Anyone on taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin for their chemo?

sunshine1961
sunshine1961 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I haven't started chemo yet. Did anyone have many side effects from this and when did the side effects start? Day 1,2.or ???? I'm worried about my heart with the herception
did anyone have problems? thanks

Comments

• BunnyJane
    BunnyJane Member Posts: 213
    HI Sunshine
    The side effects that you experience may depend upon the various agents in your chemo. 'cocktail'. I'm doing four cycles of taxotere and cytoxan. My side effects have included extreme fatigue and pain (probably from the Neulasta shot). My worst days are days three and four after treatment. I have not had any nausea. So far, the side effects have been fairly predictable and manageable. I have my treatment on Wednesday so that my bad days fall on Sat. and Sun., when I don't have to work. Make sure that you drink lots of water and allow plenty of time for rest.

I'm sure that other members can provide some insights for the other chemo. treatments that are commonly prescribed. Best of luck to you! Jane
  • aurora2009
    aurora2009 Member Posts: 544 Member
    Hi Sunshine and Welcome
    Sorry I can't answer you since I'm still waiting to find out about chemo. But good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

God Bless

Aurora
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    I am on that regimen. My
    I am on that regimen. My side effects are varied. I don't have any from the herceptin, but the taxotere!I have fatigue the second day, bad enough that my mom takes my girls for the day and night so I can sleep. Then 3 days exactly after, I have very bad diarrhea(not pleasant) that lasts about a week. I am on strong meds for it, but it doesn't do much. I did lose most of my hair, but I still have just barely enough to not wear my wigs yet or scarves. I have had 2 rounds so far. It's tough, but manageable. Just ask for help when you need it! I think the heart is a very rare symptom and they watch closely for anything with that.Good luck!Keep us posted after you start! Just a side note, I had a dr appt yesterday and he had to check his notes to find my tumor (which was very large on july 2nd when I was diagnosed) because the chemo is working so well! So it is worth any side effect as far as I am concerned!!!!
  • sunshine1961
    Thanks to all that got back
    Thanks to all that got back to me.I had a port put in a few days ago I am ready for the jouney!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member

Thanks to all that got back
    Thanks to all that got back to me.I had a port put in a few days ago I am ready for the jouney!

Hi sunshine and welcome. I
    Hi sunshine and welcome. I am sorry, I didn't have chemo, so, I can't answer your questions. But, good luck to you and keep us updated on you.

Kylez
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Hi Sunshine and Welcome
    Sorry I can't answer you since I'm still waiting to find out about chemo. But good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

God Bless

Aurora

Hey Sunshine and welcome.
    Hey Sunshine and welcome. Wishing you good luck with chemo. I didn't have it, so, I am not much help. Sorry
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    keep us updated
    Let us know how your chemo goes when you are feeling up to it! The herceptin (for me ) is the easiest part. The whole thing is scary, but you have to go in believing its gong to work
    and that every side effect if worth it in the long run!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    mberg said:

keep us updated
    Let us know how your chemo goes when you are feeling up to it! The herceptin (for me ) is the easiest part. The whole thing is scary, but you have to go in believing its gong to work
    and that every side effect if worth it in the long run!

Hey sunshine. I want to
    Hey sunshine. I want to welcome you to the site! I am sure several will answer your questions about chemo.

Hugs
  • ainvista
    ainvista Member Posts: 7
    Hang In There, Sunshine
    I'm on the same chemo meds & have had 5 treatments with one to go this Wednesday. Yeah!! I get really tired the 2nd day after chemo & then get the sensitive tummy & diarhea. My oncologist put me on Emend that comes in a 3-pack. It helps you from getting the nausea in the first place. If the nausea really hits you hard, ask your dr. about this.

