Breast Implants Saline or Silacone

dlr102369
dlr102369 Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! Well I am getting ready to have these tissue expanders removed next month and was just curious to what everyone thought about the options for implants.
I was leaning towards silacone but my doc. gave me the impression that he was leaning more towards saline.
Anyone have any input? I have to decide by Sept.

Thanks so much!
Debbie

Comments

• meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    i was wondering the same
    i was wondering the same thing, i also have to have my expanders removed. my doc said he would put in silicone, he did not give me choice. Also, are you have the surgery where they take muscle from your back? I had radiation and my doctor said that it may not work. I am so confused
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    meena1 said:

i was wondering the same
    i was wondering the same thing, i also have to have my expanders removed. my doc said he would put in silicone, he did not give me choice. Also, are you have the surgery where they take muscle from your back? I had radiation and my doctor said that it may not work. I am so confused

I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I don't really know. Just wanted to welcome you. Can your doctor put you in touch with women that have had either or? Then you can talk to them?

Good luck with your decision.
  • debragood1
    debragood1 Member Posts: 48
    Silicone
    Hi Dlr102369:

I took a class in reconstruction at Memorial Sloan Kettering before meeting with my plastic surgeon. I decided on silicone because it may be a bit softer than the silicone and also because saline can apparently cause rippling which doesn't happen with silicone. Apparently, the "gummy bear" implants are the best. They're made of a cohesive silicone gel and are supposedly the most advanced implant to date. They come in a teardrop shape (which is more natural). I also asked my doctor to let me feel both types at my last appt. and I prefer the way the gummy bear implants feel. I haven't had the exchange surgery because I have to wait until 8 weeks after chemo.

just my 2 cents. Good luck with whichever type you choose.

Deb
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Silicone
    Hi Dlr102369:

I took a class in reconstruction at Memorial Sloan Kettering before meeting with my plastic surgeon. I decided on silicone because it may be a bit softer than the silicone and also because saline can apparently cause rippling which doesn't happen with silicone. Apparently, the "gummy bear" implants are the best. They're made of a cohesive silicone gel and are supposedly the most advanced implant to date. They come in a teardrop shape (which is more natural). I also asked my doctor to let me feel both types at my last appt. and I prefer the way the gummy bear implants feel. I haven't had the exchange surgery because I have to wait until 8 weeks after chemo.

Deb

I had a lumpectomy
    I had a lumpectomy, but, what Deb posted I have read. Good post Deb! I am sure it will help a lot out! I have heard that the "gummy bear" implants are the best, very natural.

Hugs ♥Lex♥
  • meena1

Silicone
    Hi Dlr102369:

Deb

Deb, thank you for the info.
    Deb, thank you for the info. My doc said that he would be using silicone, i will ask him about the gummy bear implant
  • debragood1
    meena1 said:

Deb, thank you for the info.
    Deb, thank you for the info. My doc said that he would be using silicone, i will ask him about the gummy bear implant

!!!
    Party on, Meena. I'm getting my gummy bears on November 16. I can't wait!!!

Hugs,
    Deb
  • meena1

!!!
    Party on, Meena. I'm getting my gummy bears on November 16. I can't wait!!!

Hugs,
    Deb

I may have to wait until
    I may have to wait until January. I used up my leave a work. I can't wait to get this rock off my chest. Keep me informed,
  • jikaras
    jikaras Member Posts: 58
    Silicone
    I had silicone implants put in. Reasons are stated in other posts; it's more natural looking, they wear better, and they can stay in for 20years before they would have to get 'changed out'.

I was happy to get rid of the enhancers, they were bulkly and uncomforable.
  • dlr102369
    jikaras said:

Silicone
    I had silicone implants put in. Reasons are stated in other posts; it's more natural looking, they wear better, and they can stay in for 20years before they would have to get 'changed out'.

I was happy to get rid of the enhancers, they were bulkly and uncomforable.

