How long does this last!??? Neulasta

Options
rodripa9
rodripa9 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi ladies! Well it's been 7 days since my sister's first chemo and 5 days since she got that awful Neulasta shot. She was doing great until about 8 hours after she got that shot. Then it hit her! Not even 3 Tylenol extra strength has been helping! She started taking 1/2 a Vicadin to sleep through the night! I'm concerned, she told her doctor about the pain and they just prescribed more Vicadin! She also tried to talk to him about giving her a note for days off of work. You know, so for the next treatment she'll take about 6 days off until she's 100%. She's a bus driver and works 10 hour shifts with little breaks in between, she's by all kinds of people during the day. I don't think with her immune system compromised it's a good idea until she feels 100%. Plus if hes going to have her on Vicadin don't you guys think it would be wise that she NOT drive a 40 ft. bus filled with passengers. Does this guy not realize what she does for a living. He wrote a note to allow her TWO days off of work! As I write this I'm getting more aggravated. She seems to be doing better today. But everything as a whole is bothering me. HELP

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Hi Rodripa9, First let me
    Hi Rodripa9, First let me say I worked for a Bus company as well. It is against the law to drive under the influence. The bus company can not fire her for having to take a leave. Know that if she has an accident on this bus, yes the company will be at fault ( if she can prove she told them ) but she and only your sister will get the ticket and God for bid this is a bad accident, she could be punished under the law. She is the only one responsible for her actions under the law. So sorry she is having all this pain. Have no answers for you on that. Your a great sister. Love to hear from you
    Kathy
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    She can use FMLA
    Well, if she has been with the company for 1 year and they employ at least 25 employees, then she can file for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) and take the time off she needs. This is a Federal Act and will allow her 12 weeks leave per year without pay (She can use accumulated sick pay, vacation or income insurance if she has it). She can take them 1 week at a time or 1 day at a time, however she wants. They must hold her job for her return. She does need a doctor to fill out the paper work. She needs to talk to her Human Resource Department about it. I would ask one of her other Doctors to fill out the paperwork other than the one that only gave her two days off. :(-) Pammy
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    Options
    neulasta
    I hope she is feeling better! For me so far, the effects of the Neulasta began the day of the shot which was a Tuesday and lasted through the weekend. I realize everyone is different, but I can not imagine having to drive at all feeling the way I did. Did she use the Aleve and Claritin? I was told to begin taking them the day before and continue through the week. I was also prescribed Vicadin. I hope she can get FMLA and maybe short term disability.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    rodripa......
    I suffered the bone pain and aches from the Neulasta injection. Pain pills didn't help much, so my onc put me on steroids for 5 days after each injection, and it did help. Maybe she could ask her onc if she could try that and see if it helps.

Hugs,

CR
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

rodripa......
    I suffered the bone pain and aches from the Neulasta injection. Pain pills didn't help much, so my onc put me on steroids for 5 days after each injection, and it did help. Maybe she could ask her onc if she could try that and see if it helps.

Hugs,

CR

Hope she is feeling better!

Hope she is feeling better!
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Options
    The Shot
    I hate those shots too. They give me a fever, flu-like symptoms, and a lot of pain in my legs and back. Nothing seems to help.

My second shot, the Onc had me take Claritin. It has helped some. I still have the fever and pain.

I think the doctor needs to provide an excuse for what you need, or until you are better, not when he thinks the symptoms should subside. This shot sometimes does not effect people and then sometimes it puts them in the hospital.

And let me know what bus she is driving while on vicodin so I can steer clear. :) This doc is starting to piss me off.

P
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Can she have her doctor say
    Can she have her doctor say that at this time, she can't work? This does seem very dangerous. Can you talk to her doctor? I would hate to see what could happen.

I don't think she should be out driving a bus.

Can't you find one of her other doctors that will write saying she cannot work now?

That is just too dangerous.

Please post and let us know.

Hugs,

Kylez
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    aztec45 said:

The Shot
    I hate those shots too. They give me a fever, flu-like symptoms, and a lot of pain in my legs and back. Nothing seems to help.

My second shot, the Onc had me take Claritin. It has helped some. I still have the fever and pain.

I think the doctor needs to provide an excuse for what you need, or until you are better, not when he thinks the symptoms should subside. This shot sometimes does not effect people and then sometimes it puts them in the hospital.

And let me know what bus she is driving while on vicodin so I can steer clear. :) This doc is starting to piss me off.

P

I hope your sister is
    I hope your sister is feeling better. But, I don't think she should be driving, let alone a bus.

Susie
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    susie09 said:

I hope your sister is
    I hope your sister is feeling better. But, I don't think she should be driving, let alone a bus.

Susie

Ask
    Ask her oncologist about Claritin--It worked for me and that is what my oncologist suggested because extra strength Tylenol was not working for me. I don't know what is in Claritin but it does work for the pain with not only Neulasta shots but now that I am done the A/C part and Taxol w/Herceptin I continue to take it. If I went a few days without it my body would start aching and then I would start taking it again and I would be fine.

It isn't a good idea for her to drive a bus when on that type of medication--her dr needs to know what type of work she does so he/she can give or suggest something else.

Always ask the dr first before starting any medicine.

Wishing your sister the best.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    Options
    neulasta
    I tried the claritin trick the last time I had neulasta and it helped a lot! I took a pill in the am before I went for my shot. I still had VERY light pain in my hips the next day, but nothing like the first shot! I had so much pain in my hips and legs I needed help to get out of the bathroom!!! I had to ask my 14yr old daughter! She was MORTIFIED!!!!It's worth a try!!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mberg said:

neulasta
    I tried the claritin trick the last time I had neulasta and it helped a lot! I took a pill in the am before I went for my shot. I still had VERY light pain in my hips the next day, but nothing like the first shot! I had so much pain in my hips and legs I needed help to get out of the bathroom!!! I had to ask my 14yr old daughter! She was MORTIFIED!!!!It's worth a try!!

Are you doing any better now
    Are you doing any better now Mberg?
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    NEULASTA INJECTION
    I had incredible pain and muscle spasms after my first injection, but the last 2 have been much, much better......nothing at all like the first one! No one told me what to expect, other than some deep bone pain.........I let them have it too for not informing me of just how BAD it could be.......I was then given Vicadin and a muscle relaxant (which I haven't needed since). The trick is to take the Vicadin BEFORE the pain takes hold and take it regularly, if not driving. Then to add insult to injury........that injection costs almost $6,000.00!!! But it has done it's job and kept me infection free, and I am thankful it exists!
  • mberg
    mberg Member Posts: 62
    Options
    yes much better thanks! i
    yes much better thanks! i went for my herceptin today, just feeling a little tired now. I have herceptin every weds and what i call BIG CHEMO every three weeks. they give me benadryl with every treatment now and really od me on the steroids to keep me from having another reaction to the taxotere. the onco says that the meds are really shrinking my nasty tumors down!!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mberg said:

yes much better thanks! i
    yes much better thanks! i went for my herceptin today, just feeling a little tired now. I have herceptin every weds and what i call BIG CHEMO every three weeks. they give me benadryl with every treatment now and really od me on the steroids to keep me from having another reaction to the taxotere. the onco says that the meds are really shrinking my nasty tumors down!!

That is great news that the
    That is great news that the meds are shrinking your tumors! So glad that you are doing better Mberg!

Hugs!