
    Taina Member Posts: 166
    Options
    i can't sleep neither
    hi, i will get my 3rd chemo on Monday. I can't sleep neither. My doctor has given me 2 different sleeping pills but they only work for 2-3 hrs only. They work just like if i take tylenol pm. This is a side effect from the chemo/steroids. The only thing i know it will be over soon...hopefully i will get my sleep back... you're sister-in-law may not be ready yet to talk to us but she needs you and we will be waiting for her. This is a great place where you can read what other people have experience in there journey, you can write your concerns, fears, share good momments and not so good....all ladies are great...and best of all when you can't sleep you can come to the message board and read until you fall sleep.....big hugs to you and your sister-in-law....
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing .. I start my chemo on 9-8
    Thanks for the valuable information.
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi DeeBe
    I have ambien as well and it doesnt really help that much for me either. I also have an antianxiety med called xanax or alprazolam which is short acting but does settle me down. When I was having my worst times, I would take 0.5mg of xanax 1/2 tablet to settle me down, then about 2 hours later I would take the ambien. The xanax only works for about 4 to 5 hours, but then I might try another 1/2 tablet later. That helped a little.

Hang in there...tell her to come to the sight when she is ready because it really is very helpful.

Hugs
    Linda T
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Bless Your Heart!
    I was never even asked if I had trouble sleeping....my onco doc has NO clue, and I didn't know how I was supposed to feel, so I never had any sleeping pills or anything. Wish that I had. I continue to be amazed at the number of us who get anti anxiety pills prescribed, sleeping pills, creme to numb the port, pain pills for the Neulasta shots...my dr never helped me at all, it seems! So, I did the "normal"...warm baths with candles, classical music cd's, chamomile tea, and even when I wasn't asleep, I hoped that my body was relaxing. When my sweetie and I would venture out to the movies, as soon as the lights went down, I was out for the count! I slept much better during the day than at night...cat napped all the time.

I do know, as many posters have said, that steroids make most of us jittery, so your SIL may want to discuss that with her Dr.

Thanks again for being such a great caregiver and friend...you are a blessing!

Hugs,
    Claudia