question about lymphoma

tf168wife
tf168wife Member Posts: 21
I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but my sister recently discovered a lump in her breast. She just had ultrasound and the radiologist told her it is a lymphnode and on further examination found another one and one under her arm that he said looks suspicious - not for breast cancer, but for cancer of the lymphnodes - so lymphoma? My question is, I have read many posts talking about masses in your chest - what about lymphnodes in/around the breast? Could this be lymphoma? I'm confused. She goes on Friday for biopsies and then we'll know more. Like I said, I'm getting ahead of myself, but decided to do some checking since he put it out there!
I am a member of this site because I myself have leukemia (CLL), so it is a little concerning for me (for her).

Comments

• tf168wife
    really? nobody?
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    tf168wife said:

really? nobody?

Always hard to tell
    Hi there,

I am a 20 year survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma and have heard plenty of success stories with non-Hodgkins. My tumor was in my chest so was not detected until an x-ray was taken. It had to be biopsied to determine what it was. There is no way of determining what this is until they look at it. It could be benign even. Let's hope. Are there any other symptoms like nightsweats, fever or weightloss?

Thinking good thoughts, Lance
  • tf168wife
    ldot123 said:

Always hard to tell
    Hi there,

I am a 20 year survivor of Hodgkins Lymphoma and have heard plenty of success stories with non-Hodgkins. My tumor was in my chest so was not detected until an x-ray was taken. It had to be biopsied to determine what it was. There is no way of determining what this is until they look at it. It could be benign even. Let's hope. Are there any other symptoms like nightsweats, fever or weightloss?

Thinking good thoughts, Lance

no, no other signs. I didn't
    no, no other signs. I didn't want to jump the gun, but wonder why a doctor would even suggest that without more tests! My sister, understandably so is very scared. My mother is a breast cancer survivor, my older sister a uterine cancer survivor, and I was just diagnosed with CLL this year, so her odds are not good!
    I was wondering about the difference between a cancerous lymphnode, and a 'mass' that I have seen many of you post about.
    I appreciate your response, and are praying for the best!
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    tf168wife said:

no, no other signs. I didn't
    no, no other signs. I didn't want to jump the gun, but wonder why a doctor would even suggest that without more tests! My sister, understandably so is very scared. My mother is a breast cancer survivor, my older sister a uterine cancer survivor, and I was just diagnosed with CLL this year, so her odds are not good!
    I was wondering about the difference between a cancerous lymphnode, and a 'mass' that I have seen many of you post about.
    I appreciate your response, and are praying for the best!

Difference
    I think a cancerous node would simply be swollen and not tender to the touch. I am no doctor so don't take anything I say as gospel - just going by my own experience. A mass would be something beyond a swollen node and would have started growing into something larger like a tumor or mass as it is called. Hang in there.

Cheers, Lance
  • jcjjbazpi
    jcjjbazpi Member Posts: 1
    tf168wife said:

really? nobody?

new
    Yes, my husband and I are new to this. He has been diagnosed with T-Cell lymphoma.
    We are currently waiting for bone marrow testing and are uncertain what to expect.
    Have been reading the boards and feel hopefully encouraged on the one hand; on the other, I remain worried about the treatment,just how bad is it going to be, what to expect; what to expect of the future; can my husband plan to live a "normal" life again?
    As a care giver, how do you keep the stiff upper chin, or is this even possible. Please forgive my mixmaster questions, just don't know how to handle all this.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator