Onset of side-effects with FOLFOX

zigswife
zigswife Member Posts: 61
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, we started chemo on Wednesday (by we, I mean my husband started chemo and I watched). Whoever approved him to start earlier (our onc is on vacation) said to wait on the Avastin until the next round because they took his drain out last week (for abscess after colectomy). Wasn't too thrilled about that but was so relieved to start the chemo...

Anyway, no side effects so far. I was wondering for those who had side effects on FOLFOX, when they started showing up. I'm trying to be ready but not harp on what may not appear. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    I had one nurse describe it
    I had one nurse describe it as being everything would be fine until the pump was dc'd, then all h*ll would break loose.

Overall I tended to have my best days for several days after chemo and then that weekend would start to feel like crap.

Actually other than being a bit tired, I had no side effects after treatment #1- I think I was more anxious than anything. It was the blood workup right before treatment #2 that postponed treatment for a week and then I was in the hospital for a blood infection that night.

They do say to stay on top of it right from the getgo- take the anti-nausea meds before those symptoms hit.
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Patteee said:

I had one nurse describe it
    I had one nurse describe it as being everything would be fine until the pump was dc'd, then all h*ll would break loose.

Overall I tended to have my best days for several days after chemo and then that weekend would start to feel like crap.

Actually other than being a bit tired, I had no side effects after treatment #1- I think I was more anxious than anything. It was the blood workup right before treatment #2 that postponed treatment for a week and then I was in the hospital for a blood infection that night.

They do say to stay on top of it right from the getgo- take the anti-nausea meds before those symptoms hit.

The worse side effect I
    The worse side effect I suffered was fatigue, so of course sleep fixed that. Not easy at times with 2 little kids, but utilized lots of babysitters. Husband has to work when he can, we need some income. The nausea wasn't too bad, just took the meds. I have a ileostomy so I have to watch for water loss, I have alot of water loss(diarrhea) the first few days and have to keep taking immodium. I am now on the 48hr 5FU. Before surgery I was on the 5 day infusion and that took more of a toll on me. What treatment plan is your hubby on..
  • zigswife

The worse side effect I
    The worse side effect I suffered was fatigue, so of course sleep fixed that. Not easy at times with 2 little kids, but utilized lots of babysitters. Husband has to work when he can, we need some income. The nausea wasn't too bad, just took the meds. I have a ileostomy so I have to watch for water loss, I have alot of water loss(diarrhea) the first few days and have to keep taking immodium. I am now on the 48hr 5FU. Before surgery I was on the 5 day infusion and that took more of a toll on me. What treatment plan is your hubby on..

He does the treatment in the
    He does the treatment in the office and then the 48 hour pump. He was disconnected today and seems to be feeling pretty good (tired, but he's been tired a lot anyway and turns out he was anemic so have started iron supplements). I feel like I'm watching and waiting for the pot to boil and I'm sure he'd like me to stop asking how he's feeling every hour!
  • zigswife

The worse side effect I

Also meant to ask, you were
    Also meant to ask, you were able to still stay home with the kids with help? My husband is a stay at home dad but we have a 2 and a half year old and 7 month old twins so they are quite a handful. We have had no idea how to plan on when and how much help he will need...
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Side effects
    Hi, My husband is on folfox + Avastin. He has done pretty good.He had a reaction to the OXY on his 7th treatment and again on his 8th so they took that out of the mix. He has his treatments on Wednesday's and does pretty good until the weekend and then is very tired until about Tues.. He had mouth sores once but not again. He will have #12 next Wed. and then a scan and I hope a bit of a rest. Good luck Paula G.
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Folfox Side Effects
    I have had 4 Folfox treatments. I was given Ativan medication for nausea, sleep, and anxiety. It really helps calm me and lets me sleep. I have had light nausea and sensitivity to cold drinks. I drink mine at room temp for a few days after disconnect. Lately, I have been breaking out in a Rash with itching. I do not know if that is Folfox or the Clinical Trial Drug, Alpha Lipoic Acid which I am taking. I get red splotches on my face which appear and disappear without warning. You are great to ask how he is doing. I know he appreciates you. He will definitely let you know if he is having symptoms which are bothering him.
    ------------Keep the oncologist's number handy and the anti-nausea meds - just in case needed. He will need plenty of liquids so not to get dehydrated - so push the liquids. Saltines are a good standby to have on hand for nausea. Applesauce, pudding, soup, canned fruit cocktail are good staples too. Juicing is highly recommended on this site and I believe in the power of the juice too! Keep us posted on how he is doing.
  • valorb
    valorb Member Posts: 1
    Paula G. said:

Side effects
    Hi, My husband is on folfox + Avastin. He has done pretty good.He had a reaction to the OXY on his 7th treatment and again on his 8th so they took that out of the mix. He has his treatments on Wednesday's and does pretty good until the weekend and then is very tired until about Tues.. He had mouth sores once but not again. He will have #12 next Wed. and then a scan and I hope a bit of a rest. Good luck Paula G.

side effects
    I just joined the network and read the above-I noticed that you sent this in 2009. What has transpired since then. I hope this is not a sensitive question.