Sarcastic Question :)

Options
j916
j916 Member Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
So..... i was just walking down the hall and noticed this guy that i work with and this thought popped into my head:

Why, when a guy shaves his head for the summer time so he won't get as hot/sweaty, whatever, that by fall it is almost back to where you can't tell he buzzed it, when it seems to take a lifetime for our beautiful hair to come back?

:)

just a question :)

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Probably because he shaved
    Probably because he shaved it and didn't disturb hair follicles and chemo must react on the hair follicles to cause hair loss. It makes sense that it would take longer for those to recover and hair to regrow. A little like the difference between shaving and waxing. One removes the root, the other doesn't. Just my thoughts.
    Stef
  • chickad52
    chickad52 Member Posts: 497
    Options
    fauxma said:

Probably because he shaved
    Probably because he shaved it and didn't disturb hair follicles and chemo must react on the hair follicles to cause hair loss. It makes sense that it would take longer for those to recover and hair to regrow. A little like the difference between shaving and waxing. One removes the root, the other doesn't. Just my thoughts.
    Stef

SOUNDS RIGHT
    Stef, that sounds right to me. Our hair is falling out by the roots!! Diane
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    chickad52 said:

SOUNDS RIGHT
    Stef, that sounds right to me. Our hair is falling out by the roots!! Diane

Stef is exactly right...
    The base of the hair follicles are approx. 1/4" below the surface of the skin/scalp. Also, the effects of final chemo last for weeks afterward. So, the hair doesn't even begin to grow for quite some time; then, grows below the skin's surface before we can see/feel it.
  • Terri5
    Terri5 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I could give you the same
    I could give you the same answer as everyone else, the chemo effect, the hair follicles coming out, but when it comes down to it, it takes an awful long time for our hair to grow back. I finished with chemo back in March of 2007, and my hair is just to my shoulders now. But any of my sons can shave their head and with-in 6 months their hair is down almost to their shoulders. It just doesn't seem fair.
  • Terri5
    Terri5 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I could give you the same
    I could give you the same answer as everyone else, the chemo effect, the hair follicles coming out, but when it comes down to it, it takes an awful long time for our hair to grow back. I finished with chemo back in March of 2007, and my hair is just to my shoulders now. But any of my sons can shave their head and with-in 6 months their hair is down almost to their shoulders. It just doesn't seem fair.