Thank you all so very much.
    Thank you all so very much. I was leaning towards the silicone but I was a little hesitant because I also have multiple sclerosis an autoimune disorder and I know there was a lot of talk about silicone and autoimune....

Girls I will be SOOOO glad to get these rocks off for sure!!! They are like a weapon!

I was trying to wait until Nov. to have my surgery but he doesn't want to wait that long. I am training for a triathlon Sep. 12th kind of my way of saying this is not going to defeat me although sometimes ugh I sure do feel like it, and then in October I am turning 40 and will celebrate 20 years of marriage..... But looks like I will be having surgery the week after my race. I guess I will be glad to get through the next hurdle then have to talk about nipple reconstruction.....

Thank you all so much for your imput! I sure do appreciate your honesty.

Debbie
  • debragood1
    dlr102369 said:

Thank you all so very much.
    Thank you all so very much. I was leaning towards the silicone but I was a little hesitant because I also have multiple sclerosis an autoimune disorder and I know there was a lot of talk about silicone and autoimune....

Girls I will be SOOOO glad to get these rocks off for sure!!! They are like a weapon!

I was trying to wait until Nov. to have my surgery but he doesn't want to wait that long. I am training for a triathlon Sep. 12th kind of my way of saying this is not going to defeat me although sometimes ugh I sure do feel like it, and then in October I am turning 40 and will celebrate 20 years of marriage..... But looks like I will be having surgery the week after my race. I guess I will be glad to get through the next hurdle then have to talk about nipple reconstruction.....

Thank you all so much for your imput! I sure do appreciate your honesty.

Debbie

One More Comment from Me
    Hi again, Debbie:

I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. Not to sound snobby or anything, but I think it is one of the best cancer centerss in the world. The doctors there (I'm talking plastic surgeons) all say that research proves that silicone implants were not associated with auto-immune diseases and certain other complications. I hope this gives you some comfort.

Please keep us apprised. Best of luck!

Hugs,
    Deb
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077

One More Comment from Me
    Hi again, Debbie:

I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. Not to sound snobby or anything, but I think it is one of the best cancer centerss in the world. The doctors there (I'm talking plastic surgeons) all say that research proves that silicone implants were not associated with auto-immune diseases and certain other complications. I hope this gives you some comfort.

Please keep us apprised. Best of luck!

Hugs,
    Deb

Saline for me~~
    ~~mostly due to a couple reasons...I had a lat flap (back muscle) procedure so the implant would be covered by a muscle under the skin, so no worries about any rippling or what have you...and I felt more at ease with saline in my body "just in case" of a rupture or leak or what have you. Only one breast is/was effected so I look amazingly balanced and happy with my final results.
    I wish you the best in your decision.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072

Saline for me~~
    ~~mostly due to a couple reasons...I had a lat flap (back muscle) procedure so the implant would be covered by a muscle under the skin, so no worries about any rippling or what have you...and I felt more at ease with saline in my body "just in case" of a rupture or leak or what have you. Only one breast is/was effected so I look amazingly balanced and happy with my final results.
    I wish you the best in your decision.

I just can't
    I just can't go through any more surgery, I'll stick with my dog - toys from the dollar store.
    Good luck to all you brave souls
    Hugs jxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    What the difference between tissue expanders and
    Flaps ?? I only ask, because I will be hand a double mac'tmy within the next 3 weeks?

Thanks for any input.

Vicki9
  • jdw211
    jdw211 Member Posts: 2
    VickiSam said:

Flaps ?? I only ask, because I will be hand a double mac'tmy within the next 3 weeks?

Thanks for any input.

