Oncologist?

Options
mrsziggy
mrsziggy Member Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need input please. My original dx (non-invasive DCIS) was made in Pensacola, FL where I also had a lumpectomy and lymph node removal. After clear margins and clean nodes, I was sent to my oncologists for a treatment plan. One oncologist said everything looked good - all I needed was 6 wks of radiation followed by 5 yrs of Tamoxifen. The other was concerned about a close margin and ordered a breast MRI which I had. I received the results from that oncologist who gave me the go ahead with radiation. WELL, for some reason I did not have a peace. So I started getting copies of all my records, including the MRI, and sent them to Birmingham, AL where friends had recommended I go. I had a friend that made a phone call and got me in with the head of surgery. Everyone there has been very helpful. Since I live 4 hrs away, they looked over all my records even without me coming in first. We communicated by phone several times before they asked me to come in and have all my tests redone. They saw suspicious areas on my MRI that was done in P'Cola. So here I go. 4 hours one way but I felt like I was in good hands. I know God sent me there because they did find more DCIS in the left breast which required me to have a mast. because I had already had 2 surgeries on that breast. I opted to have a bilateral mast which was also God because, come to find out, I had DCIS in both breasts. They said scans to not always show the DCIS which proved to be true in my case. So I said all that to make a point. My surgeon in Birmingham said since I had a bilateral mast and my bc was non-invasive, that no oncologists are needed. No tamoxifen, no oncologists, no NOTHING. He is going to follow up with yearly MRIs. Does this sound normal?
I'm a little uneasy about just being let go after having cancer in not only one, but both breasts. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tracy

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Hi Tracy
    Hi Tracy! I would think that you would need to see an oncologist, just to

go over your pathology reports and discuss possible treatment or non treatment. You have to

be either ER and PR positve or ER and PR negative. And, those need treatment. The positive

is treated with Tamoxifen or the Al's, and, the Negative is with something else. And, that

info would be on your pathology report. Also, are you HER2 negative or positive? Those get

treated also. I do think you need to see an oncologist as they are experts in the field of

cancer and can help you with your future treatment. I don't understand why a surgeon would

say no to that. Perhaps, you need nothing, but, I would assume you would at the least, need

hormone therapy. Please update us. Good luck!

Hugs, Jeanne
  • piseminger
    piseminger Member Posts: 35
    Options
    no chemo/radiation
    Hi Tracy,
    I don't know all the stats on my mom's cancer but I do know she had a double mastecomy 27 years ago. It may have spread to one lymph node. The chemo dr. recommend chemo only as a precaution. However she felt led by God not to do chemo or radiation. It was a choice only she could make. She took no treatment and is still alive 27 years later with no reoccurrence of cancer.
    Mom was 48 when her was found and she is now 75!!!!! To God be the Glory great things He has done.

I just pray that I am as blessed. I was diagnosed in Oct 08 (age 52) in one breast. Had to have mastecomy, chemo and radiation because of size and that 4 lymph node were involved.

Making the decision, as to want to do, is always the most difficult thing to do. I wish you a peace of mind in whatever you decide.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Hi Tracy
    Hi Tracy! I would think that you would need to see an oncologist, just to

go over your pathology reports and discuss possible treatment or non treatment. You have to

be either ER and PR positve or ER and PR negative. And, those need treatment. The positive

is treated with Tamoxifen or the Al's, and, the Negative is with something else. And, that

info would be on your pathology report. Also, are you HER2 negative or positive? Those get

treated also. I do think you need to see an oncologist as they are experts in the field of

cancer and can help you with your future treatment. I don't understand why a surgeon would

say no to that. Perhaps, you need nothing, but, I would assume you would at the least, need

hormone therapy. Please update us. Good luck!

Hugs, Jeanne

Tracy, I agree with Jeanne.

Tracy, I agree with Jeanne. The only 'treatment' that my oncologist has administered is Tamoxifen (I only took it for 6 months because I developed blood clots, probably totally unrelated to the Tamoxifen). But, I have had appointments with her every 6 months or year since 2000. She is the cancer expert and the one that I consider to be my cancer doctor. She checks my breast area and does a physical-type exam, reviews all tests I've had during the year, checks for any potential new cancer, and she also makes sure that if there are any additional drugs that might be appropriate for me, that I start taking them. Even if there are no drugs used, I'd recommend seeing an oncologist on a regular basis.

Joyce
  • Ltalcott
    Ltalcott Member Posts: 119
    Options
    non-invasive
    I think the key to your treatment plan is that you had non-invasive cancer.

You've had all the breast tissue removed with your bilateral mastectomy, and the cancer was enclosed in the ducts. That's what DCIS is. ductal carcinoma in situ--in place, not roaming around.

Most of us have invasive cancers, and that's the more worrisome aspect--what has it invaded?

Do you feel confident with your Birmigham surgeon? If so, go with that recommendation. If not, ask for a second opinion. Yearly MRI sounds like it would catch anything. MRIs are really sensitive--that's how my cancer was caught, in spite of routine mammograms and ultrasounds. My breasts were too dense with too many fluid-filled cysts to see much easily.

I'm not sure the DCIS comes out with ER-PR status?

Lisa