Hello to everyone and a question!

Tyari
Tyari Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
New to the boards today YAY! Hello Everyone!

And now the question:
I'm going to be starting chemo soon, getting my port tomorrow. I went and got my hair cut off because they say short hair may last longer. My hairdresser told me something about a cold cap, or a freezeing cap? That may help with hair loss. Has anyone heard of this?

I can't wait to meet all of you and thank you in advance for any info you may have :)

Comments

• tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Welcome
    Welcome to your second home, sorry that you to join us, but this is a good place to be.
    I have never heard of a cold cap or a freezeing cap, so can not help with that.
    However please know that we are all here for you and that you are not alone in this.
    tjhay
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Welcome
    Welcome. I read in a post earlier about a cold cap and as I recall the writer stated it didn't do much good. If I'm mistaken, have no fear, you'll get your answer from one of these wonderful ladies. There is a wealth of information on here; all you have to do is ask.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Tyari
    I have heard of a cool cap. I think the benefits are debateable. It may help you hold onto your hair a bit longer, but I don't think it will entirely prevent hair loss. I also recall hearing that it might interfere with chemo's effectiveness, but it was a while ago, so I may not be remembering correctly. Hair loss also depends upon the chemo cocktail you're on. Some combinations will only thin your hair, while others will shed it. Which chemo are you doing? My best to you.

Mimi
  • Tyari
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Tyari
    I have heard of a cool cap. I think the benefits are debateable. It may help you hold onto your hair a bit longer, but I don't think it will entirely prevent hair loss. I also recall hearing that it might interfere with chemo's effectiveness, but it was a while ago, so I may not be remembering correctly. Hair loss also depends upon the chemo cocktail you're on. Some combinations will only thin your hair, while others will shed it. Which chemo are you doing? My best to you.

Mimi

Thank you
    Thank you for the welcomes and the replys to the cap. I'm not sure what I'll be getting exactly. I go to teaching for it on friday, I'll know for sure then. But the Doctor and the nurse said I will lose my hair. So I got some scarves and an electric blue wig. hehe may as well have fun right?!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Tyari said:

Thank you
    Thank you for the welcomes and the replys to the cap. I'm not sure what I'll be getting exactly. I go to teaching for it on friday, I'll know for sure then. But the Doctor and the nurse said I will lose my hair. So I got some scarves and an electric blue wig. hehe may as well have fun right?!

Tyari, welcome. I lost my
    Tyari, welcome. I lost my hair day 14 after treatment. They told me that I was going to lose my hair know matter what I did. Enjoy your wig sounds like fun.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Kat11 said:

Tyari, welcome. I lost my
    Tyari, welcome. I lost my hair day 14 after treatment. They told me that I was going to lose my hair know matter what I did. Enjoy your wig sounds like fun.

Welcome, Tyari
    I read about the cold cap (cryotherapy) in an article on the Mayo Clinic site: mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/CA00037. I think the last sentence of the article pretty much says it all:

"Most people who try this procedure find it to be uncomfortable and very cold."

Really, ya think? :-)

And -- pardon me for being indelicate for just a moment -- when we found out that many women lose their hair EVERYWHERE, a certain person in my life (as a joke, really) suggested that instead I sit through chemo with the ice pack between my legs! :-o

Frankly, I'd go with that electric blue wig before anything else -- way to tell breast cancer that it can't take the fun out of everything!

Though I don't think even electric blue would stand a chance against that beautiful little red-haired girl in your picture -- it's just not fair that some people are born with hair color that perfect. Is she your daughter?

Traci
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Tyari
    I read about the cold cap (cryotherapy) in an article on the Mayo Clinic site: mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/CA00037. I think the last sentence of the article pretty much says it all:

And -- pardon me for being indelicate for just a moment -- when we found out that many women lose their hair EVERYWHERE, a certain person in my life (as a joke, really) suggested that instead I sit through chemo with the ice pack between my legs! :-o

Frankly, I'd go with that electric blue wig before anything else -- way to tell breast cancer that it can't take the fun out of everything!

