ER and PR positive

Options
mrsziggy
mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Looking at my path reports, I see that I'm 90% ER and PR positive. I don't even know what that means. I'm not taking any meds or having any treatments. Can someone please help me understand. My doc saids that since my c was non-invasive DCIS that ER and PR does not apply to me. I'm confused!!!!!
Tracy

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I have DCIS and I am ER and
    I have DCIS and I am ER and PR+ too. My oncologist wants me to take Tamoxifen as hormone therapy. But, I am undecided if I want to take it or not.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

I have DCIS and I am ER and
    I have DCIS and I am ER and PR+ too. My oncologist wants me to take Tamoxifen as hormone therapy. But, I am undecided if I want to take it or not.

Sorry I don't have the
    Sorry I don't have the answer for you, but I am sure someone will. Goodluck
  • arbojenn
    arbojenn Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Mmmm. I do not see how the
    Mmmm. I do not see how the ER positive would NOT apply to you. Are you going to get a second opinion? With something this serious, that is a good idea. Most insurances cover a second opinion. I would check it out.
  • SoftBallMom2
    SoftBallMom2 Member Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am both er and pr
    Hello! I am both er and pr positive and my dr has already told me I will be on hormone medicine after chemo. Don't know much about all of it since I am just starting chemo in a few weeks. I would definitely find out more. Good Luck!
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options

Hello! I am both er and pr
    Hello! I am both er and pr positive and my dr has already told me I will be on hormone medicine after chemo. Don't know much about all of it since I am just starting chemo in a few weeks. I would definitely find out more. Good Luck!

Being ER and PR positive
    Being ER and PR positive means you will have hormone therapy, usually tamoxifen.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    My thought....
    I think what he may mean by the phrase "it doesn't apply to you" is that because your cancer is Ductal Cacinoma In Situ, if they removed it all, some people require no other treatment. But it depends... Did you have a mestectomy or lumpectomy? A lot of times if it was a mestectomy, than no other treatment is neccessary since the tumor was contained to where it originally started and did not spread to any surrounding breast tissue. This is considered a stage 0 if no lymph nodes were positive. The ER/PR status applies to what makes your cancer grow. I would ask him to explain to you why he feels no other treatment is neccessary. If he does not give you a satisfactory answer, then I would seek a second opinion. I do have a friend that had a mastectomy for DCIS and is not doing any other treatment. Hope this helped. :) Pammy
  • mrsziggy
    mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

My thought....
    I think what he may mean by the phrase "it doesn't apply to you" is that because your cancer is Ductal Cacinoma In Situ, if they removed it all, some people require no other treatment. But it depends... Did you have a mestectomy or lumpectomy? A lot of times if it was a mestectomy, than no other treatment is neccessary since the tumor was contained to where it originally started and did not spread to any surrounding breast tissue. This is considered a stage 0 if no lymph nodes were positive. The ER/PR status applies to what makes your cancer grow. I would ask him to explain to you why he feels no other treatment is neccessary. If he does not give you a satisfactory answer, then I would seek a second opinion. I do have a friend that had a mastectomy for DCIS and is not doing any other treatment. Hope this helped. :) Pammy

Thanks Pammy
    I did have a

Thanks Pammy

I did have a mestectomy and I was a stage 0. So I do understand why no treatments are needed. I'm just concerned why he doesn't think I need any hormone treatment.

Tracy
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mrsziggy said:

Thanks Pammy
    I did have a

Thanks Pammy

I did have a mestectomy and I was a stage 0. So I do understand why no treatments are needed. I'm just concerned why he doesn't think I need any hormone treatment.

Tracy

You should question your
    You should question your oncologist further Tracy and have him explain why you have no further treatment. I thought you would still be on hormone therapy, but, maybe not. Let us know what he says as to why you aren't. Because even with a mastectomy, you still have breast tissue left.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

You should question your
    You should question your oncologist further Tracy and have him explain why you have no further treatment. I thought you would still be on hormone therapy, but, maybe not. Let us know what he says as to why you aren't. Because even with a mastectomy, you still have breast tissue left.

Yes, let us know why you
    Yes, let us know why you aren't on any hormone therapy. I always thought everyone that was ER and PR positive would be no matter what stage they were.