male breast cancer

suzyleggett
suzyleggett Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My husband was diagnosed with stage 2 grade 3 HER2 positive breast cancer. He has had the modified radical mastectomy with 90% of lymph nodes removed, all being negative. He has calcification on his right heart valve, A fib, is 200 lbs overweight. He is blind in one eye, has had 3 strokes (light) and now they want to give chemo and herceptin treatments...both of which are very hard on the heart. I wonder if any of you have had the same stage/grade cancer..with mastectomy, and what your oncologist recommended...we are set for 2nd opinion in 2 weeks....thanks so much for any help!

Comments

• Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Hi Susie and welcome
    So sorry to hear about your husband. I am not able to help you, but I am sure someone will be along that may be able to. I do know before they do chemo, they do something called a "muga" scan. I'm sure his Doctor's will take into consideration ALL his health issues and decide what is the best treatment for him. I'm sure they will use all the precautions neccessary. Your are doing a wise thing by getting a second opinion. Hang in there, it will work out. :O) Pammy
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Suzy......
    Welcome to the board.

I was dx'd with stage IIIa bc. Her-2 positive. I had mastectomy.

I had A/C chemo, Abraxane and Herceptin. I am still getting Herceptin until late Fall.

I also did 28 rounds of rads.

They did a MUGA scan on my heart before I started chemo, and have done another since. I am guessing they will do another when I finish Herceptin.
    Many others here have had EKGs done during chemo.

It's a choice for you and your husband to make, of course, but if you trust your team of doctors, I would go with their recommendation.
    I know that the odds of surviving this type bc WITHOUT chemo drops dramatically...

CR
  • cathlinberreth01
    cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
    similar type
    Hello!

I have stage 2B moderately aggressive HER2 positive breast cancer diagnosed this June. A 3cm tumor and a smaller satellite tumor. I was positive in 2 of 5 nodes and will have a bilateral mastectomy in October. I am doing chemotherapy first for different reasons.

I don't know what kind of chemotherapy is ordered. When I had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (14 years ago I had cancer-this is my second time around), I had CHOP, which includes adriamycin. A lot of breast cancer chemotherapy involves adriamycin. I have cardiomyopathy from that-decreased heart function. I have a healthy heart besides THAT. It is not enlarged, valves all work fine, wonderful cholesterol levels and such. My heart is just weak.

Because I had my maximum lifetime dose of adriamycin last time, I am on taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin (every 3 weeks) and then herceptin every week.

I had a MUGA scan, and echocardiogram and am on Coreg. My blood pressure runs low 98/58? and beats fast (100 bpm). I get out of breath easy. I will have another echocardiogram this week before my second chemotherapy treatment.

I have yet to see if Herceptin will add to the heart damage. I have my fingers crossed and am doing my best to think positive.

If my heart gets weak enough, they said they will put in a defibrillator. But I still have a ways to go before it gets that bad.

I hope this information helps!

I hope this helps!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Sorry about your husband
    Sorry about your husband Suzy. I can't relate to any of what he has, but, you just have to trust in your team of doctors. They know his phyical condition and will set the best plan of treatment.

And, I always think a second opinion is good, for anyone.

Good luck!

☺Lex☺
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Suzy, as others have said,
    Suzy, as others have said, if they are considering giving your husband chemo drugs that are hard on the heart such as adriamycin and herceptin, they will do tests on his heart that will enable them to assess whether or not he will be able to withstand the treatments. If they don't think that his heart can tolerate those treatments, then there are other options. I think that her2 really does require herceptin, but they could give him something to substitute for the adriamycin so that he won't be getting 2 drugs that are both tough on his heart. See what his oncologist says and if you are still skeptical, then you should get a second opinion for peace of mind. Good luck. Eil
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Eil4186 said:

Suzy, as others have said,
    Suzy, as others have said, if they are considering giving your husband chemo drugs that are hard on the heart such as adriamycin and herceptin, they will do tests on his heart that will enable them to assess whether or not he will be able to withstand the treatments. If they don't think that his heart can tolerate those treatments, then there are other options. I think that her2 really does require herceptin, but they could give him something to substitute for the adriamycin so that he won't be getting 2 drugs that are both tough on his heart. See what his oncologist says and if you are still skeptical, then you should get a second opinion for peace of mind. Good luck. Eil

They will give your husband
    They will give your husband tests to make sure his heart can take the chemo. They always do. You need to talk to his oncologist and go over all of this with him, to know, and, to ease your mind.

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    DianeBC said:

They will give your husband
    They will give your husband tests to make sure his heart can take the chemo. They always do. You need to talk to his oncologist and go over all of this with him, to know, and, to ease your mind.

Hugs, Diane ♥

Just want to say hi Suzy and
    Just want to say hi Suzy and welcome!

I am so sorry about your husband.

I hope someone here can offer you good advice.

