side effects of gemzar

jean b
jean b Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I'd like a little info as to the side effects of Gemzar, in particular, Hair Loss.
Anyone help?

Comments

• carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    Side effects
    Jean,
    I just started on gemzar and cisplatin, so i don't know much yet. My nurses told me to wait and see before getting a buzz cut - they said I may or may not lose any hair. I don't know how much of that "may" part is due to the cisplatin, but it at the least seems to imply that gemzar must not cause hair loss all the time. When i had my one session of gemzar alone, I had practically no side effects. I stopped taking the Zofran on the second day because it was obvious i didn't need it. Oh, and I have not lost any hair yet (2.5 weeks since first gemzar/cisplatin).
    I'm sure others with more experience will chime in to help.
    Love and hugs, Carol
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645

Side effects
    Jean,
    I just started on gemzar and cisplatin, so i don't know much yet. My nurses told me to wait and see before getting a buzz cut - they said I may or may not lose any hair. I don't know how much of that "may" part is due to the cisplatin, but it at the least seems to imply that gemzar must not cause hair loss all the time. When i had my one session of gemzar alone, I had practically no side effects. I stopped taking the Zofran on the second day because it was obvious i didn't need it. Oh, and I have not lost any hair yet (2.5 weeks since first gemzar/cisplatin).
    I'm sure others with more experience will chime in to help.
    Love and hugs, Carol

how often
    Carol,

How often are you getting gemza/cisplatin? I go every two weeks this time, with Neulasta shot the following day.

Love,
    libby
  • carol2dogs
    carol2dogs Member Posts: 132
    LPack said:

how often
    Carol,

How often are you getting gemza/cisplatin? I go every two weeks this time, with Neulasta shot the following day.

Love,
    libby

Schedule
    Libby,
    I have the following schedule; Day 1 Gemzar and Cisplatin, Day 8 Gemzar alone, Day 28 start again. I was not able to get the Day 8 dose of Gemzar alone due to low white blood counts, so had it one week later, now back on a schedule with that postponed day of gemzar alone as day 8. My next chemo, with both, is July 23.
    Thanks. Love and hugs, Carol