Vicki9

It's very important to get a plastic surgery consult prior to the mastectomy (or lumpectomy, too). I requested one as part of my information gathering after my lumpectomy failed to get clean enough margins around the tumor, and learned so much, as I tried to decide between a second lumpectomy with radiation, or a mastectomy. The oncology surgeon is (appropriately) only interested in medical outcomes, not aesthetics or quality of life issues, so he/she does not tell you that different procedures can limit your reconstruction options. The flaps use your own body tissue (tummy, back muscle, or butt), while tissue expanders go under the pectoral muscle and stretch the skin and muscle in preparation for the implant (silicone or saline).
  • dlr102369
    VickiSam said:

Thanks for any input.

Vicki9

Vicki- Well the flaps were
    Vicki- Well the flaps were not an option for me b/c I did not have enough tissue to create breasts so I went with the bilateral mastectomy with the expanders placed under the muscle. The do the mastectomy and place the expanders at the same time then after the incision heals about 4-6 weeks they start expanding by injecting saline through your skin in your breast into a port on the expander. Each week I went and little by little the skin stretched so now I am able to take out the expanders and have implants put in. The expanders are basically used to stretch the skin. My friend was able to have the flaps and I believe was in the hopsital a week. You use your own tissue to create your breasts.

Here is my blog I started when I was diagnosed I put some pictures and stories about each day from diagnosis.

http://mybcajourney.blogspot.com/

Hope this is helpful!
    Debbie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    dlr102369 said:

Vicki- Well the flaps were
    Vicki- Well the flaps were not an option for me b/c I did not have enough tissue to create breasts so I went with the bilateral mastectomy with the expanders placed under the muscle. The do the mastectomy and place the expanders at the same time then after the incision heals about 4-6 weeks they start expanding by injecting saline through your skin in your breast into a port on the expander. Each week I went and little by little the skin stretched so now I am able to take out the expanders and have implants put in. The expanders are basically used to stretch the skin. My friend was able to have the flaps and I believe was in the hopsital a week. You use your own tissue to create your breasts.

Here is my blog I started when I was diagnosed I put some pictures and stories about each day from diagnosis.

http://mybcajourney.blogspot.com/

Hope this is helpful!
    Debbie

This helps a great deal! Thank you for sharing
    Debbie,

I will continue to watch you via ...site.

Best wishes,

VickiSam
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    VickiSam said:

This helps a great deal! Thank you for sharing
    Debbie,

I will continue to watch you via ...site.

Best wishes,

VickiSam

My foobs...
    I had my dbl. mastectomy in May and they put silicone implants in at the same time -- no expanders.

The skin was stretched out enough, because I was actually going to a smaller size, but the muscle had to stretch from ground zero. The "foobs" were very tight and uncomfortable for a long time, but lately they have started to feel less so. To my husband they feel great --very natural (I'm glad he's happy, I guess...). To others, in clothes, they look great. To me they're still numb and pretty weird. Weird because with the muscles on the top, I can make them "dance" one at a time with a little pec-control...great as a party gag...kind of disconcerting when it happens and I'm not trying to make them move!!

So all things considered,they're fine. Remember: it's reconstruction, not enhancement.

I am still struggling with whether or not to do the nipple reconstruction/tatoo thing.

Hugs,
    Debi
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    bfbear said:

My foobs...
    I had my dbl. mastectomy in May and they put silicone implants in at the same time -- no expanders.

The skin was stretched out enough, because I was actually going to a smaller size, but the muscle had to stretch from ground zero. The "foobs" were very tight and uncomfortable for a long time, but lately they have started to feel less so. To my husband they feel great --very natural (I'm glad he's happy, I guess...). To others, in clothes, they look great. To me they're still numb and pretty weird. Weird because with the muscles on the top, I can make them "dance" one at a time with a little pec-control...great as a party gag...kind of disconcerting when it happens and I'm not trying to make them move!!

So all things considered,they're fine. Remember: it's reconstruction, not enhancement.

I am still struggling with whether or not to do the nipple reconstruction/tatoo thing.

Hugs,
    Debi

I hope that all of your
    I hope that all of your reconstrucions work out for you and that you will all be very happy with the results, once you have healed. It just takes time, right?

Sue :)