Though I don't think even electric blue would stand a chance against that beautiful little red-haired girl in your picture -- it's just not fair that some people are born with hair color that perfect. Is she your daughter?

Traci

Tyari, Welcome to the
    Tyari, Welcome to the sisterhood. This is a great place to come for support, comfort and information. I know nothing about cold caps. However, I like warmth too much to even consider putting something frozen on my head. My husband is almost bald, so I think he's sort of looking forward to me having even less hair than he.

The NCS provides wigs free of charge to chemo patients. I'll be looking into that before my hair is gone. There are several threads telling of free hats and scarves. Today I received a beautiful silk headwrap from Laurie, along with another nice surprise. I don't want to spoil it for others, so I'm not telling what it it. Heavenly hats sends a selection of 5 nice hats. And another place also will send a hat. All that is required is to fill out the request form. There are so many generous people out there!

Some place in the nether regions of my closet, I have a purple fright wig...I should probably look for it! This might sound odd, but I'm actually more concerned about losing my eyebrows.
  • Tyari
    TraciInLA said:

Welcome, Tyari

Traci

LOLd at the ice packs! And
    LOLd at the ice packs! And yes the cutie in the pic is my little ray of sunshine (when she's sleeping) other than that she's all 2 year old lol. She's my little nurse too. Using her toy Doctors tools to make mama better. When I got home after my mastectomy she would "help" her Daddy help me off the couch lol.

Thank you everyone for the info. I'll be looking in the hats and scarves. May even knit myself a few ;)

I wore my wig out yesterday lol even tho I haven't started treatment, and still have hair it's short. The thing is, these days that hair fits right in!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Tyari, Welcome to the
    Tyari, Welcome to the sisterhood. This is a great place to come for support, comfort and information. I know nothing about cold caps. However, I like warmth too much to even consider putting something frozen on my head. My husband is almost bald, so I think he's sort of looking forward to me having even less hair than he.

The NCS provides wigs free of charge to chemo patients. I'll be looking into that before my hair is gone. There are several threads telling of free hats and scarves. Today I received a beautiful silk headwrap from Laurie, along with another nice surprise. I don't want to spoil it for others, so I'm not telling what it it. Heavenly hats sends a selection of 5 nice hats. And another place also will send a hat. All that is required is to fill out the request form. There are so many generous people out there!

Some place in the nether regions of my closet, I have a purple fright wig...I should probably look for it! This might sound odd, but I'm actually more concerned about losing my eyebrows.

Me too, Grace!
    There's not a lot about my body or face that I think is brag-worthy...but I have fabulous eyebrows. I shaped them myself years ago, and work really hard to keep them that way.

My eyebrows haven't started falling out (yet), and, now that I'm bald, they're even more prominently fabulous on my forehead (I had bangs before). I didn't cry when we shaved my head, but I know I'm going to bawl like a baby when I lose my eyebrows.

Traci
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

Tyari, Welcome to the

Hi Tyari
    Great name!........ I wasn't told anything about the cold cap, my oncologist (Dr. Charisma-Bypass) said: "You will lose your hair, get a wig!"..

BUT my auntie in England who is nearly 60 but has beautiful hair was offered the cold cap, she went through the same treatments (Nearly) as I did and her hair thinned a bit but she didn't lose it, I was a bald as a coot!

Anyway welcome, sorry for the reason you had to find us ... But we'll get through it together!

Good luck with your journey. Hugs Jxxxxxxxx
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Tyari said:

LOLd at the ice packs! And yes the cutie in the pic is my little ray of sunshine (when she's sleeping) other than that she's all 2 year old lol. She's my little nurse too. Using her toy Doctors tools to make mama better. When I got home after my mastectomy she would "help" her Daddy help me off the couch lol.

