info about second opinions

daisy366
daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Thanks! Good article.
    The article makes me feel better about calling my radiation oncologist before using the hormone cream the new gyn-onc prescribed on Monday. I had been feeling like I was 'tattling' and initiating conflict among colleagues at the same facility. Now I will assume that they are both above that type of pettiness. In explaining why I was questioning the new gyn-onc's recommendation, I told my radiation oncologist that the new gyn-onc was very surprised that I'd had all that radiation, and that made me have doubts about his opinions in general. The radiation onc replied that 'pelvic radiation is controversial for women with no evidence of disease in that region, weighing the risk of side effects against the benefit, but that I had made it very clear that I wanted to go with aggressive treatment and a cure. I reassured him that I would have fought for the radiation if he denied it, and was very happy with myu decision now that I am in remission and have no side affects that I can tell. My radiation oncologist said that I should use a very small dab of the hormone cream the 3 times a week that it was prescribed, and that the absorption rate is very very small anyway. I would like to have the pathology from my surgery reviewed again, just to make sure 100% of my cancer cells are UPSC and that 0% of any Type 1 (hormone receptive) cells were found. But until I can make that happen, I will use the tiniest tiny dab of the hormone cream 3 times a week on my dilator. I like the new gyn-onc and I know he has a lot of experience with UPSC. I want to trust his opinions. But, as the article suggested, I feel better to have gotten confirmation of it from another oncologist. I may also phone my original gyn-onc who did mt surgery to discuss this.
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member

Thanks! Good article.
    The article makes me feel better about calling my radiation oncologist before using the hormone cream the new gyn-onc prescribed on Monday. I had been feeling like I was 'tattling' and initiating conflict among colleagues at the same facility. Now I will assume that they are both above that type of pettiness. In explaining why I was questioning the new gyn-onc's recommendation, I told my radiation oncologist that the new gyn-onc was very surprised that I'd had all that radiation, and that made me have doubts about his opinions in general. The radiation onc replied that 'pelvic radiation is controversial for women with no evidence of disease in that region, weighing the risk of side effects against the benefit, but that I had made it very clear that I wanted to go with aggressive treatment and a cure. I reassured him that I would have fought for the radiation if he denied it, and was very happy with myu decision now that I am in remission and have no side affects that I can tell. My radiation oncologist said that I should use a very small dab of the hormone cream the 3 times a week that it was prescribed, and that the absorption rate is very very small anyway. I would like to have the pathology from my surgery reviewed again, just to make sure 100% of my cancer cells are UPSC and that 0% of any Type 1 (hormone receptive) cells were found. But until I can make that happen, I will use the tiniest tiny dab of the hormone cream 3 times a week on my dilator. I like the new gyn-onc and I know he has a lot of experience with UPSC. I want to trust his opinions. But, as the article suggested, I feel better to have gotten confirmation of it from another oncologist. I may also phone my original gyn-onc who did mt surgery to discuss this.

Good for you. I'm glad you
    Good for you. I'm glad you are keeping everyone in the conversation. My care has been exclusively with this one practice - they are a monopoly in a 100+ mile radius. And well respected - One researcher that I contacted said I was getting treatment from "two of the best doctors in the US". So I want to be confident about my treatment but I think we can all relate to those nagging fears about "what if?"