Awaiting Colonoscopy

wjm1961
wjm1961 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,

I am new to this board but unfortunately not new to the network. I am a 5 year survivor of Kidney Cancer.

I've recently been experiencing rectal bleeding, have had a complete change in my bowel movements, have bouts of nausea, constipation and diarrhoea. I alway feel like I have to go but most times can't. This is very unusual for me as I am usually very regular. My doc is scheduling a colonoscopy and I am very nervous. Any advice or insight would be helpful!

Bill

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    scope
    I have had over6 scopes done. Always been totally out for each one, no discomfort. The prep can be a little rough, you take laxatives and drink a large jug of lax the night before, so your going a lot that night. Hope your scope goes as smooth as mine all have. Hoping you the best of all possible results in what they find. Just make sure you are proactive, they can make sure that you are totally out when they do the scopes so you don't feel a thing.
    Best Wishes
    Pam
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Welcome Bill and CONGRATS!
    Hoping and praying that your tests come back something minor but I'm glad you're being pro-active.

Congratulations for kicking kidney cancer's rear end! That's great news!
    Diane
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Welcome Bill
    Hi, Bill

First let me congratulate you on your success with kidney cancer...you must open up a post just to tell us about your experience...I for one would be very interested to read what a veteran of that Cancer would have to tell me.

I'm glad you are getting this looked into...that's a wise move on your part.

Bleeding and changes in bowel movements are definite signs that something could be amiss. A colonoscopy should tell you where you are at.

That's how it started with me - horrible, multiple bowel movements each day with periodic episodes of bleeding, then they would stop, but the BM's would continue. Then the bleeding would start again and so on. I determined that the bleeding periods were probably the tumor growing into the wall and expanding.

My doctor wrote it off to hemhorroids and since I was never sick at that time, I did not know any better and just listened to him for way too long, 3 years to be exact. Then a test revealed blood in the stools, I went to a GI doctor who scoped me and confirmed I had colorectal cancer....it was in the lower part of the rectum.

So, it makes me feel better to know that you have recognized that something is wrong and are taking a proactive action plan to get this addresed.

If the worst news comes true, then please stay with us on the board and talk to us and we all be more than glad to help and support you in any way. There is alot of wisdom over here with so many good people who are happy to help each other. We all want each other to get better.

Thanks for your post and welcome over to the Semi Colon; family.

Please post your results as I and everybody will want to hear how things went and where we go from here.

Make it a great day!
    -Craig
  • sig
    sig Member Posts: 13
    Sundanceh said:

Welcome Bill
    Hi, Bill

First let me congratulate you on your success with kidney cancer...you must open up a post just to tell us about your experience...I for one would be very interested to read what a veteran of that Cancer would have to tell me.

I'm glad you are getting this looked into...that's a wise move on your part.

Bleeding and changes in bowel movements are definite signs that something could be amiss. A colonoscopy should tell you where you are at.

That's how it started with me - horrible, multiple bowel movements each day with periodic episodes of bleeding, then they would stop, but the BM's would continue. Then the bleeding would start again and so on. I determined that the bleeding periods were probably the tumor growing into the wall and expanding.

My doctor wrote it off to hemhorroids and since I was never sick at that time, I did not know any better and just listened to him for way too long, 3 years to be exact. Then a test revealed blood in the stools, I went to a GI doctor who scoped me and confirmed I had colorectal cancer....it was in the lower part of the rectum.

So, it makes me feel better to know that you have recognized that something is wrong and are taking a proactive action plan to get this addresed.

If the worst news comes true, then please stay with us on the board and talk to us and we all be more than glad to help and support you in any way. There is alot of wisdom over here with so many good people who are happy to help each other. We all want each other to get better.

Thanks for your post and welcome over to the Semi Colon; family.

Please post your results as I and everybody will want to hear how things went and where we go from here.

Make it a great day!
    -Craig

Good wishes for Bill
    Bill,
    Adding good wishes for your Colonoscopy. I have my next one this December, not fun, yet required! Hope your discomfort is minimal, e.g. they find a few polyps, and nothing major, yet even if something to deal with, you can do it, we all can hopefully.

Rectal Cancer survivor, newish to all this still. December this year will be two years since my DX (total surprise, though I should have gone for check up earlier); and then major treatments for me, all of them. Aiming to reach five years, and many more :-).
  • pamysue
    pamysue Member Posts: 105
    The only advise
    I can think of is not to assume the worst. Let's get through the colonoscopy and see what you're dealing with. Did you have a sigmoid flex done at the surgeon's office?
    I hope your colonoscopy is soon and that it comes back with good news of something quickly fixable. The people here are always available though. Best board in the world.
    Pam
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi. Bill.
    Hi, Bill.

I'm glad you're getting a colonoscopy, because your symptoms are a tad worrisome. It could be something that is NOT cancer, though! But it's always good to check.

As has been stated, the prep is worse than the actual procedure. It's a necessary evil.

Please let us know your results.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    tootsie1 said:

Hi. Bill.
    Hi, Bill.

I'm glad you're getting a colonoscopy, because your symptoms are a tad worrisome. It could be something that is NOT cancer, though! But it's always good to check.

As has been stated, the prep is worse than the actual procedure. It's a necessary evil.

Please let us know your results.

*hugs*
    Gail

Go Bill!!
    WoW, a 5 year kidney cancer survivor, good for you! that's a big milestone, I hope you have many years to come as well! It's nice to see you on the board here, welcome!

The worse thing like everyone said about the colonoscopy is the prep! Drinking that jug was horrible, be sure to just expect sitting on the throne for awhile, and bring a good book while you're there!

I was knocked out for my colonoscopy, so I didn't feel a thing, it was all over so fast it seemed, you'll be just fine!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
    Hugssss!
    ~Donna
  • wjm1961
    wjm1961 Member Posts: 11
    Shayenne said:

Go Bill!!
    WoW, a 5 year kidney cancer survivor, good for you! that's a big milestone, I hope you have many years to come as well! It's nice to see you on the board here, welcome!

The worse thing like everyone said about the colonoscopy is the prep! Drinking that jug was horrible, be sure to just expect sitting on the throne for awhile, and bring a good book while you're there!

I was knocked out for my colonoscopy, so I didn't feel a thing, it was all over so fast it seemed, you'll be just fine!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
    Hugssss!
    ~Donna

Thanks to All
    Good morning,

I just want to thank all of you for you kind words, well wishes and information. Thanks to everyone for keeping me in your prayers and I will be doing the same for all of you.

I am still waiting to get the appointment scheduled. Found out yesterday that my Dr's office never called to request the appointment. A few more days to think and worry!

I know that if I have to fight this battle that I will be able to do it especially with the love and support of my family and my extended family here at the CSN! I'm not so worried about the procedure itself, with all that I have been through these procedures, unfortunately are becoming a cake walk. It's always the results that have me on pins and needles! I am so nervous because I seem to have most of the classic symptoms that I have read about and I know in my mind that it could still be nothing but as you know you sometimes just can't let the worry go.

I will let everyone know when the procedure has been scheduled and will be sure to let you know the results! Please know that I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Bill
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator