Aspirin for crc

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
The study says taking aspirin decreases your chance of dying from colon cancer 30%. I read the results of the study and I'm not convinced of everything it says, but even a 1% would saves thousands of lives. aspirin absolutely kills my stomach, but I'm gonna give some a try.

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    I'm not surprised, John
    My

I'm not surprised, John

My Dad took 81mg aspirin every day and it helped limit the amount of polyps that grew in his colon. It would keep them somewhat limited and small, but when they were taken out, they were all pre-cancerous. So, there could be a real tie-in there.

My dad had a stroke, which was due in part, to taking aspirin, perhaps at his age. It had thinned his blood allowing the TIA to occur.

He just got his last colonoscopy this year at 80 - doctors don't want to do anymore. He tells me he started up the aspirin again, so we'll see.

-Craig
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Onc agrees
    My oncologist said once I'm finished with chemo, to add one aspirin a day to my calcium and Vitamin D3.
  • zigswife
    zigswife Member Posts: 61

Onc agrees
    My oncologist said once I'm finished with chemo, to add one aspirin a day to my calcium and Vitamin D3.

My mom just called me about
    My mom just called me about this study. Did your onc say that you shouldn't take the aspirin during chemo? We are starting chemo tomorrow but I don't think we'll be seeing the onc- apparently all the doctors in our town decided to take the month off for vacation!
  • Mike49
    Mike49 Member Posts: 261
    I am going to take an asprin a day
    I read this this afternoon at work and I reached in my desk and took out an asprin.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Hi
    Hi,
    Dr. Lenz, USC, told **** to start taking an aspirin a day after his chemo. This was back in January 2009. I have not seen the article so it may be more current. You can read his view on the C3 blog.
    Kathleen
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Kills your stomach?
    From a 2006 article: "The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force calculated that there would be 2 to 4 major gastrointestinal bleeds and 0 to 2 hemorrhagic strokes per 1,000 individuals followed for 5 years among individuals taking low-dose aspirin." (Aspirin Should Not Be Promoted for Colon Cancer Prevention: Counterpoint>.)

--Greg
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Aspirin
    Aspirin is one of those miracle drugs that has many uses. It also has to be used in moderation and not every condition can be helped by it. It was known for a long time that it can cause stomach problems. It is also used as a blood thinner so it may not be good if you are on chemo or before surgery.
    To most every positive finding that comes out about everything, there are negative findings to dispute it. You just have to sort through it all.
    Good luck with it John,
    -p
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Zigswife and aspirin
    Aspirin kills (?) platelets and so does chemo. No aspirin during chemo if you want to stay on schedule!

I'll start my aspirin on August 24th. Today is my Final Chemo (FOLFOX) and I asked for a CBC after two weeks because I have a dental cleaning scheduled right after that. I sure don't want that Edward Scissorhands Dental Hygienist we use to cause an infection!
  • zigswife
    zigswife Member Posts: 61

Zigswife and aspirin
    Aspirin kills (?) platelets and so does chemo. No aspirin during chemo if you want to stay on schedule!

I'll start my aspirin on August 24th. Today is my Final Chemo (FOLFOX) and I asked for a CBC after two weeks because I have a dental cleaning scheduled right after that. I sure don't want that Edward Scissorhands Dental Hygienist we use to cause an infection!

Thanks Diane!
    I'll talk to

Thanks Diane!
    I'll talk to the onc after he (and the rest of the doctors in our town) come back from vacation but will plan on waiting until chemo is over.