New Breast Cancer Diagnsis - Opinions Appreciated

Options
sweetgeorgia
sweetgeorgia Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello - I am new to this diagnosis and confused about my options. I too, after reviewing a lot of posts and replies, think this is a wonderful support group and look forward to getting through this with you. After a biopsy of 3 different areas on right breast, I was diagnosed with extensive DCIS in an area that is multi-foci with micro invasion. There is a 2nd biopsied spot in another quadrant that was not identified as malignant, but it is a major area of concern for the radiologist/surgeon and it has to come out. My surgeon says I am a candidate for a lumpectomy w/radiation but is concerned about my rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The radiation oncologist is not concerned about the RA, but more concerned about the 2nd area and that targeted radiation on the DCIS may not cover the 2nd area of abnormal tissue if it turns out to be malignant. I am leaning toward a simple mastectomy with reconstruction since it will provide for a much less chance of recurrence. Do others agree with that approach or does anyone think that the lumpectomy might still be a good option if I am all about breast conservation? I know it is up to me and my doctor and therefore, I am seeking support and opinions. Sincerely appreciated, Confused Sweetgeorgia :-)

Comments

• taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Sweetgeorgia,
    First let me

Sweetgeorgia,

First let me say welcome to this site, though I am so sorry for the reason you are here... you will find a wealth of support, encouragement, information from various personal experiences, and did I say support.

The choices that we must make are such personal ones, and everyone has their own personal reasons for the choices that they make.. I was dx'd in May, IDC opted for a lumpectomy and whatever was suggested by my onco... well to make a long story short, I had lumpectomy June 9th, treatment has been up in the air (another long boring story).. and now Monday will have another biopsy that may very well change everything once again... that is my story...

You will find so many stories, and the wonderful people on this site will be here to share with you their own personal journey stories soon..

Welcome... and hugs to you..

~T
  • mlmjt1
    mlmjt1 Member Posts: 537
    Options
    Hi georgia
    You sound just like me...3 different areas in the right breast with very small areas in another quadrant. I went for bilateral mastectomy since I have been tortured by fibrocystic breast disease my whole life and didnt want to think about it anymore. I am currently on my 3rd round of chemo with 5 more to go...

I dont regret the surgeries but did have complications on the right side so reconstruction will have to wait until sometime next year.

All in all breast cancer is not something I would wish on my worst enemy but you have come to the right place for support.

You need to do what your gut tells you to do...Its a personal choice...I never considered any other options

Take care

Linda T
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Sweetgeorgia........
    Hello and welcome!

You kind of hit the nail on the head, regarding much advice about what to do. It is and has to be a very personal choice. But I'm sure that you will hear from others who have had about the same dx, and what they chose to do.

Big hugs,

CR
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Sweetgeorgia........
    Hello and welcome!

You kind of hit the nail on the head, regarding much advice about what to do. It is and has to be a very personal choice. But I'm sure that you will hear from others who have had about the same dx, and what they chose to do.

Big hugs,

CR

Just want to welcome you. I
    Just want to welcome you. I would suggest you talk this over with your oncologist and if you want, get a second opinion. You seem to have a lot to deal with.

There is so much support and encouragement on this site.

I am so glad that you found us!

Good luck to you!

Hugs, Noel
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    sweetgeorgia
    This is a wonderful support group, with the most amazing sisters you will find anywhere. I am so glad you found us.
    I chose a mastectomy and was glad I did after they found 6 poitive lymph nodes. It is a very personal opinion. I just talked to a friend of mine this morning who had a lumpectomy done, and now has to go back and get a mastectomy since they found another cancer in a different part of the breast. She had to do another biopsy etc, and wishes she would have just done it in the first place. But who is to know what else they will find or what the results will be. Whatever you choose, we will be here for you. Keep us posted.
    P.S. I love your name, my mom's name was Georgia..and she was oh so sweet.
    Hugs, jackie
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    rjjj said:

sweetgeorgia
    This is a wonderful support group, with the most amazing sisters you will find anywhere. I am so glad you found us.
    I chose a mastectomy and was glad I did after they found 6 poitive lymph nodes. It is a very personal opinion. I just talked to a friend of mine this morning who had a lumpectomy done, and now has to go back and get a mastectomy since they found another cancer in a different part of the breast. She had to do another biopsy etc, and wishes she would have just done it in the first place. But who is to know what else they will find or what the results will be. Whatever you choose, we will be here for you. Keep us posted.
    P.S. I love your name, my mom's name was Georgia..and she was oh so sweet.
    Hugs, jackie

Welcome sweetgeorgia! I had
    Welcome sweetgeorgia! I had a lumpectomy with rad treatments. I feel lucky that is all I had to have. All of the treatments are hard, none are easy for anyone.

Good luck to you!

Susie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    Chiming in...
    I want to say welcome also! Hmmm...your situation is rather different than mine. I opted for a lumpectomy with radiation. But if I had 3 areas in my breast, I would have, beyond a doubt, went with the matectomy. As you can see, we all have a variation of the same disease with just as many treatments to go with them. It really is a personal decision made with your Doc's recommendation in mind. Hope you are able to decide soon. Decisions always drive me crazy!! :(-) Pammy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, sweetgeorgia
    Your confusion is understandable. The decisions we make are difficult and complicated. Do you know your risk of recurrence percentages, one way versus the other, regarding the two surgery options? If they're vastly different - I'd guess your decision is easier. Since your radiation oncologist is concerned that the treatment might not cover a "suspicious" area... Well, that would speak volumes to me. The fact that you're being treated by a team - both surgeon and rad onc involved at this time - is great, the most modern approach. If you think you need more info in order to feel comfortable in choosing, please don't hesitate to consult further with your doctors.

Your decision is very personal. Only you can make it for yourself.

Best wishes to you.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Welcome, sweetgeorgia
    Your confusion is understandable. The decisions we make are difficult and complicated. Do you know your risk of recurrence percentages, one way versus the other, regarding the two surgery options? If they're vastly different - I'd guess your decision is easier. Since your radiation oncologist is concerned that the treatment might not cover a "suspicious" area... Well, that would speak volumes to me. The fact that you're being treated by a team - both surgeon and rad onc involved at this time - is great, the most modern approach. If you think you need more info in order to feel comfortable in choosing, please don't hesitate to consult further with your doctors.

Your decision is very personal. Only you can make it for yourself.

Best wishes to you.

Hi sweetgeorgia! Just make
    Hi sweetgeorgia! Just make your own decision after hearing all of the facts.

Welcome to the site and good luck!
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    welcome sweetgeorgia
    Sounds like you will need to get more information before you can make a decision. Talk with the doc, make notes, ask questions, especially about recurrence, then you can have all the facts and be happy with your final decision.
    I did go in for a lumpectomy, but ended up with a partial mastectomy, and do not regret my decision. That will always be a factor, so no matter which way you choose, we will be here for you.
    Let us know when you get more information and come back often!
    Cat
  • cathlinberreth01
    cathlinberreth01 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    opinion
    Usually if the cancer is in more than one spot, they recommend mastectomy. Your multi-foci sounds like a good candidate for that.

Also if it is quite spread out, your lumpectomy results may not look good.

If I were in your shoes, I would do mastectomy. I would do BRCA genetic analysis FIRST.