Tamoxifen and hot flashes

Options
saunafin
saunafin Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just finished 7 weeks of radiation for DCIS and was put on Tamoxifen, which is giving me horrific hot flashes. I can't take my favorite Premarin any longer and miss it so much. I'm tempted to give up the Tamoxifen and just take my chances my cancer won't return. Any advice??

Comments

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Sauna..........
    I felt exactly the same as you.......It doesn't last very long......Maybe 4 - 6 months. then the only problem is remembering to take it!.....
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • saunafin
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Sauna..........
    I felt exactly the same as you.......It doesn't last very long......Maybe 4 - 6 months. then the only problem is remembering to take it!.....
    Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you saying that the hot
    Are you saying that the hot flashes will lessen in intensity after 4-6 months? I would hate to give up too soon; I've only been on it for 1 1/2 weeks. Thanks!!!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    saunafin said:

Are you saying that the hot flashes will lessen in intensity after 4-6 months? I would hate to give up too soon; I've only been on it for 1 1/2 weeks. Thanks!!!

Hi
    YES they will!.........Please stick with it for your own good,,,,,,,,,Huga Jxxxxxxxxxxx
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Hi
    YES they will!.........Please stick with it for your own good,,,,,,,,,Huga Jxxxxxxxxxxx

So, do the hot flashes
    So, do the hot flashes really stop?
  • LilSister
    LilSister Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Mine still going
    I didn't get to take Tamoxifen, I'm triple negative. My hot flashes are from the chemo induced memopause. 2 Years out and still having hot flashes.
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Handling It Well Here!
    Started taking Tamoxifen November 2008, had a lumpectomy (tomorrow, 7/16/09 is my one year anniversary of the lumpectomy.) Had early Stage 1, NO CHEMO and six weeks radiation, which ended in October 2008. I've been on Tamoxifen for about eight months and have not had any hot flashes or other crazy side effects. I'm too young for menopause and was concerned about menopause like symptons such as hot flashes. From what I understand, if you have a hot flash you know it. I have night sweats once in a while, but other than that so far so good.

I hope the hot flashes stop for you or at least lessen.
  • saunafin
    Options
    Piggies said:

Handling It Well Here!
    Started taking Tamoxifen November 2008, had a lumpectomy (tomorrow, 7/16/09 is my one year anniversary of the lumpectomy.) Had early Stage 1, NO CHEMO and six weeks radiation, which ended in October 2008. I've been on Tamoxifen for about eight months and have not had any hot flashes or other crazy side effects. I'm too young for menopause and was concerned about menopause like symptons such as hot flashes. From what I understand, if you have a hot flash you know it. I have night sweats once in a while, but other than that so far so good.

Waiting for relief
    Piggies, thank you for your kinds wishes! Because I am post-menopausal, starting Tamoxifen has really made my hot flashes return in full force with night sweats, day sweats, and occasional insomnia. I get so drenched and uncomfortable; I can't always take my clothes off like I do at home. I'm chatting with the Cancer Center nurse tomorrow to see if my side effects are normal and if they'll lessen after 6 months or so. I sure hope so. I want to give the medication a chance to work, considering my case was caught so early. I just had a lumpectomy in March. Take care of yourself.
  • LilSister
    LilSister Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Piggies said:

Handling It Well Here!

Too young for Memopause?
    No body is too young for memopause. You didn't have chemo, that's why your overies are still working.
  • phillis313
    phillis313 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    LilSister said:

Too young for Memopause?
    No body is too young for memopause. You didn't have chemo, that's why your overies are still working.

Tamoxifen and flashes
    I've been on it for about 6 months now. (Had DCIS, lumpectomy and rad)
    I honestly can't tell what is a drug affect, or a possible normal happening. Being 47 and close to menopause I feel like I'm going crazy any way. LOL! Had a few flashes in the beginning. Now I'm noticing some different menstrual cycles and to be honest...my sex drive is very low...any one else experience this? I love my hubby tremendously...

I had always been on birth control which kept things even keel. Now I'm not sure if this is just normal me without BC or me with Tamoxifen....Overall, I feel I can't complain. My experience has been very non intrusive to lifestyle. I'd hang with it a little longer.

Lisa
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    saunafin said:

I was on Tamoxifen for 9
    I was on Tamoxifen for 9 months and the hot flashes did not lessen or stop. I was switched to Aromasin (not because of the hot flashes) and was on it for 2 1/2 years. The terrible hot flashes continued. Each person is different. At least give it a good try.