♥ Kylez ♥
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Male Breast Cancer
    Suzy,
    I am a man who had Stage 3A,Estrogen-Positive,5cm.tumor and 6 of 23 lymph nodes were positive. I weighed 350 lbs. when I was diagnosed. I had a radical mastectomy in September 2007. Four treatments of Chemotharpy, three weeks apart,of Taxoter and Cytoxin because I had a Stent put in August 2007. Then 7 weeks of Radiation(Mon. thru Fri.)in February 2008. I then started taking Tamoxifen in April 2008 for the next 5 years.

Like the other ladies have said here, his Doctors will do plenty of tests to see just what he can take and for how long. I did not have any trouble with the surgery and I gained 25 lbs. on chemo. I did burn and peel the last couple of weeks of radiation, though. But everyone is different when it comes to chemo and radiation.

Hope that his second opinion helps with your discisions on the best type of treatments.
    I'll be glad to help your husband with anything he needs to talk about or whatever.

Sincerely, Robert
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188

Male Breast Cancer
    Suzy,
    I am a man who had Stage 3A,Estrogen-Positive,5cm.tumor and 6 of 23 lymph nodes were positive. I weighed 350 lbs. when I was diagnosed. I had a radical mastectomy in September 2007. Four treatments of Chemotharpy, three weeks apart,of Taxoter and Cytoxin because I had a Stent put in August 2007. Then 7 weeks of Radiation(Mon. thru Fri.)in February 2008. I then started taking Tamoxifen in April 2008 for the next 5 years.

Like the other ladies have said here, his Doctors will do plenty of tests to see just what he can take and for how long. I did not have any trouble with the surgery and I gained 25 lbs. on chemo. I did burn and peel the last couple of weeks of radiation, though. But everyone is different when it comes to chemo and radiation.

Hope that his second opinion helps with your discisions on the best type of treatments.
    I'll be glad to help your husband with anything he needs to talk about or whatever.

Sincerely, Robert

Hey Robert
    Good to see you posting and seems like your hanging in there! Stop by and say "hello" every now & then (smiles). Pammy
  • ManWithaMission
    ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
    Akiss4me said:

Hey Robert
    Good to see you posting and seems like your hanging in there! Stop by and say "hello" every now & then (smiles). Pammy

Hey Pammy
    Nice to meet you. I used to come here all the time when I first found this site. Wasn't very good in the chat room cause I couldn't type very fast.(Hunt & peck with two fingers.)
    Then found a Male Breast Cancer site. Most of the guys on there died 10yrs. after their diagnoise. Have been kinda depressed since then and can't seem to shake it.

I guess that's because "IT" was found too late for them, sometimes wonder how "SOON" they found mine?(Had this lump there since I was a teenager,started the size of a pea - grew as I grew till size of golf ball.)

Don't post much now 'cause I feel kinda "useless". Don't know what you women feel or what you have gone through after a mascetomy. Thanks.

Robert

P.S. How do you get one of those little people figures after your username?
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670

Hey Pammy
    Nice to meet you. I used to come here all the time when I first found this site. Wasn't very good in the chat room cause I couldn't type very fast.(Hunt & peck with two fingers.)
    Then found a Male Breast Cancer site. Most of the guys on there died 10yrs. after their diagnoise. Have been kinda depressed since then and can't seem to shake it.

I guess that's because "IT" was found too late for them, sometimes wonder how "SOON" they found mine?(Had this lump there since I was a teenager,started the size of a pea - grew as I grew till size of golf ball.)

Don't post much now 'cause I feel kinda "useless". Don't know what you women feel or what you have gone through after a mascetomy. Thanks.

Robert

Robert,
    good to see you again.
    You don't see a little 'people' by your name because that is our signal to 'friend' you and you can't friend yourself. Don't know why, seems like we should be able to be our own best friend if we want....lol
    Don't ever hesitate to post. You have as much to offer as any of us do.
    God bless.
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Your husband and breast cancer
    Hi Suzy, A little birdie told me that there was a post in August about another man with BC.
    How is he doing now ??????
    I had a modified radical mastectomy / removed 7 lymph nodes-- all neg. Tested triple positive--- went through chemo and herceptin and now consider myself to be cancer free.
    (at least this week).
    I'm not overweight and have had no strokes or other major problems so now that it is all over with I consider my self lucky.
    If I can get over the depression I'm stuck in life will be great!
    Tell me how your husband is doing.
    Bill S
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177

Hey Pammy

Robert

Guys with BC
    Hi Robert, Haven't run into you before. How are you doing with the BC ?
    What is the other Male Breast Cancer site you mentioned?
    I too am in a depression and sort of agree that it is harder for a man to understand how the ladies feel.
    Say Hi sometime
    Bill S
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757

Hey Pammy

Robert

Nice to See Ya
    Nice to see ya, Robert. I am glad to see more men posting to the site. I know we, women may not be able to relate to everything a man goes through but we can listen. And by the way, you are not useless. Keep posting.

Pat