Thank you everyone for the info. I'll be looking in the hats and scarves. May even knit myself a few ;)

I wore my wig out yesterday lol even tho I haven't started treatment, and still have hair it's short. The thing is, these days that hair fits right in!

First hand experience...
    with the ice cap.
    I had chemo in 1986-7, wore the cap (verrrrry uncomfortable and gave me a major headache) with every treatment because they told me then that it would 'probably' keep me from loosing my hair. Well, I lost most of my hair and it got so thin I had to do the wig and hat thing anyway.
    THEN...I had chemo again in 1988-9. Did not wear the cap and...go figure...exactly the same result. Lost most of my hair again. It is a pain and I have never heard anyone say that it helped them keep their hair.
    Forget it. (Just my opinion.)
    God bless.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Tyari said:

Thank you

Welcome
    Hi Tyari! What a beautiful lil girl in your picture. Is that your daughter? I just want to welcome you. I didn't have chemo, but as you can see, many have and will, and they will help you. Good luck to you!

Kylez ♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    I'm calling my hair dresser tomorrow, as she is on mission to
    locate a site or firm here in CA that offer's human hair wigs at a reasonable price. Cold cap new focus for me.

Also, I've decided to have my eyebrows tattooed -- before losing them entirely. My brows are thin, due to the many years of plucking. I consider this a gift to myself. I had planned on getting a partial tattoo due to my thin brow line .. but now I am just going to go for it the entire brow. I am sure this will help me feel, like me once my hair has disappeared.

VickiSam
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    It was a thought years ago....
    And, as you have read here, it brought more headaches than heads of hair.

Welcome to the family!!

I remember feeling very smug after my rectal cancer chemo that I had hair thinning only. Then, I got the breast cancer diagnosis, 6 months later. I KNEW that I would lose my hair, got a wig from my treatment center, but only wore it for 30 minutes...I opted instead for scarves and hats...it was winter, and I was in The Netherlands (Holland) with snow and ice.

I now, over 3 years post treatment, have a thick, strong head of hair...it's a totally different color, but I like it alot. My eyebrows didn't come back as thick as before, so I'm watchful about plucking, but my eyelashes grew back, and all of my 'other' hair...lol!

What I'm saying is that all of this is temporary, and, a lesson to be learned from Farrah Fawcett who at first didn't take the battle seriously, this is a mean monster (cancer) that plays for keeps! We all need to do whatever it takes to defeat it!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Tyari said:

Welcome Tyari to the site.
    Welcome Tyari to the site. I want to wish you good luck with your chemo.

And, your daughter is darling, I am sure, just like her Mom. :)

Hugs!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Hi Tyari and welcome to the
    Hi Tyari and welcome to the boards! I didn't have chemo, just a lumpectomy and rads. Well, not just, it wasn't that easy. lol Wishing you lots of luck!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Hello to everyone
    Hi Tyari,

First, I have to say welcome! Then, WOW what a cutie pie you have to keep you motivated! You sound like you are a very strong woman that has great support at home. Most importantly is that sense of humor. I went bald in public a lot, well almost always. I used the sticky back rhinestones and would put them on my head making different designs. It was fun to watch peoples' reactions.

I hope that chemo is uneventful and you will be given a clean bill of health soon.
    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    djteach said:

Hello to everyone
    Hi Tyari,

First, I have to say welcome! Then, WOW what a cutie pie you have to keep you motivated! You sound like you are a very strong woman that has great support at home. Most importantly is that sense of humor. I went bald in public a lot, well almost always. I used the sticky back rhinestones and would put them on my head making different designs. It was fun to watch peoples' reactions.

I hope that chemo is uneventful and you will be given a clean bill of health soon.
    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna

Donna!
    I just love the sticky-back rhinestones idea! What a great way to "dress up" for special occasions...or just when you're feeling down. I can just imagine myself with a "crown of bling". Next time I'm at Hobby Lobby, I'm going to pick some up. Haven't started chemo yet, so still have my hair. But when it does go, this is another great way to lose the blues! Thanks. Gracie