Liver and CEA

Paula G.
Paula G. Member Posts: 596
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I have a question for you all. John's CEA when he started was 25 and a month ago it was 13. I am going to find out in the morning what it was last Wednesday. What is a normal CEA? I have read so many different numbers. I asked his Onc and he said he goes more on how the person feels and not the CEA...
Also John always had blood work done on his liver and to this day it shows everything is working great. How can it be so full of cancer and lite up so much on the Pet/CT scan and not show anything bad on the bloodwork? Also he has never been yellow. I asked the Onc on our first visit and all he said was that it is a good thing that it isn't showing bad on is bloodwork and a good thing that he wasn't yellow. After seeing his scan I was shocked it was working at all. Paula G.

Comments

• shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Hi Paula:

I do not have liver cancer, however I have stage IV colon cancer with extensive involvement in both lobes of my liver. My CEA goes up and down depending on where I am in treatment or off treatment. I have been off and on chemotherapy for about 2 and a half years now. Considering the extent of my disease, my liver function test results are pretty good, my bilirubin, etc. are within normal range so that means my liver is functioning ok. I believe my alkaline phospohtate is high - I might have that wrong - I don't get overly concerned about numbers. So if your husband's liver function tests are basically normal, I would say that is a good thing and not something to stress over. Additionaly, I have undergone chemoembolization on my liver twice and it has helped kill some of the tumors. You and your husband might want to look into that (ask the oncologist about it) if that hasn't already been discusssed. It's not a cake walk by any means as it requires a hospital stay of several days - about 4. Wishing you and your husband the best of luck. Roy
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Liver Function
    Paula,

My liver has been pretty inundated with tumors, radiation, chemo....and my liver function has always been great. Better than most people without cancer. Go figure. It is a VERY good thing for John, even if we can't make sense of it. You are both blessed...take it and RUN!! LOL

Hugs,

Kimby
  • Paula G.
    shrevebud said:

Hi Paula:

I do not have liver cancer, however I have stage IV colon cancer with extensive involvement in both lobes of my liver. My CEA goes up and down depending on where I am in treatment or off treatment. I have been off and on chemotherapy for about 2 and a half years now. Considering the extent of my disease, my liver function test results are pretty good, my bilirubin, etc. are within normal range so that means my liver is functioning ok. I believe my alkaline phospohtate is high - I might have that wrong - I don't get overly concerned about numbers. So if your husband's liver function tests are basically normal, I would say that is a good thing and not something to stress over. Additionaly, I have undergone chemoembolization on my liver twice and it has helped kill some of the tumors. You and your husband might want to look into that (ask the oncologist about it) if that hasn't already been discusssed. It's not a cake walk by any means as it requires a hospital stay of several days - about 4. Wishing you and your husband the best of luck. Roy

Thanks Roy
    I see you are new to the board. I joined in May. My husbands colon cancer spread to his liver and a bit in his lungs and a spot on his adrenal gland. You can click on the persons sign on name and read about them if they put info in. I haven't heard of chemoembolization before. I will do some research and ask this new Onc.
    I am just pretty freaked out about seeing it like that. I knew it was bad but I thought I would see some parts that weren't lit up. I do know that it has gone down in size because they have said that in the exam.Thanks for responding. Paula
  • Paula G.
    kimby said:

Liver Function
    Paula,

My liver has been pretty inundated with tumors, radiation, chemo....and my liver function has always been great. Better than most people without cancer. Go figure. It is a VERY good thing for John, even if we can't make sense of it. You are both blessed...take it and RUN!! LOL

Hugs,

Kimby

Your back
    Thanks Kimby. I am glad to see you are back. You have been missed. Paula
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Paula G. said:

Your back
    Thanks Kimby. I am glad to see you are back. You have been missed. Paula

Sort of
    Paula,

Well, I'm sort of back. I'm in Laramie, WY now and headed to Estes Park,CO then Denver on Tues. I fly home Wednesday for chemo and rads on Thursday. Hit a miss yet this week, but then I'll really be back. I've missed you all so much!

Kimby