How long.........

Options
seanslove
seanslove Member Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
Can anyone one on Folfox 6,during their first round,tell me what is the average amount of time to go without being able to eat? My husband still after DC on Thuresday si not able to eat more than a bite or two of food a day.

Comments

• SonSon
    SonSon Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Liquid nutrition
    I am not familiar with the medicine you mention. I wonder if you can try to have him drink some nutrition drink like Boost or Ensure? He can't eat more than a bite or two why? It hurts his throat, he has nausea?
    My mother-in-law takes metaclopramide for the swallowing - and I know that there are anti-emetic medicines (helps the nausea).
    Wish I had more useful info.
  • seanslove
    seanslove Member Posts: 70
    Options
    SonSon said:

Liquid nutrition
    I am not familiar with the medicine you mention. I wonder if you can try to have him drink some nutrition drink like Boost or Ensure? He can't eat more than a bite or two why? It hurts his throat, he has nausea?
    My mother-in-law takes metaclopramide for the swallowing - and I know that there are anti-emetic medicines (helps the nausea).
    Wish I had more useful info.

thanks
    Yes he has anti semtics for the ill feelings,however,they do so little. He has no problems with swallowing or drinking,it's just he doesn't feel like doing so,always feels sick. We are trying new things as of yesterday and he got down half a pot pie and 3/4 of a fudge cycle last night. But all's starting out the same again this morning,dry heaves and pain.
  • SonSon
    SonSon Member Posts: 174
    Options
    seanslove said:

thanks
    Yes he has anti semtics for the ill feelings,however,they do so little. He has no problems with swallowing or drinking,it's just he doesn't feel like doing so,always feels sick. We are trying new things as of yesterday and he got down half a pot pie and 3/4 of a fudge cycle last night. But all's starting out the same again this morning,dry heaves and pain.

Heaves - ho...
    Hmmmm.... how about nibbling on a few saltines a while before actually eating (those of you with morning sickness may have found relief this way).
    I have also given people water with baking soda in it (about 8oz with one teaspoon - don't have to drink it all, just sip a bit). But ask the doctor first about this to be sure it does may not cause problems with meds etc.
    I really hope he finds a way over this.
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    SonSon said:

Heaves - ho...
    Hmmmm.... how about nibbling on a few saltines a while before actually eating (those of you with morning sickness may have found relief this way).
    I have also given people water with baking soda in it (about 8oz with one teaspoon - don't have to drink it all, just sip a bit). But ask the doctor first about this to be sure it does may not cause problems with meds etc.
    I really hope he finds a way over this.

sick feeling
    my husband was the same way talk to his drs tell them whats going there are many drugs to help with all kinds of side effects. Make sure he drinks so he dosn't get dehydraded.I hope he feels better soon. you hang in there to it will be hard but we as women seem to find the strength to help our loved ones in thier time of need. take care

michelle
  • terato
    terato Member Posts: 375
    Options
    seanslove said:

thanks

"milkshakes" with ginger powder
    Try taking that Ensure and blending it with ice cream and ginger powder. Ginger helps to alleviate nausea and ice cream is packed with carbs, calcium, and protein and really helps the Ensure go down!

Love and Courage!

Rick
  • sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    Options
    you know just be sure that
    you know just be sure that he drinks plenty of water, hydration is so important. buy some insure and you are good to go. eventually he will eat. those two things are essential, water is key.