High grade DCIS with Micro invasion -- ER/PR negative // Her2 position // 2nd opinion rec'd @St. Jos

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's worst than we first thought. Met with Dr. Harness this a.m. at 8:00 a.m., my appointment lasted until 10:30 A.M.

Dr. Harness not happy with the site of my lumpectomy, or the deformation of my left breast. size of tumor removed: 10.0 x 7.0 x 4.0 cm. Dr. H refused to discuss, but asked for my general surgeon's name and telephone #. Also, not happy that a core bipopy was not taken before my lumpectomy surgery on 8/10.

I handed over my films and slides (pathology), and left the note taking to my sister and girlfriend, who both accompanied me to my 2nd opionion with Dr. H. I felt that I could replay anything I needed to review and research .. via tape. - as I took a tape recorder with me to this appointment.

I have an MRI scheduled at St. Joseph's on Friday @11:15 a.m. to determine if my lumph nodes are infected with cancer, as well as to review my right breast (not bc).

Tuesday 8/26 .. Dr. H and his staff will review my chart, files, film, etc. to decide what the best course of treatment. I have a 2:30 p.m. appt that same day to find out what direction we will be pursing.

Dr. H is an advocate in Breast conserving, however, I made it very CLEAR that I prefer to have a double mastectomy, as my odds of getting bc in my right breast are extremely high.

Anyone out there with similiar results ?? Please forward on to me.

Thank you all,

Vicki

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    I have never heard of using
    I have never heard of using an MRI to tell about lymph nodes. I always thought you had to have at least one surgically removed and tested. MRI's aren't 100 percent accurate. And, what size is your tumor? Mine was .6 cm, which is small. And, what stage and grade are you? That determines your treatment also. Did you get your pathology report explained to you?

Good luck to you! Sorry the news isn't good.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • VickiSam
    susie09 said:

I have never heard of using
    I have never heard of using an MRI to tell about lymph nodes. I always thought you had to have at least one surgically removed and tested. MRI's aren't 100 percent accurate. And, what size is your tumor? Mine was .6 cm, which is small. And, what stage and grade are you? That determines your treatment also. Did you get your pathology report explained to you?

Good luck to you! Sorry the news isn't good.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

tumor size 3.0 x 2.4. x 2.0 cm
    Stage III, grade not discussed, as Dr. H was not impressed with the biopsy report, that why his staff had me hand carry over the slides from my biospy along with path reports.

St. Joseph's is will perform their biopsy based on what I hand carried with me today.

High Grade is what killing me.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    VickiSam said:

Stage III, grade not discussed, as Dr. H was not impressed with the biopsy report, that why his staff had me hand carry over the slides from my biospy along with path reports.

St. Joseph's is will perform their biopsy based on what I hand carried with me today.

Sorry about all of this
    Sorry about all of this VickiSam. I wish you the best of luck. Your oncologist should explain everything to you though. You should insist on it. There are so many stories of the doctor's getting the wrong reports with the wrong people. And, always get copies of everything, your pathology report especially.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    VickiSam said:

Vicki
    Hi Vicki, I was diagnosed stage 3a, 6 positive lymph nodes out of 26 taken, (during my mastectomy) the lymph nodes were tested at the time of my surgery. I am also ER and PR negative and Her2 positive. I don't know about grade..it wasn't listed on my path report.

I had mastectomy L side, chemo (carboplatin, taxatere, and Herceptin every 3 weeks for 6 rounds, Radiation 34 treatments. and am continuingHerceptin for the rest of the year.

I am wishing you all the luck in the world with your biopsy report. Keep us posted.
    hugs, jackie
  • VickiSam
    rjjj said:

Vicki
    Hi Vicki, I was diagnosed stage 3a, 6 positive lymph nodes out of 26 taken, (during my mastectomy) the lymph nodes were tested at the time of my surgery. I am also ER and PR negative and Her2 positive. I don't know about grade..it wasn't listed on my path report.

I had mastectomy L side, chemo (carboplatin, taxatere, and Herceptin every 3 weeks for 6 rounds, Radiation 34 treatments. and am continuingHerceptin for the rest of the year.

I am wishing you all the luck in the world with your biopsy report. Keep us posted.
    hugs, jackie

Thank you for the encourging words of wisdom
    Jackie,

I know for a fact that Dr. H (2nd opionion today) did say too much as he was extremely disappointed at path reports, and is requesting his staff preform a new biospy based on what I hand carried in. He was not exactly thrilled at the site of my left breast after the general surgeon's cut job. My sister and girlfriend stayed with me the entire visit, and felt the same way I did. Dr. H want to gather new info and see me on Tuesday, next week after his staff reviews my charts, mammo etc . before delivering any news.

