eric38

snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This relates to your prior post about being worse than you had hoped. There have been some interesting things pop up in just the last month or two. When conventional therapy stops working, we should qualify for 2-3 very promising new trials that started this month or last. Check them out. I think you will qualify for 2 of them and if you have a good response and surgery you should qualify for the 3rd.
The two you will qualify for is the olaparib-parp inhibitor study, and the fostamatanib study. Both of these have been quite successful in previous studies for other cancers and work in similar fashion but on different mechanisms. Many of the studies on fostamatinib suggest if it works for you, a complete response is very possible and many patients have taken it for over a year with no side effects and no demonstrable decreased sensitivity. Plus it's a pill you take once a day. If you can get all your mets reduced and removed successfully, you can qualify for the panvac-v vaccine trial.

Comments

• eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Thank you so for the info. I
    Thank you so for the info. I will check into it. In 3 weeks I will find out if my current regimen is working. There are new things every day for people like us. The prognosis looks bleak but the future looks good. Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your research.

Eric
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Trials
    I would like to thank you also snommintj. I sit at this computer for many hours every day and night doing research on things that may help me. I take notes on all suggestions given on this board. These doctors are not going to tell me there is no hope for me. I know there is. I just need a plan.

Jennie
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583

Trials
    I would like to thank you also snommintj. I sit at this computer for many hours every day and night doing research on things that may help me. I take notes on all suggestions given on this board. These doctors are not going to tell me there is no hope for me. I know there is. I just need a plan.

Jennie

Idle - You have come a long
    Idle - You have come a long way from the scared worried mess you were when you came on this site. I am sure you are still struggling with fear but it is nice to see the resolve and determination.

Eric(:.)
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Dr John?
    You da man John, you know a lot about a lot.
    You're helping many folks with your extensive knowledge on this.
    Thanks.
    -p
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Hi John,you are great,I
    Hi John,you are great,I think if you are a doctor,you will be one of the best doctors in this world.You did lots of research and you know the whole picture so well.I think you can get a medical PHD already.Anyway thank you very much for sharing all the advanced knowledge you have with us.
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601

Hi John,you are great,I
    Hi John,you are great,I think if you are a doctor,you will be one of the best doctors in this world.You did lots of research and you know the whole picture so well.I think you can get a medical PHD already.Anyway thank you very much for sharing all the advanced knowledge you have with us.

How sweet
    I actually did very well on the MCAT and was accepted to many of the top medical schools. But I am an engineer at heart and couldn't justify spending my life pursuing a career that is still in it's infancy. I like to know what's going. I wouldn't be able to treat patients the way my Drs have treated me. I would have to know everything. I remember asking my oncologist how 5fu worked when he first put me on it. I'll never forget his answer as long as I live. He told me he didn't know and had never thought about it. He just knew they had been using for a long time and that everything else I got with it was to boost it's efficacy. WTF! How is it possible that a profession can justify prescribing treatment without knowing how it works. That would literally drive me insane. I have been working on a theory as to why 5fu worked. I was working backward using oxaliplatin and camptothesin as reagents that drove a reaction. I kind of got stuck and gave up on it. It was a great relief to me to finally learn how it worked last month, even though it's mechanism is very scary. I don't really like to know something is altering my DNA. I asked my oncologist if he had heard how it worked, he said he didn't hear about it. But I understand, he's busy treating folks the way the Govt tells him he can treat them. That's not me.
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    snommintj said:

How sweet
    I actually did very well on the MCAT and was accepted to many of the top medical schools. But I am an engineer at heart and couldn't justify spending my life pursuing a career that is still in it's infancy. I like to know what's going. I wouldn't be able to treat patients the way my Drs have treated me. I would have to know everything. I remember asking my oncologist how 5fu worked when he first put me on it. I'll never forget his answer as long as I live. He told me he didn't know and had never thought about it. He just knew they had been using for a long time and that everything else I got with it was to boost it's efficacy. WTF! How is it possible that a profession can justify prescribing treatment without knowing how it works. That would literally drive me insane. I have been working on a theory as to why 5fu worked. I was working backward using oxaliplatin and camptothesin as reagents that drove a reaction. I kind of got stuck and gave up on it. It was a great relief to me to finally learn how it worked last month, even though it's mechanism is very scary. I don't really like to know something is altering my DNA. I asked my oncologist if he had heard how it worked, he said he didn't hear about it. But I understand, he's busy treating folks the way the Govt tells him he can treat them. That's not me.

I agree with all of you
    I agree with everyone here. You have been great help. I too spend many hour on the web looking for answers and write down info.I am reading books too. Sometimes I get on overload. It helps looking at post and knowing that people are here that have been around and have knowledge.
    You are a great help to people. Thanks so much!!!

And Jennie you have come a long way. We are both new to all this but YOU GO GIRL. Never give up.Paula G.
  • polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202 Member
    hi
    hi i know someone who maybe would qualify for these trials. is there a link to more info on how to get into one? i have googled it but haven't found what I am looking for..Thanks