I didn't know.

mommyof2kds
mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
When I met with my oncologist today, I had a few questions. I asked him, when will I get another scan done, will that determine if I am NED. Apparently, I was kinda considered NED after surgery because the tumor was removed, well only the casing of the tumor was left and the lymph nodes were killed by radiation. THerefore at that time there was no more cancer. A month ago I had a chest, pelvic and abdominal CT and all was clear, so I am NED and didn't even know it, how could I have not known... I wasn't told directly, thats why. I found out by asking.. By doc said that he will probley do more CT's 3 mths after chemo(jan) with contrast rather than a PET scan because it shows more in the abdomen that the PET scan does.. Does this sound right to any of you.. Thanks Petrina

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    awesome!
    Petrina,

That's awesome news!!!! I'm very happy for you- kick up your heels and celebrate the news you just found out!!

Lisa :)
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    woohoo NED!
    I am in the same situation, and wasn't told directly by docs but finally figured it out over time and by asking questions too. I'm having a PET with the CT to establish a new baseline. It's not considered absolutely necessary.
  • mommyof2kds
    lesvanb said:

woohoo NED!
    I am in the same situation, and wasn't told directly by docs but finally figured it out over time and by asking questions too. I'm having a PET with the CT to establish a new baseline. It's not considered absolutely necessary.

?scans
    are you finished your chemo Lesvanb? Just wondering when you are getting your scans done again? Thanks.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    WooHooo
    That is wonderful news to hear. Don't just wish that they would have told you so you could have celebrated earlier :) Time for you to do some celebrating.

Congratulations!

Kim
  • Hatshepsut
    Hatshepsut Member Posts: 336 Member

WooHooo
    That is wonderful news to hear. Don't just wish that they would have told you so you could have celebrated earlier :) Time for you to do some celebrating.

Congratulations!

Kim

Petrina:
    In your photo you

Petrina:

In your photo you already appear to have the tiara! Now what you need is champagne and a party to celebrate your good news.

Congratulations.

Hatshepsut
  • mommyof2kds

Petrina:
    In your photo you

Petrina:

In your photo you already appear to have the tiara! Now what you need is champagne and a party to celebrate your good news.

Congratulations.

Hatshepsut

HAHA waiting for the new yr
    HAHA waiting for the new yr to wear the tiara again.. will be welcomming 2010..
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Woohoo!
    Awesome! Hope you did the naked happy dance somewhere along the way to celebrate!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    scans and congrats!
    So glad for your good news. Different scans for different things, some do show up some things better than others. I get MRI for my liver lesion, that shows it up better than the PET or CT does right now, so the CT may be showing what your doctor is looking at the best.
    Best Wishes
    Pam
  • mommyof2kds
    PamPam2 said:

scans and congrats!
    So glad for your good news. Different scans for different things, some do show up some things better than others. I get MRI for my liver lesion, that shows it up better than the PET or CT does right now, so the CT may be showing what your doctor is looking at the best.
    Best Wishes
    Pam

Thanks guys, so weird
    Thanks guys, so weird though, like how could I not have clued into this till now.. I guess I figured that they would come out and say you are cancer free, they did say things like you are going to do great, thinkgs look good and in your favor etc... But not those big words NED. Feels good, now I feel like I can get through the rest of this better, it was an uplifting thing to hear. maybe this is a silly question also, but are you considered NED from the last scans you had or from the surgery when thet determined that they got all the cancer?