I am scared by the term he used over and over .. High grade DCIS with micro invision .. not to mention the Her2 neu/positive, or the ER/PR - negative readings.

It sounds like our diagnosis are very similiar.

I'll keep you posted.

Vicki
  • traceyt
    traceyt Member Posts: 77
    VickiSam said:

High grade
    Vicki
    I too after my stereotactic biopsy had an MRI where they injected a dye to see if invasive cancer had spread to the nodes, there werent thank goodness. I had a pretty sizable amount of DCIS (4cm) and it too was high grade although non invasive. I did seek a 2nd opinion by a breast surgeon at a breast cancer center and she explained to me that high grade had to do with the characteristics of the cells under a microscope. Not sure if that helps or not
    Glad you were persistant in getting in to see the other Dr today :)
    ((Hugs))
    TT
  • peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    traceyt said:

High grade
    Vicki
    I too after my stereotactic biopsy had an MRI where they injected a dye to see if invasive cancer had spread to the nodes, there werent thank goodness. I had a pretty sizable amount of DCIS (4cm) and it too was high grade although non invasive. I did seek a 2nd opinion by a breast surgeon at a breast cancer center and she explained to me that high grade had to do with the characteristics of the cells under a microscope. Not sure if that helps or not
    ((Hugs))
    TT

traceyt
    i had 2 centimeters no lymh node involvent er positive pr positive and her2 negative no spreading i had a mammorgraph nothing showed on mammographs last 5 years so after i dropped weight on my breast i went back for sonnagram they said with hemotoma i had a cysst so my hubby put me in car and off to hershey i went they did mri nothing lit up but that spot then i had biopys got all these resuts same day no waiting i loved that on day of my surgery they put dye in my brewast in morning to see which lymph nodes lit up they removed 4 all were negative for carcinoma then they sent out to california and 4 sliced each one to make sure no mircrospoci they missed all were negative the save my tumors now are being sent out to chechk the metals chominum nickel etc
    they did 20 breast biopsys and 8 with gene all were nomal 17 were extremly elevatedwith all these chemicals i have no cancer of any kind in my family want to know where it came from especiall hexavalent chromium 6 my husband a welder he was exposed and brought home in november god bless every one this pr positive er positive her2 negative i get confused my breast surgeon explained this was a good kind if there is any ty peggy
  • peggypeggy
    peggypeggy Member Posts: 111
    VickiSam said:

Jackie,

I know for a fact that Dr. H (2nd opionion today) did say too much as he was extremely disappointed at path reports, and is requesting his staff preform a new biospy based on what I hand carried in. He was not exactly thrilled at the site of my left breast after the general surgeon's cut job. My sister and girlfriend stayed with me the entire visit, and felt the same way I did. Dr. H want to gather new info and see me on Tuesday, next week after his staff reviews my charts, mammo etc . before delivering any news.

I am scared by the term he used over and over .. High grade DCIS with micro invision .. not to mention the Her2 neu/positive, or the ER/PR - negative readings.

I'll keep you posted.

Vicki

vickisam
    good luck to you hon i say prayer its all scary i had a month to deal with mine you will be fine i love my surgeon he says **** happens move on i was so nerveous the first time people looking at your breast poking proding etc the first thing he said to me is im not a breast man im a toe man so dont worry
    that relaxed me and hubby
    then he said this wont kill you but walking in front of bus will he calls t times a week since my surgery he is a peach god bless you i hope this helpseggy
  • sunshine1961
    sunshine1961 Member Posts: 13
    vickisam
    Hi I too have high grade dcis, Neg er&pr( poss her2) I had 3 sentinal nodes involved. Had a lumpectomy and that is when they did sentinel node biopsey. Then a cat, pet, bone scan and mri of both breasts. My tests came out neg. :)
    Now I will start 6 rounds of Taxotere,carboplatin and herceptin and then herceptin for about
    8 more months I also might go on a trial med along with my herceptin. I'm really scared of all the drugs I will be on. Stick to your guns and do what is best for you.As for me my oncologist met with other Docs. and decided a mastectomy was up to me ,but did not feel it would make my odds any different if I did the chemo and radiation after. Take care (Sunshine 1961)
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    VickiSam said:

Jackie,

I'll keep you posted.

Vicki

Vickie and Sunshine1961
    Vicki, I am so sorry about the path reports and disappointing work of the first medical team. However, you were smart and got a second opinion, and this doctor seems really on the ball. It sounds like Dr. H cares and has high standards and will be thorough. All that is good news.

How smart of you also to take a tape recorder and your sister and girlfriend along to the appt. (Good that you took your friend as well because your sister was likely as emotional almost as you.) You are being proactive and taking ownership of your care. That's a big plus in your corner, too.

Vicki and Sunshine61, many women here have had your diagnosis and handled the treatment very well. My special friend and sister Jackie just finished treatment. She is here for you already, as you saw, as are so many others.

We may have different situations, but we all have been told we had cancer. Which means we all have been scared, just as you two are. And we all got past that point and are survivors, just as you two are--and will continue to be.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member

vickisam
    Hi I too have high grade dcis, Neg er&pr( poss her2) I had 3 sentinal nodes involved. Had a lumpectomy and that is when they did sentinel node biopsey. Then a cat, pet, bone scan and mri of both breasts. My tests came out neg. :)
    Now I will start 6 rounds of Taxotere,carboplatin and herceptin and then herceptin for about
    8 more months I also might go on a trial med along with my herceptin. I'm really scared of all the drugs I will be on. Stick to your guns and do what is best for you.As for me my oncologist met with other Docs. and decided a mastectomy was up to me ,but did not feel it would make my odds any different if I did the chemo and radiation after. Take care (Sunshine 1961)

Hi Sunshine
    Welcome to the club nobody wants to join. Please keep us informed we will be for you hun. I feel that the onc.'s know the best fo me... and i am now dancing with Ned

Ned and Jackie
  • VickiSam
    traceyt said:

High grade
    Vicki
    ((Hugs))
    TT

TT .. Thank you so very much for the information
    Your information is VERY helpful and appreciated. I am terrified, but with the support of this board - I am moving forward ..

Vicki
  • VickiSam

vickisam

Sunshine 1961 -- Thank you for sharing
    I am hoping and praying that somehow my nodes will be found to be negative of any cancer.

Like you, I am scared of all the drugs. I don't know the cocktail mix just yet, but I'm still freakin out about the chemo.

Dr. H has not mentioned anything about a cat, pet,or bone scan. I guess I will just have to wait until Tuesday's appointment.

Thank you for the personal story and posting.

Please keep in touch!

Vicki
  • Reikigemgirl
    Reikigemgirl Member Posts: 278
    VickiSam said:

Sunshine 1961 -- Thank you for sharing
    I am hoping and praying that somehow my nodes will be found to be negative of any cancer.

Like you, I am scared of all the drugs. I don't know the cocktail mix just yet, but I'm still freakin out about the chemo.

Dr. H has not mentioned anything about a cat, pet,or bone scan. I guess I will just have to wait until Tuesday's appointment.

Thank you for the personal story and posting.

Please keep in touch!

Vicki

Vicki....
    sounds like you have a great medical team in your corner now. I am also so scared of the chemo drugs. Looks like next Thursday is my first treatment. Good luck at Tuesday's appt.

Love and Light,
    Vicki
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234

vickisam

hi sunshine
    what other drug

hi sunshine
    what other drug will you be going on? I have been asked to be part of a study which is only for her+ breast cancer it is called bevacizumab) or the BETH trial? thanks Lisa
  • e_hope
    e_hope Member Posts: 370
    VickiSam said:

confused??????? why are they
    confused??????? why are they telling you your grade 3.... if they don't know node involvement... My tumor was 3.5 x 3.5 grade 3 (highest grade) cancer cells .. 2 + nodes.. and triple negitive.. and my staging is 2b..

so you had a lumpectomy and they didn't take the sental node at time of surgery???

I had a double mastectomy.. at time of surgery they did they sential node disection sent it to the lab while I was on the table and conformed the positive nodes then remove 5 more nodes..

I had the breast MRI, and breast PEM Scan prior to my surgery which all came back susp. for node involvement..

before you have the breast MRI.. check with your insurance company to make sure they will pay for it.. I am still fighting with mine because they said it was a unnecessary test..

found out today at a breast cancer survivor luncheon.. that there is a lot of conflicting reports on the breast MRI as a diagnostic study if there is a benefit to doing this test.

good luck keep us posted
  • BELIEVEx3
    BELIEVEx3 Member Posts: 24
    I am just curious, what
    I am just curious, what state are you in??????
  • newbiefromcananda
    newbiefromcananda Member Posts: 234

vickisam

hi sunshine
    is the trial med

hi sunshine
    is the trial med bevacizumab (or avastin) I have been asked to try this and I am still pondering it? Thanks Lisa