I have to have Herceptin by IV every 3 weeks for a year. I start radiation sometime in Sept & that's Monday-Friday for 7 weeks. I'm also on some oral med for 5 years. WOW, is this just too much fun or what!! You can handle whatever they throw at you, Sunshine. Just look to the future & never look back. You are a survivor!! ....Andrea
  • sunshine1961
    ainvista said:

Hang In There, Sunshine
    I'm on the same chemo meds & have had 5 treatments with one to go this Wednesday. Yeah!! I get really tired the 2nd day after chemo & then get the sensitive tummy & diarhea. My oncologist put me on Emend that comes in a 3-pack. It helps you from getting the nausea in the first place. If the nausea really hits you hard, ask your dr. about this.

I have to have Herceptin by IV every 3 weeks for a year. I start radiation sometime in Sept & that's Monday-Friday for 7 weeks. I'm also on some oral med for 5 years. WOW, is this just too much fun or what!! You can handle whatever they throw at you, Sunshine. Just look to the future & never look back. You are a survivor!! ....Andrea

Thank you Ainvista
    Thanks for the info, Ainvista. It was nice to hear from you.I will have to do Herceptin for a year too.I won't be on Tomaxophen my cancer was not hormone fed if that is the drug you will be on. I might have another drug added in when I am finished with the chemo part and just doing herceptin.I will also be doing radiation after chemo. I have my 1st round Thursday.
    Talk to you soon --Debbie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Thank you Ainvista
    Thanks for the info, Ainvista. It was nice to hear from you.I will have to do Herceptin for a year too.I won't be on Tomaxophen my cancer was not hormone fed if that is the drug you will be on. I might have another drug added in when I am finished with the chemo part and just doing herceptin.I will also be doing radiation after chemo. I have my 1st round Thursday.
    Talk to you soon --Debbie

Hi Sunshine. Welcome to the
    Hi Sunshine. Welcome to the boards. I didn't take chemo nor herceptin. Just want to wish you good luck. Keep us updated.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    The Trio
    Hi Sunshine,

I will be on the same cocktail as you are taking. I'm going to start chemo on 9/24. Mine was postponed due to a skin infection that appeared on my lumpectomy incision. Will let you know how it goes with me. Oh, yes, are you being followed up by a cardiologist? If not, ask you oncologist about it.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Bella Luna and Sunshine !! I'm on the same treatment, startin
    chemo on 9/8. I too am worried about the herception, however, I am having an Echo on Thursday, morning to confirm my heart is in good shape. 1 hour after my echo, I am scheduled for port. Sounds like a fun day...

Good luck to the both of you .. write me anytime so we can compare notes.

VickiSam
  • sunshine1961
    VickiSam said:

Bella Luna and Sunshine !! I'm on the same treatment, startin
    chemo on 9/8. I too am worried about the herception, however, I am having an Echo on Thursday, morning to confirm my heart is in good shape. 1 hour after my echo, I am scheduled for port. Sounds like a fun day...

Good luck to the both of you .. write me anytime so we can compare notes.

VickiSam

Hi Bella Luna and VickiSam
    I had my 1st round of chemo last Thursday.Day of chemo and day after I felt fine I was tired on day 3and 4 a little on day 5. My stomach is a little off but very little nauseousness I was on Emend and other nauseous meds too.
    I wasn't too tired not to do anything I still went for a walk and a little stuff around the house. If friends offer to make dinners take them up on it. I was nice not to have to think of meals for my family.I'm back to work tomorrow. I'll let you know how next round is. I also had my heart echo a few weeks ago.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Hi Bella Luna and VickiSam
    I had my 1st round of chemo last Thursday.Day of chemo and day after I felt fine I was tired on day 3and 4 a little on day 5. My stomach is a little off but very little nauseousness I was on Emend and other nauseous meds too.
    I wasn't too tired not to do anything I still went for a walk and a little stuff around the house. If friends offer to make dinners take them up on it. I was nice not to have to think of meals for my family.I'm back to work tomorrow. I'll let you know how next round is. I also had my heart echo a few weeks ago.

Glad you got your first
    Glad you got your first chemo behind you Sunshine! Sounds like you did ok. Good luck with work and the rest of your treatment. Update us!

♠♣ Susie ♠♣